Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that if were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

Install was supposedly done and Yurch has been praised for his ability to maintain terminology from Tom's system to his own. The offense will be fine. The OL as a concern is probably overblown, but concerning nonetheless. The spring would have given clues on rotation. They'll need to make some quick decisions in the fall to create unity in the first group. 

Guys that were changing positions, or whose primary responsibilities have changed on defense will be the biggest story of the season. When can Overshown react without thinking too much? How will 4Is adjust to 3t or 5t? How will Cook adapt to being responsible for holding the entire defense together at Nickel corner? Letting athletes athlete is great and a major improvement over #scheme4life, but I think the hope is they have it figured out by the RRS.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

I agree with Tex. I think practice and whatnot is really important, and no doubt we're going to hurt. But the defensive scheme is supposed to be simplified and more fundamentally based, so hopefully it's pretty easy to pick up. Additionally, I'm not sure Yurich and Herman were that different fundamentally in scheme and whatnot. So outside of a few pages here and there of new plays and formations, I'm hoping the big uptick offensively actually comes from scouting opponents, situational playcalling, and marrying talent with the best plays. In other words my optimism on offense comes directly from hopefully having a full time OC who isn't a fucking playcalling retard. 

I will add that defensively a big drawback is for the players to not have a chance to practice and improve tackling in a manner that doesn't result in 1-2 separated shoulders or concussions a game. Ash was big into Rugby style tackling I believe. That could be an issue for us. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that if were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

I've gone over this a lot in my head trying to decide. I think the offensive scheme and stuff won't be that different from what the guys have been doing, so scheme-wise I don't think there will be a burden on the team or the coaches. On defense I think we will see a much more basic defense and guys will suddenly look a lot faster than they did a season ago. The biggest learning curve will be the players trusting themselves and there's not a lot the spring game would do for them that wouldn't still remain a question mark. So overall I don't think scheme is going to be as hard to change as it sounds. Getting simpler and letting athletes be athletes is a quick change (see Michigan last season, or Greg Robinson fixing the Texas D mess in 2013)

The offense clearly would be better served to have WR figured out better than it will be. Same with RB. I think both of those could be visible and painful growing pains. 

Overall I think the biggest downside will be that it will take the staff a while to find the right rotations of complimentary players, and it will be much harder for them to trust the FR (and to a lesser extent the RS FR) so some of that will have to shake out in the first 2-3 games. 

I think we'll be FAR better fighting through growing pains than we'd have been with the previous OC/DC by a LARGE margin. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm going to post this here since I don't patronize the fucktard board.  I'd be interested in people's feedback.  How much do you think - if at all - not being able to go through spring practice with new schemes and coordinators will hurt us?  I'm not usually a kool-aid guy but I'm not a satyagash, either.  I think that were we able to practice in pads this spring that we go to the playoffs, but with the pandemic we're hurt more than teams with more scheme/coaching continuity.

That is...very optimistic. 

As for your question, I don’t think it will be a problem at all on O. The scheme change isn’t big and we have the same HC and  OL coach plus a 4th year starter at QB. 
 Defense will be simplified and I think the front 7 will be fine. The secondary will be the tough part. A big part of Ash’s scheme working is his ability to teach press techniques and his quarters system requires a good bit of cohesion on the backend. The lack of in-person technique and repping quarters properly will probably hurt some, considering how terrible our DBs’ technique  was under the old regime and how mind-fucked our DBs seemed to be by the end of Orlando’s tenure. Overall though, we have a lot of vets and older guys. I think they’ll be able to catch up pretty quickly. 

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

We don't have much coaching continuity but we do have an experienced roster. I'd say we're somewhere in the middle in terms of how much we're effected. 

*affected

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I will add that defensively a big drawback is for the players to not have a chance to practice and improve tackling in a manner that doesn't result in 1-2 separated shoulders or concussions a game. Ash was big into Rugby style tackling I believe. That could be an issue for us. 

