Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8.5" could be a bigger issue for the NFL ball. In college I believe the ball is narrower the closer it gets to the nose, and there are actually two different balls with the size varying down toward the nose. I guess that could make it easier for a smaller handed kid to hold. Dunno, but there's that. 

Edited by UncleBuck

16 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

8.5" could be a bigger issue for the NFL ball. In college I believe the ball is narrower the closer it gets to the nose, and there are actually two different balls with the size varying down toward the nose. I guess that could make it easier for a smaller handed kid to hold. Dunno, but there's that. 

I’m pretty sure every football gets “narrower” the closer it gets to the nose. 

So there’s a kid from Iowa that’s gking to the elite 11 finals whose only reported offer is central Michigan?

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’m pretty sure every football gets “narrower” the closer it gets to the nose. 

So there’s a kid from Iowa that’s gking to the elite 11 finals whose only reported offer is central Michigan?

Is more narrow closer to the nose than an NFL ball. There you go, smartass. 

(OR DID I SAY IT WRONG AGAIN)

Edited by UncleBuck

11 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Is more narrow closer to the nose than an NFL ball. There you go, smartass. 

You're looking for "more narrower". Irregardlessly, if your hand is smaller than your face, then you won't get cancer, so that's something we have going for us.

• Haha 1

https://howtheyplay.com/team-sports/Quarterbacks-With-the-Most-Impressive-Hand-Sizes-in-NFL-History 

According to this article, Mike Vick has 8.5” hands, so no worries guys, Hudson will be a star . . . as long as he doesn’t get involved in any unscrupulous activities.

but wait, according to this article, Kliff Kingsbury had 8.5” hands and those would tie for the smallest hands of an NFL QB ever, so we’re DOOMED. Also, the average hand size for a 6’3 is 9.25, so Hudson’s got some tiny fingies.

PossibleFarflungAmazondolphin-small.gif

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Are you trying to say that the circumference is smaller at the same distance from either point, relative to an nfl ball?

Yah. If the ball is 11" long, at 2" and at 9", in those areas the circumference would be smaller on an NCAA ball than the NFL ball. "Narrow" is probably not the correct word, I was just speaking in layman's terms. I think you got it. 

Jeff Howe: How Texas has benefitted from transition recruiting classes

When we started our look at what Texas has gotten out of recruiting classes since the start Mack Brown’s tenure leading up to the roster still being built by Tom Herman, things kicked off with the 1998 class. A transition class built in part by John Mackovic’s through 1997 and finished off by Brown and Co. when he was hired from North Carolina following Mackovic’s swansong that ended a five-year run. Overall, the class was successful. While it only produced one NFL draft pick (offensive lineman Mike Williams was the fourth overall pick in 2002), the lone draftee wasn’t the only success story of the class.

Marcus Wilkins carved out a long career for himself in the NFL after being a special teams demon for the Longhorns. Ahmad Brooks was a team captain who lost his starting spot, earned it back and became an active-roster NFL player as an undrafted free agent. One-third of the class became eventual starters during their time on the Forty Acres. The 1998 class was a good transition class because it helped Brown stabilize the roster while he stocked the pantry with talent in the classes that followed.

Every coach has a transition class and the lessons learned from 1998 are worth filing away when looking at how the 2014 and 2017 classes are going to go down in history. The former was comprised of some of Brown’s final verbal commitments and was finished off in a matter of weeks by Charlie Strong. Strong put the wheels in motion, but Herman had to carry it across the finish line following the Thanksgiving weekend coaching transition less than 24 hours after the 2016 season ended.

So, what makes a good transition class?

Following the formula based off of studying the 1998 class, there are three distinct areas where a transition class can help the program rather than be a burden. While the the 2014 and 2017 hauls might be most remembered for who the Longhorns missed due to things falling apart for the previous coach (future first-round picks Jamal Adams and Solomon Thomas were among the 2014 prospects Texas pursued vigorously, as were the likes of J.K. Dobbins, Walker Little in 2017), Strong and Herman both did enough things right that both classes are on track to go down as better than what otherwise might’ve been expected.

