Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Is there data on the timing of a commitment affecting player rankings? Always seems to me like the longer a kid waits to commit, the higher his ranking ends up being.

If a kid like T'Vondre Sweat had flirted with Wiltfong's favourite school a bit more, for example, he might have been graded more accurately as a four-star.

The biggest factor is showing up to camps where 247, Rivals, and ESPN guys are at. I don't believe Sweat went to any. 

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think both Collins and Broughton look like 5* top 30 types; Broughton might actually be a top 10 type, and I could see him ending up being the top prospect in the state. Dorbah looks like a top 100 type. Princely looks like a top 250 type. While Collins should be in the bag, it'll be interesting to see how we do with the other three, which all appear to be winnable recruitments. The top recruiters on staff, including Washington, Herman, and Carrington, should all be included in these recruitments with Giles from the get go. 

The kid from Arizona is interesting, he looks like a Charles O plus starter kit.

I'd take all five, but I'd also try to take close to 25 in the class. 

Broughton is a must get.  Can't lose him to aggy because he's staying in-state close to momma IMO.  

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Broughton is a must get.  Can't lose him to aggy because he's staying in-state close to momma IMO.  

Last kid I remember from Cy Ridge was Kemah Siverand. Was a heavy A&M lean early in his recruitment, we started looking very good for him in May but then he abruptly committed to A&M and shut down his recruitment. (Then he transferred after graduating early).

16 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Last kid I remember from Cy Ridge was Kemah Siverand. Was a heavy A&M lean early in his recruitment, we started looking very good for him in May but then he abruptly committed to A&M and shut down his recruitment. (Then he transferred after graduating early).

he left aggy an unhappy camper: https://www.cowboysrideforfree.com/2018/8/4/17651296/q-a-grad-transfer-kemah-siverand-talks-choosing-osu-kyle-field-and-jim-knowles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I think both Collins and Broughton look like 5* top 30 types; Broughton might actually be a top 10 type, and I could see him ending up being the top prospect in the state. Dorbah looks like a top 100 type. Princely looks like a top 250 type. While Collins should be in the bag, it'll be interesting to see how we do with the other three, which all appear to be winnable recruitments. The top recruiters on staff, including Washington, Herman, and Carrington, should all be included in these recruitments with Giles from the get go. 

The kid from Arizona is interesting, he looks like a Charles O plus starter kit.

I'd take all five, but I'd also try to take close to 25 in the class. 

I agree about the best recruiters helping on all big DL recruitments going forward, but I don’t think they will on Collins and Umainmelelelelelnmananan.

For reasons beyond just Collins’ mom having played at Texas, and I’m not sure what’s public so far, Texas should absolutely land Collins, and early, and he should be a guy that magnetizes others to the class.

The guy from Manor, well, is from Manor. It will probably be a bumpy recruitment but we should win it. 

Dorbah’s older brother is walking on at OU, which is why some guys are intimating that Dorbah isn’t as pro-Texas as people think. I’m fascinated that a wealthy HP kid would choose to walk-on at OU. 

They think they can win the top 2-3 guys in Arizona. 

Not sure what you or others are seeing or hearing, but the top QB in Texas in the 2020 class is probably the coach’s son at Longview. No way he’ll come to Texas with Card committed so early, but I still think it is imperative for Texas to sign another QB in that class. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Clearly.

I’d like to hear from their vantage point how we went from “leading” to the kid committing to aggy and shutting it down immediately.

A&M had been recruiting him hard for a long time, and he had a great relationship with Terry Price. Some of us assumed we led because he visited like five times in the spring and the mom was pro Texas, but it's obvious that he liked A&M a lot too, and they sealed the deal on the visit. A&M had a lot of strong recruiters. 

22 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not sure what you or others are seeing or hearing, but the top QB in Texas in the 2020 class is probably the coach’s son at Longview. No way he’ll come to Texas with Card committed so early, but I still think it is imperative for Texas to sign another QB in that class. 

His dream school is LSU, but those retards already have two 2020 QBs committed. TCU is on him hard, I haven't heard any recent updates on him, but I think we offer him at some point in the spring, once Rising or Thompson officially transfers. Like you said, already having Card in the class makes our chances dubious.