This is a good point to bring up. Our guys obviously have horrible technique at this point, but in watching Ash’s training videos and tOSU’s coverage of his first offseason there, the change came primarily from fit drills and technique work that can be repped a ton, even in non-padded practices. He would usually have the whole defense start practice with fit technique.
I think he can get a lot of reps in on this without needing a bunch of padded practices. Obviously the players will need to have some live reps, but I think he can make a big change here if he just gets a full fall camp to implement. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a good point to bring up. Our guys obviously have horrible technique at this point, but in watching Ash’s training videos and tOSU’s coverage of his first offseason there, the change came primarily from fit drills and technique work that can be repped a ton, even in non-padded practices. He would usually have the whole defense start practice with fit technique.
I think he can get a lot of reps in on this without needing a bunch of padded practices. Obviously the players will need to have some live reps, but I think he can make a big change here if he just gets a full fall camp to implement. 

Yup, Ash is quoted as saying that when our guys were making tackles, they were essentially doing it rugby style.

While that's not entirely true, it does stand to reason that he's going to adjust, not overhaul.

• Like 1

Good discussion by @golfclap and @Burt Macklin . Appreciate it.

I hope Sam spends as much time as possible this off season tossing long, downfield passes to Eagles, Smith, Washington, etc. and improves his timing and accuracy.  And works with Leibrock on some red zone stuff.  A credible downfield threat can really open things up for the offense.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cafe society said:

I think no spring workouts hinders the Texas defense more than the offense, but is really not a big concern for me.

As the season goes along, the Texas Defense will continue to significantly improve as long as their key players stay healthy.  Ash's defense will really free up the athleticism of several players... and the pass rush will be much better than 2020.  Turnovers will increase too.

Yurcich needs to unleash the offense with better gameplans and playcalling.  Horns really need high point production in their early games to allow time for the defense to come together under their new schemes...

On a bright note -- Horns special teams will be much improved in 2020!!

Glad it's the easier B12 road schedule... (Knock-on-Wood!!!)

• Oct 3rd @ K-STATE
  • Oct 24th @ TECH
  • Nov 7th @ Kansas
  • Nov 27th @ OKIE LITE

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm worried about three games:   Red Stick,  State Fair and Stillwater.  I would be very surprised and disappointed if we lost to anyone else.

Who the hell is red stick? Say the name of the school and don’t make up idiotic nicknames.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

2 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

Who the hell is red stick? Say the name of the school and don’t make up idiotic nicknames.

Red Stick = LSU.

5 minutes ago, cafe society said:

I'm worried about three games: Red Stick,  State Fair and Stillwater.  I would be very surprised and disappointed if we lost to anyone else.

I'd add Iowa State to that list as well.

On 5/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, texifornia said:

Carrington's following a ProKick Australia punter who's listed as a 2020 on the one site I could find: https://twitter.com/Isaac_Pearson23

Y'all should really take a look at this kid's follows: https://twitter.com/Isaac_Pearson23/following

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Walte464 said:

I’m sorry you’re ignorant. Dude listed 3 locations of the games he’s concerned about, not nicknames. Stillwater is in Oklahoma. Baton Rogue is french for Red Stick. LSU is in Baton Rogue, LA. Do you need someone to point out to you the location of the Texas State Fair or what game is played there every October?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Red Stick = LSU.

I'd add Iowa State to that list as well.

I like our chances to run the table at home, especially if there are fans in DKR.  We would have won up there last year - in spite of a dismal gameplan -  if the very predictable turtling didn't happen at the end.  And yes, I realize that turtling may be redundant in relation to gameplan.

4 hours ago, golfclap said:

I've gone over this a lot in my head trying to decide. I think the offensive scheme and stuff won't be that different from what the guys have been doing, so scheme-wise I don't think there will be a burden on the team or the coaches

With decent to good play calling ,  the offense doesn't really need to be that much different. 

If the coaching,  especially at WR is better the offense should be pretty dam good.   Especially if the O'line gives Sam time to throw.  

Edited by Laga4

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m sorry you’re ignorant. Dude listed 3 locations of the games he’s concerned about, not nicknames. Stillwater is in Oklahoma. Baton Rogue is french for Red Stick. LSU is in Baton Rogue, LA. Do you need someone to point out to you the location of the Texas State Fair or what game is played there every October?

Obviously Stillwater and State Fair are obvious jackass, not everyone knows what red stick is, pull the stick outta your ass.