MINIMIZE THE BUST RATE

Even though Texas had a running back bust in the 2014 class, Foreman emerged as one of the best in school history from the same haul. (Photo: Justin K. Aller, Getty)
That’s easier said than done since, historically speaking, transition classes have a high bust rate. When tracking the historical data of the Texas classes in question, Horns247 has decided to define a bust as a prospect who transferred out of the program in two years or less, failed to letter and — for all intents and purposes — took up a scholarship that would’ve been better used elsewhere.

Out of the 18 members of the 1998 class who went toward the study, only two were considered busts and one of those (running back Chris Robertson) had a 10-touchdown season in 1999. The 2014 class will go down with a bust rate of around 23 percent, which is above the ideal mark of a 20 percent or lower rate, but falls below the 30-percent or higher range (which is when a class teeters on being a failure unless the top of the class is extremely talented). Derrick Roberson, Duke Catalon, Jermaine Roberts and Cameron Hampton contributed to the transfer attrition within Strong’s first two years on the job while a series of injuries kept Blake Whiteley from seeing the field.

Of the 17 signees Herman got to campus in the 2017 class (four-star Tyler John Tyler wide receiver Damion Miller failed to qualify), only one player is contributing to the bust rate (running back Toneil Carter, who transferred to Sam Houston State). Along with developing a franchise quarterback in Sam Ehlinger, Herman has seen 11 of the 17 qualifying signees earn some level of starting experience through two years (including Carter and Ehlinger).

Guys like Poona Ford, Andrew Beck, Chris Nelson and Elijah Rodriguez became key players for Herman out of the 2014 class while Ehlinger, Ta'Quon Graham, Gary Johnson, Derek Kerstetter, Cade Brewer and Samuel Cosmi are among 2017’s front-line players.

LEAN ON THE RELATIONSHIPS FROM YOUR PREVIOUS JOB

Cosmi committed to Houston under Herman and eventually followed the staff to Texas. (Photo: Jeff Howe, 247Sports)
Not everyone can do what Brown did, which was come into the state and pull a talented foursome out of Texas City (Jermaine Anderson, Ervis Hill, Tyrone Jones and Everick Rawls), fend off the likes of Miami for Lee Jackson and plant the flag with little regard for the competition. In that regard, the recruiting landscape within the state was vastly different for Strong and had changed even more by the time Herman got the job.

Nevertheless, both staffs were able to lean on their relationships they built with prospects at Louisville and Houston, respectively, to bring quality players to Texas.

Strong inherited Beck, Jason Hall, John Bonney, Jake McMillon, Armanti Foreman and D'Onta Foreman, played who helped both his staff and Herman fill out the depth chart. What helped save the class was Vance Bedford and Chris Rumph teaming up to snag Ford and Nelson right before National Signing Day and Joe Wickline identifying Elijah Rodriguez as a player with some upside to him (Texas flipped Rodriguez from Colorado late in the cycle).

Herman did the same with Cosmi, Marquez Bimage and Daniel Young all being committed to Houston when the head coach made his way to Austin. Derek Warehime’s Oklahoma connections led the Longhorns to Reese Leitao and both Brewer and Kerstetter turned out to be good evaluations by the staff.

DON’T BE IN A HURRY TO RECRUIT OVER THE PREVIOUS STAFF’S TAKES

Beck was a Brown recruit who became a starter under Strong and developed into a two-year captain with an NFL future under Herman. (Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)
Where some coaches get themselves in trouble in a transition is when they feel the need to discard the previous staff’s recruits like expired food. For Texas, Strong’s roster purge before the 2014 season forced him to use whatever pieces he had available and Herman needed most of the class to play early due to the attrition rate in his first spring and summer with several key members of the 2016 signing class departing the program.

Strong was able to retain the Foreman twins, which led to him being able to boast a consensus All-American running back who gained 2,000 yards in a season and won the Doak Walker Award during his tenure. He also got plenty of snaps out of Bonney, Hall, Beck, McMillon, Jerrod Heard, Lorenzo Joe and Dorian Leonard, all prospects recruited by Brown’s staff.

