Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t see it. Not because he can’t play it, but he got more than enough accolades at QB in HS, and knowing he’s probably not an NFL WR with his body type, dude will transfer to play QB elsewhere if he doesn’t win the job, or wins it and loses later. JQJ probably needs time to develop, and Card will be ready sooner. It’s going to be a difficult dynamic between Card, JQJ, and Millie logjammed together. Which is why we need Ewers.  JQJ might just get moved to LB as well by year 2. 

I think Card will give Thompson the biggest push for the 21 starting role.  Think if JQJ sticks at QB he and Card will compete for the 22 starting spot through out the Spring and Summer.  As much as I want to see it, I just can't envision Card, JQJ and Milroe all being on the '23 roster.

18 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, he’s got the build to hold up at nickel and could make more plays on the ball there. It’ll probably depend on who we else we have at outside CB and nickel. My guess is the need will be greater at outside CB, but we’ll see. 

Yep, with Bowman coming in as an ideal Nickel prospect I see Crawfords skill set being best utilized outside 

So in 2021, we have

RS Jr - Thompson

RS Fr - Card

RS Fr - Jackson

RS'ing - Milroe.

Not the greatest depth chart, but at least you have 3 guys that have been in the system for at least 1 year. The assumption here is Johnson stays at RB, because he's needed there, and he's pretty good at the position. I think a bigish season (1,200+ total yards; 15+ TDs) from Ingram takes him into the draft. Not because he's going to get drafted high, no RB's get drafted that high anymore. Just that he'd want to get his NFL career started.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I don’t see it. Not because he can’t play it, but he got more than enough accolades at QB in HS, and knowing he’s probably not an NFL WR with his body type, dude will transfer to play QB elsewhere if he doesn’t win the job, or wins it and loses later. JQJ probably needs time to develop, and Card will be ready sooner. It’s going to be a difficult dynamic between Card, JQJ, and Millie logjammed together. Which is why we need Ewers.  JQJ might just get moved to LB as well by year 2. 

I wasn’t being serious lol.  I’m just glad we are recruiting multiple badasses at the position now.  Some of them will be busts, change positions or transfer.  At least one should be good though.

19 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

So in 2021, we have

RS Jr - Thompson

RS Fr - Card

RS Fr - Jackson

RS'ing - Milroe.

Not the greatest depth chart, but at least you have 3 guys that have been in the system for at least 1 year. The assumption here is Johnson stays at RB, because he's needed there, and he's pretty good at the position. I think a bigish season (1,200+ total yards; 15+ TDs) from Ingram takes him into the draft. Not because he's going to get drafted high, no RB's get drafted that high anymore. Just that he'd want to get his NFL career started.

I think that's about as good of a depth chart as you could hope for in today's game. I mean, I wish we had a stud Junior or redshirt sophomore ready to takeover after next year who has some experience. But that doesn't happen anymore unless you're Ohio State and you can pay 5-stars to transfer to your school and play immediately under the guise of "one time a fan said something racist" 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I wasn’t being serious lol.  I’m just glad we are recruiting multiple badasses at the position now.  Some of them will be busts, change positions or transfer.  At least one should be good though.

Sorry, I guess I just assumed you and Futureman were teaming up on this one.

/ducks

• Haha 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

I think that's about as good of a depth chart as you could hope for in today's game. I mean, I wish we had a stud Junior or redshirt sophomore ready to takeover after next year who has some experience. But that doesn't happen anymore unless you're Ohio State and you can pay 5-stars to transfer to your school and play immediately under the guise of "one time a fan said something racist" 

Well, it sorta happens if you actually blow out teams of inferior talent and give meaningful snaps to your backups...

Ironically, that kind of success typically also has talented QBs looking to transfer happy to consider you as an option. Go fuck yourself Lincoln Riley, and you too Tim Beck!

52 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

As much as I want to see it, I just can't envision Card, JQJ and Milroe all being on the '23 roster.