Edited by Walte464
Duh
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 10

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

One of the comments refers to Kelvontay as “Moochie” so I looked it up and found this article.

https://www.panolawatchman.com/sports/football-preview-dixon-ready-for-big-senior-season/article_56a0f8b4-c3ac-11e9-941a-93700accefe9.html

“When I was little I used to go nibble food off of other people’s plates,” he said. “That’s what they started calling me and it stuck.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

But the defensive scheme is supposed to be simplified

Random thought -- It seems to be a truism now that ever time a coordinator is fired, at just about any school, he is replaced by someone whose scheme is "more simplified," usually accompanied by the phrase "will let the athletes react and make plays."  How the hell do guys with non-simplified schemes keep getting hired?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Random thought -- It seems to be a truism now that ever time a coordinator is fired, at just about any school, he is replaced by someone whose scheme is "more simplified," usually accompanied by the phrase "will let the athletes react and make plays."  How the hell do guys with non-simplified schemes keep getting hired?

There is a kernel of truth to that - on almost any coordinator shift the new OC/DC will simplify things to the bones, both to make sure everyone knows how to do the basic technique drills they like to run, and because simple shit is stage one in installing any offense/defense, no matter how complex.

Witness Todd Orlando's actually really good Year One track record - he comes it, teaches DL/LBs how to blitz with the aggression he demands, lets his secondary coaches just coach that year, and only installs the insane delayed shit that involves everybody year two when he thinks everyone can do it (SPOILER: No one ever can do it, his delayed blitzes are madness, the safeties are all hurt because he didn't teach them how to tackle beyond "idk kill that dude shoulder-first", and if he's botched the CB coach hire, the CBs are all fucked up)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Walte464 said:

Obviously Stillwater and State Fair are obvious jackass, not everyone knows what red stick is, pull the stick outta your ass.

Are you sure you don’t want to try and cram the word  Obviously into your sentence one more time? 

I don’t think anyone here is going to take for granted what is Obvious to you, slappy. But trying to call out other people because you don’t understand what they are saying, can’t figure it out based on context clues, and are too lazy to google is rarely a winning strategy in life. But you do you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Agua Quieta, La Feria Estatal, and Red Stick is the preferred nomenclature.

Also, really curious to see how home field advantage goes if there aren’t fans

Too bad we don't have Godzillatron anymore to scare the shit out of the visitors.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

"How the hell do guys with non-simplified schemes keep getting hired?"

It's too difficult to explain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Guess this means that we won't see him at DE this fall in spot duty?  

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Think that author needs to understand weight lifting regimens a little better, because I’m pretty sure homebody didn’t improve his max from 225...

8 minutes ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Not sure if serious?

Yes. I don’t think his max in HS was 225 lbs. 

“His maximum bench press of 225 pounds has improved since football season. He mentioned doing 40 repetitions on the bench press with 225 to 265 pounds.”

Max is common nomenclature for 1 REP Max (1RM), at least in my gym and 15 years of lifting experience.  Author should have found another way to write that sentence. The following sentence offers some clarity, but even then they’re discussing upping his set weight more than talking about his “max.” I had to double take reading that first sentence. 

Then again I’m not looking to get into a pissing match over lifting with someone who’s handled themselves after Scott Steiner. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. I don’t think his max in HS was 225 lbs. 

“His maximum bench press of 225 pounds has improved since football season. He mentioned doing 40 repetitions on the bench press with 225 to 265 pounds.”

Max is common nomenclature for 1 REP Max (1RM), at least in my gym and 15 years of lifting experience.  Author should have found another way to write that sentence. The following sentence offers some clarity, but even then they’re discussing upping his set weight more than talking about his “max.” I had to double take reading that first sentence. 

Wow he went from 225 as his max to now doing 40 reps of 225? I feel like my max has continued to fall since I graduated high school in 98 :( 

43 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Lol. They're saying he can do 40 reps of 265 lbs? 

Only one player at the combine this year managed > 40 reps at 225 lbs

sounds like it was 40 reps split up into however many sets increasing from 225 to 265. Not bad for his age. I imagine those numbers will go up considerably within a few years.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Guess this means that we won't see him at DE this fall in spot duty?  

It's not quite like Sweat going from 249 to 299 though, Collins was 284 in high school and has an incredible frame, I'd bet that 16 pounds is imperceptible. I think we we will see him at DE and sliding inside on passing downs. He's the absolute prototype of the flex DL player that is built to defend spread offenses. 

• Like 1