In addition to Ehlinger and Graham, Herman has seen Strong holdovers Josh Thompson and Kobe Boyce start games in their respective careers already. Herman’s situation was different from Strong’s because the recruiting philosophy of the previous regime left Herman with a lot of spots to fill, but Montrell Estell is the only one of the holdovers from the recruits who committed to Strong who has yet to really break through (due to injuries and a deep safety group on campus).

Transition classes don’t have to be throwaway hauls and for the Longhorns, none over the last three coaching changes have been forgettable. Both of Herman’s teams have benefitted from guys who were originally recruited by Brown or were brought into the fold early in Strong’s tenure (of the 22 qualifying signees in the 2014 class, 15 helped the Longhorns end a run of three losing seasons in a row in 2017 and four were members of the squad that won the Sugar Bowl in 2018).

One of the pieces Herman inherited from Strong’s final cycle on the job (Ehlinger) might be the most important one when it comes to Texas winning a championship. Rather than being a burden on the program, the last two transition classes for the Longhorns have played a big role in getting things headed in the right direction.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hahahahahaha ha. The fucking hand measurement issue is now official. Fuck all the haters that said that was made up or that scouts and folks of that ilk wouldn’t care. 

We need to sign Jackson as a hand hedge. Shit. 

Hand of the King, if you will. 

I’ll see myself out.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

DAMIEON GEORGE

The 2020 offensive lineman from North Shore is looking take recruiting a bit more serious over the next couple months and may even make a decision. He may also elect to take his time.

Decision timeline?
"I'm thinking about making a decision in the summer, but nothing major. It's 50/50."

Any official visit plans?
"I'm going to take my officials this summer. I plan on taking Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas."

What schools do you talk to the most or have the strongest relationship with?
"Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, .....and Georgia." [He threw in Georgia as I was asking the next question]

How much do you look at scheme or what the offense runs?
"I pay attention to how much they run the ball and how much they throw the ball. I want to be on a team that runs the ball most of the time."

Big OL always want to run the ball, but you're looking good, did you lean up a bit? How much are you weighing?
"Yeah I have. I'm 336."

I've always compared you to Javonne Shepherd: really big, pretty athletic, still some work left to do technique-wise. What are you going to work on this summer?
"My hands and my feet."

While Shepherd says he wants to take all of his officials this summer he may not make a decision until after the season. This would benefit Texas as it's an easy drive to Austin if there's time during the season. 

With North Shore expected to play well into December it would make sense that Shepherd would want to take visits outside of the schedule. It's really tough to play into Friday night then catch a flight across the country and then take everything in. This way he has more time to take everything in and get his questions answered.

Finally, with George being only 16 years old and developing positively physically, he's a player that if Texas lands fans should be excited about independent of Zach Evans. He's not a dancing bear OT, but he is a wall and shield sort that's hard to get around. With better technique he'll also be a bull in the run game who has guard versatility.

PHILIP BLIDI

Portales, New Mexico, defensive end Philip Blidi's biggest current offer is from Tulsa but that will assuredly change as he makes the rounds this summer. 

What's going on Philip, nice film, have you been hearing much from UT? Who else?
"Thank you! Yes sir, I have been in contact with UT for a while now. I've also been in contact with Texas A&m, Texas State, SMU, OSU, Baylor, Texas Tech , UIW and SFA."

Are you taking any visits this summer?
"I've also been in contact with KU. I have plans to visit UT, Texas A&m and OSU this summer!" [he's still getting the UT visit set up, most likely early June]

What's your current height/weight? You're not carrying much bad weight.
"I'm between 6" 3 to 6" 4 and weigh 246. I really watch what I put into my body."

Are you from New Mexico originally? Not too many players out that way.
"I am originally from Trenton, New Jersey. I've been living in New Mexico for 3 to 4 years now."

That makes more sense. 

Blidi has good size and initial quickness and looks to be a good 4i candidate. Level of competition is poor but if you isolate your focus to how he moves it's not hard envisioning him as a player if he was in 6A Texas ball. 