That’s just the reality of  CFB today. You try to take as many good QBs as you can, knowing the ones that don’t start by about year 2 will probably transfer.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, it sorta happens if you actually blow out teams of inferior talent and give meaningful snaps to your backups...

Ironically, that kind of success typically also has talented QBs looking to transfer happy to consider you as an option. Go fuck yourself Lincoln Riley, and you too Tim Beck!

It doesn’t though. No team has a loaded depth chart. Not Bama, tOSU, Clemson, etc. Clemson had multiple blue chip QBs transfer once it became clear Lawrence was the guy. Same with Bama and Tua. Burrow left tOSU and they had nothing until they landed Fields in the offseason. 

As for transfers, it’s a little early to sing Texas on that since Sam’s still here. It’s not out of the question that we could land a transfer BQ next offseason, though I doubt they will since the coaches are probably pretty happy with our QB room. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It doesn’t though. No team has a loaded depth chart. Not Bama, tOSU, Clemson, etc. Clemson had multiple blue chip QBs transfer once it became clear Lawrence was the guy. Same with Bama and Tua. Burrow left tOSU and they had nothing until they landed Fields in the offseason. 

As for transfers, it’s a little early to sing Texas on that since Sam’s still here. It’s not out of the question that we could land a transfer BQ next offseason, though I doubt they will since the coaches are probably pretty happy with our QB room.

The initial post I was responding to specified that it would be nice to have a RS sophomore or JR with experience in line to take over when Sam leaves. That flat out could be Casey Thompson if we blew fucking teams out we should have last year and gave him snaps. There's still a chance that could be Thompson after this season if we do the things we failed to do in 2019. So yes, it does sorta happen at other programs. Are they five star Justin Fields? No, of course not. But there's no reason we couldn't have at least one guy with game and program experience on our roster that could be serviceable to good. Not all of the QBs you go after are the uber talents out of HS, some are the depth you develop that can be good QBs after a couple of years and a lot of reps. Leach has done that shit for years. Casey Thompson wasn't exactly going to be a hot commodity on the Transfer portal. In fact, he took a looksie and probably didn't like what he saw. You go after those guys too, they're an important part of the QB room. And some of them can become Colt McCoy. 

The cycling through of QBs like Clemson, OU, 'Bama, Ohio State, etc. are a different kind of problem than what I was discussing. Maybe we'll have that problem sooner than later. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

The initial post I was responding to specified that it would be nice to have a RS sophomore or JR with experience in line to take over when Sam leaves. That flat out could be Casey Thompson if we blew fucking teams out we should have last year and gave him snaps. There's still a chance that could be Thompson after this season if we do the things we failed to do in 2019. So yes, it does sorta happen at other programs. Are they five star Justin Fields? No, of course not. But there's no reason we couldn't have at least one guy with game and program experience on our roster that could be serviceable to good. Not all of the QBs you go after are the uber talents out of HS, some are the depth you develop that can be good QBs after a couple of years and a lot of reps. Leach has done that shit for years. Casey Thompson wasn't exactly going to be a hot commodity on the Transfer portal. In fact, he took a looksie and probably didn't like what he saw. You go after those guys too, they're an important part of the QB room. And some of them can become Colt McCoy. 

He said “I wishwe had a stud Junior or redshirt sophomore ready to takeover after next year who has some experience. ” That’s what doesn’t happen and almost no schools have that. If a guy’s a stud, he’s not staying to be a backup for 3 years. Thompson’s about as good as you can hope for when looking for a guy like that.

Plus we have an experienced backup QB. Backup QB’s become experienced by having thousands of reps in practice, not playing in garbage time. We have an experienced backup who will be a fourth year when Sam leaves, plus 2 blue chip second years and a blue chip TR FR. That’s about as good as a team can expect in today’s game. 

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - LSU and Ohio ST blew out teams all year - and their backups only had 40 & 43 pass attempts respectively. 

That's because backup QBs don't throw the ball around in blowouts. They come in to hand the ball off and end the game. 