While we're talking QBs, 2021 is interesting to look forward to. Preston Stone will be a 5* top ten in the nation type of prospect, and looks like a more athletic JT Daniels, while Dematrius Davis looks like a fucking stud, is a great dual threat fit in our offense, and whoever lands him will land his 2020 5* WR cousin, Shadrach Banks. 

E.J. Holland: Texas recruiting notes from Next Level Athlete camp

— Elite 2021 Fort Worth All Saints offensive lineman Tommy Brockermeyer has a ton of family ties to the Texas program and loves what it has to offer. UT should be considered the early frontrunner. The only other school he mentioned was SMU, where his father is on staff. Brockermeyer plans to visit Texas this offseason.

— Offered 2021 target and Aledo wide receiver JoJo Earle loves Texas early on. In fact, we have reason to believe the Longhorns are out in front at this point in the process. The only other school that high on his list is TCU. Earle is already building a strong relationship with the UT staff and plans to visit again very soon.

— Rising 2020 cornerback Jalen Kimber, who holds a Texas offer, is not competing today due to a minor groin injury. UT is an early standout for Kimber along with TCU and Texas A&M. Kimber is building a strong relationship with Jason Washington and hopes to visit in the near.

— Four-star 2020 Lancaster defensive back Lorando Johnson hasn’t been hearing from Texas that much lately but hopes things pick up this spring. Johnson has a top three of Arkansas, Texas A&M and LSU. If Texas jumps in the mix, Johnson said the Longhorns would definitely move into that top group.

— A pair of 2020 wide receivers to keep an eye on are The Colony’s Keith Millerand DeSoto’s Lawrence Arnold. Miller recently backed out of his verbal pledge to Texas Tech and is the type of big receiver Texas likes. Arnold is also a taller wide out with a ton of potential. He is starting to rack up several P5 offers.

— Texas hosted three-star 2020 The Colony athlete Myles Price for a camp last summer. He hasn’t heard a ton from the Texas staff but hopes to talk to the Longhorns soon. Price holds a handful of P5 offers and is worth a look as a slot receiver.

— A pair of 2021 wide outs to know are Dallas Skyline’s Quaydarius Davis and South Grand Prairie’s Deamikkio Nathan. Both holds P5 offers early on and visited Texas during the fall. Two 2021 defensive linemen also on the radar are Denton Ryan’s Ja’tavion Sanders and DeSoto’s Shemar Turner, who visited this fall.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

His dream school is LSU, but those retards already have two 2020 QBs committed. TCU is on him hard, I haven't heard any recent updates on him, but I think we offer him at some point in the spring, once Rising or Thompson officially transfers. Like you said, already having Card in the class makes our chances dubious.

While we're talking QBs, 2021 is interesting to look forward to. Preston Stone will be a 5* top ten in the nation type of prospect, and looks like a more athletic JT Daniels, while Dematrius Davis looks like a fucking stud, is a great dual threat fit in our offense, and whoever lands him will land his 2020 5* WR cousin, Shadrach Banks. 

Isn’t Stone an early Texas lean at this point?

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

I would suspect FSU might get in on the Longview guy here shortly. 

If Texas takes George and Evans, I would assume we’d lead and make a good case for Banks and Davis. Of course, Herman has done some odd shit with QB so far. Taking Card as early as he did and then also taking two QBs in the same class, neither of which are from Texas, the state producing them in droves. So who the fuck knows. 

IT

VERNON BROUGHTON - 2020

While at the Next Level Athlete camp at Barbers Hill High School, I struck up a conversation with a man who knows the football and basketball scene pretty well. Cy Ridge defensive end Vernon Broughton happened to be close by and the gentlemen said, "Vernon, you've been the same height since 8th grade." I've written about Vernon's basketball background previously, but I'll let this man tell it. "He had the look of a big-time basketball prospect. He was tall -- look at his parents -- but his build went from basketball to football. He looks like an enforcer type, but he can handle. All that stuff really helps him in football." 

Some may wonder what the 6-foot-5 Broughton might have been with five more inches in height, but I'm left wondering what will be with a little more experience on the grid-iron. 

People are starting to really catch on to Broughton's upside and his modest ranking (89 on 247 and 92 composite) will surely adjust in the coming months. Kudos to the Texas staff on the early evaluation and offer. They've positioned themselves well in what will be a hotly contested recruitment. Make no mistake, Broughton is a take for anyone.