Blidi has a very interesting back story that you can glean from this

JA’QUINDEN JACKSON & CHRIS THOMPSON 

The 2020 duo from Duncanville have long been on the Texas radar, not to mention most schools in the country.

They’re both four-stars. They both lead on their side of the field - quarterback and safety. Most importantly, both really like the University of Texas. You could say the feeling is mutual after the Horns sent Tim Beck and Craig Naivar to Duncanville’s spring game last week. I got a chance to catch up with both prospects after the scrimmage.

“We’ve been working hard this spring,” said Thompson, the elite safety who visited Georgia this weekend. “We’re on a mission to finish what we started.”

That mission is winning a state championship. After last year’s last second loss to North Shore, it’s not difficult to find motivation.

It’s also not hard to see the immense talent on the field.

“We’ve got some great players,” said Jackson. “We know we can make it back.”

Both have their sights on finishing their senior seasons with hardware and rings. Both also have visions of playing at the next level. However, the timelines may be different.

“I’m still enjoying my recruitment,” Jackson said. “I’m getting ready to schedule some visits this summer. Just been focused on spring ball.”

Thompson is already there.

“After Georgia this weekend, I’m set to take an official to Notre Dame on June 21st,” said Thompson. “I’ve been talking to the defensive coordinator, who says coach (Brian) Kelly really likes me and how I fit in the system. (ND) has been showing a lot of love.”

For Thompson, it’s clear what he’s looking for.

“Texas is still my leader, no question,” said Thompson. “It’s almost like I’m just seeing what the other schools have to offer because I know what I get with UT. Love coach Naivar and Austin.”

A commitment before he plays a senior snap is what I’m hearing for Thompson’s timeline. It’s not set in stone, but it’s the most consistent tidbit I hear from people close to the Duncanville crew.

As for Jackson, I believe this pursuit will go the distance, or at least NSD1. His scrimmage performance was up-and-down, and he wasn’t in any mood to smile. Until I mentioned Texas sent two coaches to see him.

Texas, OU, and LSU reach out to Jackson the most. The Horns and Sooners have assured him he’s going to get an honest shot at quarterback. Any school that doesn’t won’t be considered.

Jackson is one of the most determined players Duncanville HC Reginald Samples has ever coached. At 6-foot-3, 220 pounds, JQJ has the physical tools to play the position, just needs work and reps. Texas looks great here because coach Beck is willing to give Jackson a chance at signal-caller in Austin. That might be the single most important data point in this recruitment.

At the end of the day, the best thing for Texas is that Jackson and Thompson have found commonality in the process. Both see what Tom Herman is building in Austin. Both see a demand for their talents at the next level, and both want the same thing; a state championship ring and Division I scholarship to a premiere program.

UT has made the Duncanville duo a priority for well over a year now. With over 15 schools in attendance for the spring scrimmage, one in particular was the last to leave on Thursday night; the guys in burnt orange.

“Coach Herman and his staff have done a tremendous job recruiting our players,” said Samples. “They do things the right way in Austin. Ja’Quinden and Chris really can’t go wrong.”

I can see both visiting Austin this summer. I can also see both playing in Austin in 2020, it’s just one may decide sooner than the other. Either way, the Horns have put themselves in the driver’s seat.

RANDOMNESS

- HELP WANTED: Linebacker. Athens (GA) senior RB/LB Len’Neth Whitehead received a Texas offer last week. The 6-foot-1, 230-pound four-star has gone slightly under the radar, despite an offer from in-state power Georgia (not sure the Bulldogs would take him right now).

The hard-hitting athlete from Athens Academy popped on the UT staff’s prospect list recently, which was a joy to the family. Texas has done well in Whitehead’s home state since Herman took over. Coach Washington and coach Drayton are very familiar with the region, after grabbing Kenyatta Watson II and Derrian Brown in 2019’s class.

With offers from Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Wisconsin, and South Carolina, Whitehead has some strong suitors. But Texas could move the needle.