Really, injuries are the only way to get legit reps at QB for backups. 

8 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - LSU and Ohio ST blew out teams all year - and their backups only had 40 & 43 pass attempts respectively. 

LSU didn’t blow us out.....put it on the wall!!!

30 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's because backup QBs don't throw the ball around in blowouts. They come in to hand the ball off and end the game. 

Really, injuries are the only way to get legit reps at QB for backups. 

Or unless Leach is the coach.  Then, the backups get to run up the score as well and the QB's don't tend to have a dropoff from year to year.

25 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Ya'll are pretending Casey stays through this offseason. I'm shocked he's not in the portal yet, but I fully expect to see him there before the season starts. Card will be the backup and we won't see much of him in blowouts to preserve the redshirt. 

I think there's a decent chance he sticks around to compete for the 2021 job for at least part of that offseason, until Card starts to beat him out 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think there's a decent chance he sticks around to compete for the 2021 job for at least part of that offseason, until Card starts to beat him out 

Yeah it's pretty unlikely he transfers before next offseason imo.

Ya'll are pretending Casey stays through this offseason. I'm shocked he's not in the portal yet, but I fully expect to see him there before the season starts. Card will be the backup and we won't see much of him in blowouts to preserve the redshirt. 

Ya I don’t see Casey staying.

2 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yep, with Bowman coming in as an ideal Nickel prospect I see Crawfords skill set being best utilized outside 

bowman seems like an ideal slot prospect as well.  that guy might be more valuable with the ball in his hands.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

bowman seems like an ideal slot prospect as well.  that guy might be more valuable with the ball in his hands.

With his instincts I think him at nickel would result in the ball being in his hands frequently. You really cant go wrong with him though, will be exciting to watch

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So about 40 more than ours had?

Casey Thompson had 12 attempts.

Do you think those 30 attempts in garbage time are the difference between being ready or not?

The point is that the only back ups that are getting real snaps are back ups that are filling in for an injured starter.

On 5/5/2020 at 2:03 PM, LTtxfan said:

1) Besides Bijan and the QB's, what 2020 Class players have Surly folks hyped for the future and why?

Jerrin Thompson is also the real deal. With the exception of probably Mukuba, he would be the best safety in Texas this cycle. He'll almost certainly rotate in as a RS-FR and should start the following season. His game sets up well to be a fan favorite type. Big hitter, humble guy. 

4 hours ago, futureman said:

4 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

With his instincts I think him at nickel would result in the ball being in his hands frequently. You really cant go wrong with him though, will be exciting to watch

Let's get the ball in his hands on kickoffs and punt returns.

We just have to roll with what we have at LB.. at some point you just have to trust your evaluations that brought them to Austin in the first place.  Mitchell is a headcase but he's flashed before. With a new staff hopefully it gives him peace of mind that's they are gonna put him in a place to succeed.. no more portal talk.

• Like 1

Just now, Thiefery said:

We just have to roll with what we have at LB.. at some point you just have to trust your evaluations that brought them to Austin in the first place.  Mitchell is a headcase but he's flashed before. With a new staff hopefully it gives him peace of mind that's they are gonna put him in a place to succeed.. no more portal talk.

And he actually has a linebackers coach now. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And he actually has a linebackers coach now. 

this in concert with a much more basic scheme will allow athletes to you know ... be athletes.

instead of always almost making a play because they are recovering from a failed blitz that started in Lampasas on 3rd and 71. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

this in concert with a much more basic scheme will allow athletes to you know ... be athletes.

instead of always almost making a play because they are recovering from a failed blitz that started in Lampasas on 3rd and 71. 

Lol, nice.  That Jacquess kid didn't look too shabby in the middle.  Hell, if Baylor can produce a salty defense in this conference then Texas ought to be able to replicate it.

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

Edited by cafe society

6 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

We don't have much coaching continuity but we do have an experienced roster. I'd say we're somewhere in the middle in terms of how much we're effected. 

• Like 2