Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, NoName said:

here is a link to the actual podcast you can listen to online:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/a-tribe-called-yes-with-daron-k-roberts/e/61988158?autoplay=true

it is 54 min long

It's also available on Spotify..which I am listening on now.  I may have missed my calling, I used to draft on NCAA football/Madden relentlessly.. Instead I work from home doing medical coding..smh..Is it too late to be a BC in the making at 39??

IT

By: Justin and Eric

JASE MCCLELLAN

The official visit for the Aledo composite five-star running back was successful toward the end goal of trying to get him to sign with Texas but that isn't to suggest he'll de-commit in the immediate days. We still feel like if he has a flip in him Texas is the most likely destination but we aren't ready to predict a flip just yet.

A huge plus this weekend was more one-on-one time with coaches. On other occasions there was a lot more going on, including a previously un-reported visit (I think) earlier in the spring.

McClellan was engaged throughout the visit but did a good job of shielding his long-term intentions. Texas will keep chipping away.

Up next for Texas they'll try to motivate Bijan Robinson to commit. He'll notice some similarities from his recent visit to Ohio State, just with less Columbus and more Austin.

SUNDRY

-- Priority defensive lineman Vernon Broughton will finish up his official visit itinerary this weekend with a trip to College Station. We've heard Ohio State doesn't think they did enough to sway him and we heard the same from LSU. There were some weird rumblings after the Arkansas visit but we think those were manufactured. Broughton should be in line for a July decision.

-- Chad Lindberg will also be at A&M this weekend. He and Broughton know each other well and could possibly be teammates. Those two visiting A&M at the same time isn't a bad development for UT at all.

-- Corner back Joshua Eaton is signaling he'll announce in early July. I don't think the staff necessarily needs leverage for Jahari Rogers and Kitan Crawford but it's right there for them if they do. Eaton seems A&M bound, though UT should monitor him throughout because his physical traits are uncommon.

-- 2020 WR recruiting is a total crap shoot right now but small victories lead to big ones and getting Johnny Wilson to visit again on an unofficial is a small victory. This affords the staff the opportunity to match later-in-the-cycle official visits with Oregon.

• Like 1

One thing that stands out to me a bit about Broughton is that he told Perroni a week or two ago that he already has an idea of where he's going to go. Yet after each OV there's a least a little smoke that the team he was visiting has a chance or took the lead. I feel like he might be kind of telling people what they want to hear, whether it's purposeful or not. That seems like it would favor us but idk.

• Like 2

"We still feel like if he has a flip in him Texas is the most likely destination but we aren't ready to predict a flip just yet."

That's how it's fucking done right there. No actual update or facts or opinions and now no matter what McClellan does they can say they called it. Roach should be taking notes.  

• Like 2

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

One thing that stands out to me a bit about Broughton is that he told Perroni a week or two ago that he already has an idea of where he's going to go. Yet after each OV there's a least a little smoke that the team he was visiting has a chance or took the lead. I feel like he might be kind of telling people what they want to hear, whether it's purposeful or not. That seems like it would favor us but idk.

That would also explain the random Arkansas CB 

3 minutes ago, trythisathome said:

That would also explain the random Arkansas CB 

Based on that IT report it sounds like the difference between OSU/LSU and Arkansas is that the Arkansas staff feels good about Broughton. He also visited them before talking to Perroni. So they kind of scare me. 

Also this is all just my own take based on these reports so no clue if there's any truth to it

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Based on that IT report it sounds like the difference between OSU/LSU and Arkansas is that the Arkansas staff feels good about Broughton. He also visited them before talking to Perroni. So they kind of scare me. 

Also this is all just my own take based on these reports so no clue if there's any truth to it

Broughton isn't going to arkansas on a titanic ship that's already hit the iceberg..Or I'll dip my cock into a HOT cappuccino 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We said the same thing about Catalon

Morris loves the wholesome atmosphere angle.

Pitched ATX as a den of sin and iniquity to the uber-religious Catalons. Said he'd take care of the whole family to the Broughtons. If he can find the right in, it can work. We should win 99% of those recruitments, and usually do, but Giles doesn't fill anyone with a ton of confidence.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Thiefery said:

No, most of us leveled headed posters expected him to go to Ark, due to him and Morris tight relationship that has been there for years. 