I’m hearing Whitehead is setting up an unofficial visit to Austin this summer, possibly June. This recruitment is in its infancy stage, but if/when Whitehead sees UT, this thing might take off. The family doesn’t want a long and drawn out recruitment. And with the Texas staff scouring the country for linebackers, they may have just found one. I believe coach Warehime will see him very soon.

- Here comes Johnny. After months of saying he’ll see Austin this summer, Calabasas (CA) five-star WR Johnny Wilson will take an unofficial visit to UT on June 1st. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound catching machine has every school in the country’s attention.

Oregon and Washington look to be the early leaders here, but Wilson maintains Texas is the school he wants to see up close and personal. With help from De’Gabriel Floyd and Bru McCoy, they’ve painted a burnt orange canvas of what the Longhorns offer to Wilson and he’s buying.

Coach Mehringer and coach Beck are laying the foundation for Wilson, but it’s former Valley Christian (San Jose, CA), now current Texas wide receiver, Collin Johnson, where Wilson sees himself. Johnson’s final season might be the best recruiting UT does with Wilson. Just watch No. 9, and envision yourself.

If all goes well, there’s talk Wilson may return to Austin later this summer. With DGF, Bru, and Collin in his ear, Texas has a shot here.

Getting that LB from Georgia would be huge, but we'd be sweating it until NSD to see if Georgia all of the sudden decided to take him.

Mike at Night: Odds and ends in the last week of spring ball

— It was reported that five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo (Scottsdale, Ariz./Saguaro) would be making a summer visit to Austin. I reported last week that dates were being worked out, but nothing was set in stone yet. I talked to Ringo over the weekend and he said that he wasn’t for sure yet if the unofficial in the summer would happen. He did say that Texas would for sure get an official visit. Georgia has been surging in this recruitment and I’m told that Oregon is a threat as well.

— I had the opportunity to see Texas commit Jaden Hullaby in action last week. Hullaby plays running back at Bishop Dunne, but Texas envisions him as a versatile weapon in the backfield. Hullaby will be asked to play an H-back role and line up in different parts of the formation. He’s about 6-foot-2, 210 pounds right now, but I could see him growing to around 230 by the time he fills out. The most important quality I saw in Hullaby was buy-in. We talk about buy-in a lot as a cheap buzzword, but Hullaby is a high school running back willing to buy into the idea of playing this new role. He holds running back offers from several Power Five schools and he certainly has other options. The important thing is that Hullaby sees the vision for how he can best be utilized.

— 247Sports National Recruiting Analyst Greg Biggins reported over the weekend that five-star Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson is setting up an unofficial and official visit to Austin. I’ve been hinting at this for a few weeks, but Biggins’ report is huge for Texas. I was originally told that he would likely only be in for an official visit so Texas will have two opportunities to make a big impression on him. Oregon seems to be the current leader, but Texas isn’t far behind. They can certainly make up the difference during their visits.

— Texas extended an offer to 2022 Denison running back Jadarian Price last week. I had the opportunity to see Price over the weekend and talk with some coaches about him. Price is one of the best young men I’ve met. He’s almost embarrassed by the recruiting attention at this point, and he’s more focused on being a good teammate than worrying about recruiting. The coaches at Denison raved about his work ethic and maturity. Price told me that Tom Herman personally made the offer, so that gives you an idea about how serious they are about Price.

• Like 1

Roach- "I talked to Ringo over the weekend and he said that he wasn’t for sure yet if the unofficial in the summer would happen."

Suchomel- ""I checked in with the mother of five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo last night and she tells me they've talked to the Texas staff about visiting the weekend of June 21. Ringo's mother told me she hopes to make it but "Kelee definitely will."

Fud-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 5

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/05/open-post-tuesday-may-21st/

Bijan Robinson | Return Visit
– Super K

Some good news on the running back front.

I checked in with the mother of 2020 RB, Bijan Robinson (Salpointe Catholic) and she tells me that Bijan will indeed return to Texas.

The visit is schedule for the big June 22nd recruiting weekend and will be an official visit.

While Robinson’s coaches accompanied him on his last trip, his mother will accompany him on this trip.

