Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

@TrojanPrincess, any insight into what QB recruiting is looking like for USC in 2020? I know they're looking at this guy as well:

https://247sports.com/player/dj-uiagalelei-45573350

do they prefer him to Bryce Young?

They're interested in both.  DJ also happens to be a great baseball player, till we know if football is his sport, they'll pursue both.  We do want to maintain our strong Poly culture, we have 13 Poly players on our roster, right there with Utah and Brigham Young.

Both have also attended multiple practices.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:

You always give them a shot to compete for QB. See Manziel and RG3

That's why Mack recruited HeisManz as a DB, but also suggested he play golf. Just think, if he'd taken Mack's advice he'd have no Heisman, but might have won a Masters. But for sure, he would still be playing pro golf or pro something besides pro--drug bust.

6 hours ago, TrojanPrincess said:

They're interested in both.  DJ also happens to be a great baseball player, till we know if football is his sport, they'll pursue both.  We do want to maintain our strong Poly culture, we have 13 Poly players on our roster, right there with Utah and Brigham Young.

Both have also attended multiple practices.  

What's the best free USC recruiting board for accurate info?

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Their 247 board is uh... interesting. No threads about Bryce Young.

Just one thread about Hines. Most of the posters don't seem to want him.  

Looking for a free one though, like Surly/Tigerdroppings/Brainiacs/secrantAlabama, etc

2 hours ago, Fud said:

What's the best free USC recruiting board for accurate info?

Scott Schrader is the best, on TrojanInsider...but it's paid.  I'm meeting him at Oaks Christian on Thurs, he is welcomed at every major HS football program and 7 on7 coaches in SoCal.  Contrary to popular belief, we're pretty passionate fans, most of us prefer to pay for our insider info because it's a community of knowledgeable fans and insiders that dispense with the click bait BS.

this is the best free site, look for posts by HelixTrojan.  WeAreSC.  

https://wearesc.com/forum/index.php 

Edited by TrojanPrincess
  • Like 4

TFB: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-wednesday-april-25th/

– Clear Creek (TX) ’20 Offensive Tackle Chad Lindberg visited Texas for the first time this weekend and left with an offer.

Lindberg is arguably the top OT in the state of Texas in 2020. He already has 15 offers, including Texas A&M, Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and now Texas. He told me “I really enjoyed UT. I was impressed by all the aspects of my visit and I see a bright future for them and the things that their staff is doing.”

There is a sense of urgency from Herb Hand and the staff in terms of prioritizing offensive lineman in the 2019 and 2020 classes, and that was not lost on Chad. Lindberg told me “I enjoyed the genuine want I felt for myself and the other O-Lineman that were there. I could tell they really recognize the importance of OL for them.”

He’s taken recent visits to Texas, Arkansas, and Georgia. He doesn’t have any other visits set as of now, and he told me “I will try to get out to Texas again as soon as I can. Outside of Texas I will be looking to visit Texas A&M soon. I’m also looking to take a trip that includes visits to SMU, TCU, and Baylor.”

One school that some have pegged as having an inside edge with Lindberg early on is Arkansas. The reason for that is one Lindberg’s HS coach is close with Arkansas offensive coordinator Joe Craddock. Lindberg has no leaders right now, but Texas made a really nice first impression. – (Andrew)

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

snooty-drinking-tea.gif

Haha.  Doesn’t matter, what matters is what recruits like.  Scott did a podcast interview with Chris Steele, to talk about recruiting and his visits so far, question posed was about the large spring game crowds...he said they were great and fun, (example) but you have to consider the game was in Norman, where there is “nothing else to do.”

The visibility and support of our former players, who started their own alumni club in 1956, very powerful and involved with the football program and the university itself, is not lost on them.  A full stadium, ultimately has nothing to do with the decision of a SoCal kid to go out of state.

IT

NORTH SHORE TO TEXAS

The Mustangs are loaded in the 2020 and 2021 classes. We all know running back extraordinaire Zachary Evans, but it's time to become more familiar with the rest of the brood.

Depending on who you talk to, North Shore is a Texas or LSU school. I've never really felt the coaches push one way or the other but it's true some coaches have worked LSU camps in the past. In recent classes LSU has received signatures from high profile players Eric Monroe and K'Lavon Chaisson. If you're on this board chances are you can rattle off the names of players Texas has signed from North Shore, even the oft-forgotten Barrett Matthews. Barrett....hmmm, I like the sound of that.