The recruiting process:
"It's been good overall, having all this exposure with colleges and stuff, so, it's been great; a new experience, though."

Transitioning from basketball prospect to football:
"Basketball has helped me in tremendous ways, like moving and stuff like that. Footwork. I've been playing basketball my whole life."

What he'll be looking for in college:
"Whoever loves me I'm going to love them back. If a school is showing interest in me, I'm going to show it back." 

Relationship with Texas:
"Texas, I like Texas. Me and Coach Giles, we chop it up really like every other day. I talk to Coach Herman every once in a while, he hits me up. We're cool." 

Did you see the game versus Georgia?
"Yeaaaah, that was a big game for them, and I like the defensive line. They were eating. No. 90 is nice."

On what will put one school over the top:
"Really haven't thought about that, right now I'm just taking it slow. I want to get my SAT done and go from there."

My read on this one is UT is in a good spot early. I don't think his mother wants him far from home. TCU may be one to watch here, however, because of his mother's time coaching basketball there. She knew Gary Patterson a bit and was fond of him. The Horned Frogs recently offered. A&M may have an 'in' or two worth watching as well.

JAYLON JONES - 2020 

One of the talent evaluators I watched the camp with said the Cibolo Steele corner struggled in-game when he saw him. I said the thing with Jones is he has the size and explosiveness you can't coach. I told him of the time I saw Texas recruiting analyst Ra'Shaad Samples, then of Dallas Skyline, killing DeSoto in the playoffs. DeSoto replaced the corner covering Samples with UT commit Bryson Echols. Samples was quiet the rest of the night. Echols had a very quiet career at Texas before transferring. The player he replaced, Jalen Mills, was a four-year starter at LSU and a NFL draft pick.

Echols was refined and on the smaller side, the opposite of Mills. Ideally you'd combine the two, but that's where coaching comes in. 

At 6-foot-2 and explosive, Jones is pretty uncommon. He lacks a lot of in-game understanding and technique, but I think a kid who drove from San Antonio to 'might as well be Louisiana' for this camp is going to work to maximize.

Spring plans:
"I just plan on doing my official visits during the spring. And just working out with the team, trying to get right for next season and make a State Championship run."

Where he'll take those official visits:
"Right now I plan on going to Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Purdue, and probably Arkansas. I'm just looking at everything, trying to see if more offers come in or not. But right now that's pretty much the five schools I want to visit."

Decision timeline:
"I plan on making a decision this summer. Senior year I just want to focus on my team and just get right for the season." [sounds like an early summer decision]

Caden Sterns' freshman year:
"Terrific. I knew he was going to go and be a big impact. He surprised a lot of people, people who didn't really know him, but there's a reason why he graduated as the No. 1 safety in the country. He showed everybody who he is. Just being able to work with him and be a teammate was special."

How much contact does he and Sterns have:
"I talk to him often. He keeps it real with me. You know it would be good to play with him again."

What position he sees himself playing in college:
"I want to stay at corner, you know, I feel like being big on the island with bigger receivers nowadays you need taller guys out there. I'd like to stay at corner but if I go somewhere and they need me at safety then I'm just gonna do what I gotta do."

Sugar Bowl:
"It was crazy. Going against a team like Georgia, I went to one of the practices so I saw the way they were working so I knew it was going to be a game, but they did what they had to do and executed like they did in practice. It was good to see."

On A&M:
"I talk to them pretty much every day. The coaching staff, they treat me like family. Same thing with Texas. It's going to be a hard decision to make. Wherever I choose I know I'm going to be taken care of and they're going to treat my family well."

On Florida:
"Same thing with Florida. I've got family there, that's where I'm from. It would just be good to play in front of them again. Florida, they also treat me like family. Coach Warren, and Coach Mullen, and Coach Johnson, they hit me up like every day. It's just good to know that those guys are willing to bring me in and make me a better man and a football player."

DRAKE DABNEY - 2020

I learned of UT's interest in Dabney just last week so it was quite the coincidence when I went up to ask him his name simply based on his height and frame. Among an athletic group of kids he caught my eye early on. I'll give him 6-foot-5, and 230.

In many cycles, tight end is a position you have to scour the state pretty hard for. There just isn't the year-in, year-out depth of other positions. Because of that, whenever somebody like Dabney emerges, everyone is going to show interest. 