This sounds like revisionist history of the highest order. Catalon was long thought to be a Texas lean until Chad got into his parents' ears on the OV about Zach Smith and Tom Herman and the evils of titty bars.

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This sounds like revisionist history of the highest order. Catalon was long thought to be a Texas lean until Chad got into his parents' ears on the OV about Zach Smith and Tom Herman and the evils of titty bars.

Wasn't there also a baseball angle along with a HS girlfriend attending Arky?  

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

Wasn't there also a baseball angle along with a HS girlfriend attending Arky?  

I don't remember what became of the undefeated, but I believe the baseball angle was massively overrated on message boards. It was merely a way for the coaching staffs to ingratiate themselves with Jalen, because he enjoys the sport.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This sounds like revisionist history of the highest order

I think this time last year most Texas fans #OnSurly had excepted that Arkansas was a big possibility, especially since he also wanted to play baseball. I don't remember any of us really thinking he was a Texas lean.

I think I remember toward December there being a little more hope than during the summer, for some reason, but it lasted a day or two. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I am pretty sure it was the formidable sin of G2 and Vodka that did Herman in here. 

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Catalon was Fong'd to Arky several months before he committed.  He's had a Texas pick in for Broughton since around March.

Young guys help the old guys please....the fuck is Fong'd? New one to me.  Please advise, TIA.

Just now, jdhorn92 said:

Young guys help the old guys please....the fuck is Fong'd? New one to me.  Please advise, TIA.

Steve Wiltfong is the head recruiting guy at 247. He has like a 90% accuracy rating on his crystal balls because he's a national guy and usually puts them in after the guy decides or silently commits. Fong'd is a term for him putting in a CB on a player. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The swing in Catalon's recruitment happened after his OV there in October. That's when he was "Fong'd" as well.

There's no use in rehashing this, so I'll drop it.

Kind of disagree with you regarding the use in rehashing this topic. The act of revisionist history and the "generally accepted" narrative is important, and in this instance you're correct. Most of us (I think) had viewed Catalon as in the calculator, due to his heavy relationship with Naivar, etc. I'm not sure how much the board focused on his recruitment, and I honestly think that's because everyone assumed he was a foregone conclusion...right up until the point that he wasn't. And now the narrative by some folks is "He was always favored to Arky" when that 100% was not the case at all. 

He was all Texas, then his first Mansfield teammate committed to Pig, then Taureon Carter, and then his OV. Last May, everyone just assumed we were finishing with Catalon and the 9.95ers felt similarly. As longhorn matt said, that's the importance of getting these seemingly low hanging commits to actually, you know, commit, and not just linger till they head elsewhere.

Just to close this post on an Oscar Giles reference that will make everyone groan but bring this full circle... Using the revisionist history narrative is the equivalent of looking at our 2018 Defensive Line haul and talking about what a stellar fucking recruiter that guy is for landing Coburn, Ossai, Ojomo, and Carson. There is danger there, specifically in ignoring the truth of how things happened in real time and not realizing Coburn was all Meekins, Ossai was Carrington and a lame duck Sumlin firing, Ojoma was a late bloomer we were fortunate to pick up, and Carson was also a Carrington special. What I'm trying to say, is sometimes how things happened is just as important as the final result. And that Oscar Giles fucking sucks. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He was all Texas, then his first Mansfield teammate committed to Pig, then Taureon Carter, and then his OV. Last May, everyone just assumed we were finishing with Catalon and the 9.95ers felt similarly. As longhorn matt said, that's the importance of getting these seemingly low hanging commits to actually, you know, commit, and not just linger till they head elsewhere.

At least Naivar was recruiter at the position and locked down Adimora and Owens. Perfectly happy with his response on that one.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Kind of disagree with you regarding the use in rehashing this topic. The act of revisionist history and the "generally accepted" narrative is important, and in this instance you're correct. Most of us (I think) had viewed Catalon as in the calculator, due to his heavy relationship with Naivar, etc. I'm not sure how much the board focused on his recruitment, and I honestly think that's because everyone assumed he was a foregone conclusion...right up until the point that he wasn't. And now the narrative by some folks is "He was always favored to Arky" when that 100% was not the case at all. 

