Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

IT

2020 QUARTERBACK ON UT’S RADAR

With PNG's Roschon Johnson already in the fold for 2019, Texas is taking its sweet time in identifying their QB targets for the Class of 2020.

Tomball’s 6-foot-4 gunslinger Hunter Dunn attended UT's spring practice on Saturday morning. It wasn’t his first trip to Austin. He was joined by Houston North Forest WR Demond Demas, who's a Top 5 player in-state for 2020.

“It was awesome,” Dunn said. “I think the whole facilities (locker room, weight room, players lounge) were super nice and top notch. It was really good getting to talk with coach Beck and watch some film with him.”

His post-scrimmage thoughts were honest, and even better, sees himself fitting into Herman's Power Spread.

“I thought (UT's offense) did pretty good with all the crazy defenses they were running," Dunn said. "(Texas) runs an offense similar to what I run so I liked it a lot."

He’s been busy this offseason. Even though he's yet to net an offer, the phone calls and mail pour in daily.

“I already went up to Georgia and Iowa State, and I'm going to Arkansas on Tuesday.” Joining those programs are Texas A&M, TCU, and Houston. His stock will only grow. Take a peek at his sophomore highlights.

IT on Zach Evans

ZACHARY EVANS

Evans rumors are popping up all over after his recent visit to OU. Lost in the shuffle is he visited Oklahoma State too, and he liked that visit just as much as the one to the Sooners. At OU he liked that the players showed him a lot of love. At Oklahoma State, he loved the environment and coaches.

This one won't get truly interesting for quite some time and it may go down to the wire. For a 2020 player that's a long time. With all the attention he'll get I'd bet he shuts it down sooner, but still not any time in the coming months.

Texas is in great early shape as is Georgia. They're the early co-leaders.

He'll visit Texas for the spring game (if not sooner). Two schools he'd like to visit he hasn't made it to yet are Michigan and Oregon.

From TFB:

– Spoke with top 2020 running back, Zachary Evans (Houston, TX). Evans is just coming off of his first unofficial visit to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State.

I spoke with him about those visits and where things stand with Texas. Evans says the OU trip went a long way in helping him bond with the OU staff. However, about Texas he said, “With Texas, I’ve never bonded with coaches like I did at Texas”.

Evans also grew up a Texas fan.

In the course of the conversation he noted that he plans to take a return visit to Texas this upcoming weekend.

– (Super K)

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Kenean-Caldwell-46051167

I should add that he visited aggy yesterday.

We should have all of our recruits come in the day after they visit The Station. The comparison of everything that's not directly football-related has got to be heavily in our favor. Hopefully, we'll have the edge when it comes to football, as well.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:13 PM, Bruh Man said:

Dude is overrated imo.  J Gray 2.0.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:18 PM, Biscuits And Groovy said:

J Gray was a beast before his injury. If he never got that injury he could be an NFL starter right now. It just robbed him of all his burst and top end speed. Sad.

J Gray was a freakin beast. Nobody comes back from Achilles injuries though especially two.  Still remember seeing his commit video thinking we got a winner.  Thickest thighs seen on a high school kid.

We haven’t had great luck with RBs that were extremely prolific in high school for multiple years.  Perhaps too much wear and tear when body is still maturing to stay healthy in college.

Gray had some of the worst RB instincts I've ever seen in a player who got so many carries.  He self tackled multiple times a game.  He was woefully overrated.  Great kid... but his athleticism was oversold.  He was an above average athlete with good, not great, speed and quickness before his injury.  After the injury, he should have been a situational player. 

Edited by RabidM
  • Like 1

Gray had some of the worst RB instincts I've ever seen in a player who got so many carries.  He self tackled multiple times a game.  He was woefully overrated.  Great kid... but his athleticism was oversold.  He was an above average athlete with good, not great, speed and quickness before his injury.  After the injury, he should have been a situational player. 

Lulz no Trent Richardson takes the cake.
  • Like 1

On this other site I used to frequent, shaggytexas, they assured me that kyle porter owned this crown
  • Haha 1

On 4/8/2018 at 12:43 AM, RabidM said:

Agreed. I think there's a ton of revisionist history with Gray. Even before the injury, he couldn't break tackles for shit. He had good speed and could get whatever was blocked but he wasn't a guy that really made people miss. At least Malcolm Brown would get 2-3 yards in a cloud of dust. 

IT

ZACHARY EVANS

The nation's top running back in the 2020 class hails from North Shore, a school that has been very kind to Texas through the years.

He's 5-foot-11, 207 pounds and stylistically reminds of Adrian Peterson. Just being a stylistic comp of Peterson means you're an elite talent.

Evans made his way to Austin yet again two weekends ago.

On his most recent visit to Texas:
"I feel like it was better than any other visit because we actually sat there and did film this time. We did straight film. I mean I already knew about the school but the way he broke it down to me how I'd be a valuable asset in his offense I mean, it was amazing."

His thoughts on the UT offense:
"I feel like the offense is going to be very explosive this year. I feel like since they had the #3 recruiting class, I mean, they should be better on defense. They should win a lot of games this year."

Thoughts on UT depth chart:
"I've looked at it, but I mean, at my position in my class they haven't really offered that many backs besides Jase McClellan from Aledo, But, other than that, no."

Spring game attendance?
"For the 21st? I'll be there."

On Stan Drayton:
"I feel like he's a very valuable coach. The way he breaks down film is like no other. It's very understandable coming from him. I feel like as I keep going up there we bond closer and closer every time."

Other schools standing out:
"A&M is high up there. Really, I feel like all my schools are starting to come out now. As I move up the charts I feel like they're starting to come more to me."

What he wants to see from the spring game:
"I want to see how explosive the running backs are. I want to see how good they can overcome adversity. I want to see a whole explosion of the whole offense."

Some fans may want to see that too.

2020 visitors
Zach Evans
, GP North Shore (RB): The state's top prospect for 2020 has been to Austin four times this year. This bodes well for the Longhorns.

Khalan Griffin, John Tyler (QB): JT's newest signal-caller stays in touch with coach Beck and coach Warehime, and is looking forward to returning to the 40 Acres after his Junior Day trip.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is a very fluid list. New names could pop up daily and we'll update you when more guys are confirmed. Last weekend was A&M's and OU's time to shine. Batter up, Texas.

DARIUS SNOW

When it comes to 2020, Hugh Downs isn't the only priority. Joining studs Evans and Demond Demas, Snow is dangerously close to that must-get category. The Lewisville Hebron prospect is very fond of the Longhorns. At 6-foot-0, 220, most have Snow pegged at LB, for numerous reasons - family genes, growth curve, ability. Just don't tell him that. He wants to play safety and right now, that's where he's at, projections be damned.

After his Under Armour camp, we spoke about the camp life, his growing popularity, and the Horns.

"You get to learn from hall of famers, and great coaches with a lot of experience," said Snow after UA. "I can say I learned a lot today. The competition is good because a lot of these guys I'll see at the next level."

The recruiting process is just beginning for the 4-star and son of former NBA guard, Eric Snow.

"It's fun with everything starting to pickup," Snow said. "I still treat the same as I did before. Just enjoying the process. My parents and my uncle have taught me how to act, how to treat the recruiting process. With interviews, the way you handle yourself, it's all building your brand and reputation."

As for Texas, Snow says they're a school to watch until the end.

"(Texas) will definitely be there until the end (of my recruitment)," said Snow. "It's a phenomenal school and I love everything about it. It can't get any better."

UT and Naivar are doing this kid right. I wouldn't be surprised to see Snow's name pop up on the spring game visitor list this week.