Currently Dabney holds offers from Boston College, Louisville, Memphis, Purdue, and Toledo but he'll become much more popular this spring.

Visited for the USC game:
"It was great. I loved the facilities, everything, the atmosphere was amazing."

Schools he's hearing from at this early point:
"TCU, I just talked to them recently. Rice. Texas Tech. Vanderbilt."

Rice and Vandy, grades must be good. What do you want to study:
"Yes sir. Not sure yet, I'm interested in sports medicine, though."

Schools he wants to hear from that he hasn't yet:
"Stanford is probably one of my top schools."

Dabney is an in-line tight end, more so than the flex basketball type. He is fluid as a receiver, though.

PRINCELY

He was ready to get back on campus. Living down the road helps. 

“It’s going good so far,” 2020 Manor DL Princely Umanmielen said. “Working hard, looking forward to next season already. I believe I’m going up to Oklahoma in February.”

Umanmielen really enjoyed his trip to Texas this weekend. He also enjoyed the basketball game from the Drum and bonding with players and coaches. 

“It was really fun,” said Umanmielen. “I had a good time building a relationship with coach Herman.” 

Texas continues to check every box for the 2020 Manor defensive end. 

THIS WEEK

Duncanville’s Chris Thompson tells me he’s probably headed to Austin this weekend. “For the fifth time, maybe more,” said the five-star DB. 

The top rated safety from 2020 (247) is very familiar with the 40 Acres. He was also taken aback by the physicality of Horns in their 28-21 Sugar Bowl win over Georgia. 

“I was surprised by the Texas win, “ said Thompson. “All the talk about 'SEC is the best conference' got exposed.”

These are facts. Thompson’s teammate and fellow UT target, Ja’Quinden Jackson, isn’t likely riding with him this weekend but he’ll be back soon as well. 

“We’re really close and might play together in college,” said Thompson of Jackson. 

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A&M may have an 'in' or two worth watching as well.

Hmmm any idea what this means in regards to Broughton?  Perroni recently said he doesn't think Broughton has aggy near the top right now.

I don't know this detail, but I'm guessing him being in Cypress means he has a coach, teacher, or family member or two who are aggies

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't know this detail, but I'm guessing him being in Cypress means he has a coach, teacher, or family member or two who are aggies

Likely, he seems to be the best prospect of the bunch. We need to start winning these types of recruitments.

I know we are in a good spot with Umanmielen, but he likes OU a lot as well.  He still has the OU offer as his pinned tweet and he's visited them several times and said he will again next month.  Him and Alec Bryant are buddies and usually visit them together.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I know we are in a good spot with Umanmielen, but he likes OU a lot as well.  He still has the OU offer as his pinned tweet and he's visited them several times and said he will again next month.  Him and Alec Bryant are buddies usually visit them together.

He's going to their junior day at the end of this month.

58 minutes ago, Fud said:

As probably one of the younger posters on this board I want to really drive home just how inundated secondary education has become with aggies I never had single UT grad as a teacher and only one as a counselor, but easily over half of my teachers and coaches where ags. 

9 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

As probably one of the younger posters on this board I want to really drive home just how inundated secondary education has become with aggies I never had single UT grad as a teacher and only one as a counselor, but easily over half of my teachers and coaches where ags. 

Diploma mills create candidates for precisely that kind of work. Frankly, that's really their purpose, although no doubt the aggies have no real understanding that this is the case.

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Diploma mills create candidates for precisely that kind of work. Frankly, that's really their purpose, although no doubt the aggies have no real understanding that this is the case.

You're talking about Rick Perry's plan in action, sir. Fill the state and the legislature with good ole' aggy graduates to run this state and influence future generations of students. 

Spoiler

—Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston is a guy to keep an eye on. He’s very long and explosive, and that showed during his junior season. Johnston was strong in the drill portion of today’s camp, but he did have some difficulties in one-on-ones. Johnston is very raw on the route-running side, and defensive backs were able to use that against him. Still, those skills are teachable, and Johnston should be able to develop into a plus receiver with some work.

—The Colony’s Keith Miller recently decommitted from Texas Tech, and he’s starting to see more attention. Miller had some contact with Texas during the evaluation period, and he fits what they look for as a big receiver. Miller’s speed doesn’t stand out as elite, but his basketball ability translates to the gridiron with his body control, vertical ability, and physical nature.

From EJ