Just to close this post on an Oscar Giles reference that will make everyone groan but bring this full circle... Using the revisionist history narrative is the equivalent of looking at our 2018 Defensive Line haul and talking about what a stellar fucking recruiter that guy is for landing Coburn, Ossai, Ojomo, and Carson. There is danger there, specifically in ignoring the truth of how things happened in real time and not realizing Coburn was all Meekins, Ossai was Carrington and a lame duck Sumlin firing, Ojoma was a late bloomer we were fortunate to pick up, and Carson was also a Carrington special. What I'm trying to say, is sometimes how things happened is just as important as the final result. And that Oscar Giles fucking sucks. 

So basically I have a date with a hot cup of cappuccino 

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Catalon had some built in connections with Morris/Arkansas that Broughton doesn’t have, that many of us didn’t know about until it was clear that Arkansas was a real threat 

yep. Catalon's relationship started when Morris was at SMU.  Broughton doesnt have that background with Morris

15 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Steve Wiltfong is the head recruiting guy at 247. He has like a 90% accuracy rating on his crystal balls because he's a national guy and usually puts them in after the guy decides or silently commits. Fong'd is a term for him putting in a CB on a player. 

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, Soldierhorn said:

yep. Catalon's relationship started when Morris was at SMU.  Broughton doesnt have that background with Morris

Chad Morris has a relative teaching at Catalon’s HS, iirc, which helped him get his foot in the door before anyone else. And there was the girlfriend thing. And the Bible thumping parents (no offense to bible thumpers here). And the teammates who committed to Arkansas. 

Of course, at the end of the day, the real deciding factor might have been easier playing time. And while it’s also an easier path to playing time for Broughton at Arkansas, that dude is probably getting starter snaps almost anywhere in the country by his second season, and considering he’s an early enrollee, he’s probably playing almost anywhere his true freshman year too. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's fair. Launching off this post to a fresher topic, I think we're going to see a fair number of priority targets off the board by the end of August, whether they are committed to Texas or somewhere else. In bold are the players who have announced or who I expect to have announced by the time we kick off against La Tech:

QB: Card, Jackson

RB: Robinson (I think he announces before September but there's a chance he doesn't), McClellan (he's a soft commit to OU, I don't consider his decision final until January), Evans (committed, but he's not coming here), Milton (ditto)

WR: Omeire, Demas (I think he's a soft commit to A&M, but he's not coming to Texas), Wilson, Johnston, Achane, Mookie

OL: Garth, Parr, Majors, Lindberg, George, Karic

TE/Y-back: Hullaby, Mikey Henderson

DL: Broughton, Collins, Princely

LB: White, Scott (I'm not sure he's a priority, but not sure who else to put here), Dorbah, Flowe (if he doesn't visit this weekend, he's for all purposes not on a realistic board)

CB: Crawford, Rogers, Kimber, Ringo

S: Thompson, Ransom, Washington, Alford

So most of the uncertainty will be at WR and ILB, plus the inevitable lining up of contingencies at DL because we move on from Princely and whiff on one or both of Broughton/Collins. And we need an RB2.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

CB: Crawford, Rogers, Kimber, Ringo

S: Thompson, Ransom, Washington, Alford

That haul for the secondary (if it comes to fruition) would be three straight classes of great talent coming in. The addition of Ringo would make it filthy.

Edited by Thiefery

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

Chad Morris has a relative teaching at Catalon’s HS, iirc, which helped him get his foot in the door before anyone else. And there was the girlfriend thing. And the Bible thumping parents (no offense to bible thumpers here). And the teammates who committed to Arkansas. 

Of course, at the end of the day, the real deciding factor might have been easier playing time. And while it’s also an easier path to playing time for Broughton at Arkansas, that dude is probably getting starter snaps almost anywhere in the country by his second season, and considering he’s an early enrollee, he’s probably playing almost anywhere his true freshman year too. 

yep. Relationships, relationships, relationships. 

It's like none of you learned anything from Higdon!   

haha

39 minutes ago, Fud said:

Chad Morris has a relative teaching at Catalon’s HS, iirc, which helped him get his foot in the door before anyone else. 

It was his sister I believe. As a result, he had way more contact with Catalon than any other coach. He also took two of Catalons teammates from Mansfield Legacy.

40 minutes ago, Machinator said:

WR: Omeire, Demas (I think he's a soft commit to A&M, but he's not coming to Texas), Wilson, Johnston, Achane, Mookie

You thinking Alabama? I thought Demas drank the koolaid

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

I can't imagine the meltdown there if he leaves. 

Oh, Indeed