This is pretty significant news for a few reasons. One reason is official visits for the summer will end the very next week and Robinson plans on making a summer decision. So, Texas will end up being one of his final visits before his announcement.

I can tell you that USC was Robinson’s childhood favorite but the instability there may be too much for the Trojan’s to overcome. Also, his father and grandfather both played at Arizona. That may be a school to watch.

The other thing to note is whether Robinson will want to play with some of the caliber of a Zach Evans, should Texas land Evans. I think in this day in age with the number of offensive snaps, it’s easy to make the case that a good partner back is actually better for your career.

Either way, the important thing right now is that Texas seems to be in the thick of it with another truly elite running back.

Sourced Update | Jahari Rogers & Vernon Broughton
– Super K

Let’s continue our focus on these two prospects for a bit longer.

***As I mentioned in my previous post, Jahari Rogers is coming off his Florida visit. Going into that visit, the Gators were the team I felt posed the biggest threat to Texas.

I spoke with a source following the visit and I can tell you that I do believe this one continues to trend in the direction towards the Horns.

Again, Rogers told me he will take his OV to Texas in June and I wouldn’t be surprised to see a decision sometime before or shortly after that.

Staying cautiously optimistic here.

***On the Vernon Broughton front, my read, as you all know, is that the team posing the biggest threat to Texas is LSU. I also believe Alabama could cause some problems. Vernon spoke highly of Ohio State when I met with him but I just have a hard time seeing him go that far away. Also, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that four of his top six schools are in the SEC.

If anyone is going to beat out an SEC team, I believe it will be Texas due, in part, to proximity.

Now, I heard from a source close to Cy Ridge program and also got word on how folks around Texas currently feel, and it seems the general feelings are also that right now Texas and LSU are the two teams to beat.

But, as we’ve noted, Vernon still has plenty of visits to take.[/spoiler]

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is attempting the moon shot in getting both Robinson and Evans. They tried it last year as well, and, yeah. 

Yah, it bombed last year, but it feels a bit more possible this cycle. I never had a good feeling about the top dogs last cycle reading you guys. This actually feels a lot more doable. But.....  AM I READING WRONG?

Edited by UncleBuck

Roach- "I talked to Ringo over the weekend and he said that he wasn’t for sure yet if the unofficial in the summer would happen."

Suchomel- ""I checked in with the mother of five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo last night and she tells me they've talked to the Texas staff about visiting the weekend of June 21. Ringo's mother told me she hopes to make it but "Kelee definitely will."

Fud-

Spoiler

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Burt Macklin: 

Spoiler

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, it bombed last year, but it feels a bit more possible this cycle. I never had a good feeling about the top dogs last cycle reading you guys. This actually feels a lot more doable. But.....  AM I READING WRONG?

The pitch of keeping guys fresh for the NFL is becoming a more welcomed concept for recruits, and multiple schools are starting to make it. Bama has done it for a while and can point to success in action with it. Georgia is the same. LSU can claim it to some degree. Texas can dovetail their pitch to catch the same wind as those places, but they don't have the same evidence to point to, yet. I think if they land Robinson, he's a take independent of any other circumstances. He'll commit because he wants to be here and he has family in his ear that wants him to stay healthy for the NFL. 

The Evans recruitment has always been known to be a thing that will involve twists and turns until the end. People will focus on the George component, which is a thing but might have cracks in it. Proximity to big brother will matter even more. Of course, Evans' brother wouldn't be the first North Shore resident to move along with his family member and take up residence wherever the player lands, Austin included. 

• Like 1

We aren’t getting two 5-star RBs. If we get Bijan, then we aren’t getting Evans or either of the other RB possibilities. 

I’ll take the bird in the hand and be happy with Bijan and go after a lower-ranked speed back to compliment him. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

We aren’t getting two 5-star RBs. If we get Bijan, then we aren’t getting Evans or either of the other RB possibilities. 

I’ll take the bird in the hand and be happy with Bijan and go after a lower-ranked speed back to compliment him. 

Maybe..... Maybe Not??

giphy.gif

Shooters got to take their shots.....

Edited by LTtxfan