Despite notbeing in a big hurry even on the current class, Texas invited this young group of North Shore talent to the spring game.

RB Zach Evans, 2020: I've lost count how many times Evans visited Texas this spring, but he had yet another great trip. He spent more quality time with the entire staff. His impressions were the running backs could be hitting the hole harder. Funny, not many running backs hit the hole as hard as Evans. So, maybe they're trying, Z. He talked a bit with Noah Cain. There's some talk IMG wants Evans to join Cain in Florida but that will be shot down immediately at home. The staff absolutely loves Evans' competitive spirit. Asked if Cain (assuming he picks Texas, which we shouldn't do) would be an impediment to Evans we were told not at all. Evans thinks he'll start day-one regardless of where he signs. This has the potential to be the biggest recruitment the state has seen since 2015. Evans is a true difference maker at the position. North Shore hasn't always had the best line for him to run behind, so o-line quality could end up playing a big part in his decision down the road. We'll cross that bridge when we get there. The staff will be by to see him next week. Expect a constant rotation to swing through NS this spring. It's quite telling how hard the staff is recruiting him.

OL Damieon George, 2020: He has a lot left to learn, but one thing he won't need to learn is how to be 6-foot-6, 305 pounds. Indeed, he looks like a project at this point, but one that may prove well worth it. Let's not forget he has two seasons of high school remaining. One North Shore source is very high on his upside, calling him the second best prospect in the program.

QB Dematrius Davis Jr., 2021: If you're dropping dimes in NRG Stadium as a freshman you probably have a bright future. Davis operates with poise and a level of execution beyond his years. The 5-10, 180 pounder already holds a Baylor offer.

ATH Shadrach Banks, 2021: No relation to Shabba Ranks. Banks is a tale of two halves. His upper body looks like that of a young wide receiver; his lower body looks like a senior safety. He wants to remain at wide receiver but I told him that may not be the case. Keeping in line with that, one North Shore coach said he may be in the mold of Jabrill Peppers as a do-it-all. Banks may be a safety long term, but he's so good with the ball in the hands you may tinker with him on offense. Or, he may just stay at wide receiver and be hell after the catch. Great change of direction and stop-start. He already holds offers from A&M, Tennessee, and others. Even though he's a freshman he's a safe offer because worse case scenario he's a very good defensive prospect.

GEIREAN'S TRAVELS

The 2020 offensive lineman from up @malaise way in Ferndale, Washington, made the long trek to visit Austin this past weekend.

If it looks like he's trampling Lilliputians as he moves Swift-ly on the pull, it's because he basically is. For the life of me I can't figure out why he's considered a guard, but someone at 6-foot-5, 275 pounds, who moves that well is just as likely to be a left tackle as anything else.

We caught up with him to get his impressions on the Austin visit, as well as to just get to know him better.

"It was a great visit to UT. I really enjoyed it. Obviously meeting with Coach Herman and receiving an offer from him was exciting and an honor. Spending quality time with Coach Hand and seeing his presentation and then watching some film with him was awesome. I really liked Coach Hand. It was also really cool spending some time with other o-line recruits like Chad [Lindberg], EJ [Ndoma-Ogar], and Tyler [Johnson]."

I asked him about the appeal of the University of Washington:

"Obviously UW will be a consideration for me all the way to the end, but I am going to keep my options open. I have a lot of family in Texas and Oklahoma, actually, and visit family in that area a couple times a year. My dad actually took me to the Texas vs. OU game in the Cotton Bowl a few years ago. I'm glad I have a bit of time to figure things out since I'm only a sophomore."

Family in Texas AND Oklahoma?

"Oklahoma family, some are in Western OK and some in the Norman and Edmond areas. Texas family, some up in the Panhandle, but mostly in the greater DFW area."

I think the kid is vastly underrated at 91. Of course he holds an offer from U-Dub and Oklahoma, but Stanford has already jumped in the mix as well. That's quite early for David Shaw.

TEXAS STRAIGHTFORWARD WITH CLASSES AHEAD

As mentioned, Texas hosted a number of younger recruits over the weekend. How they manage a more deliberate timeline is important, and clear communication is necessary so as not to upset players who visit yet don't receive offers. When other schools are offering, and you don't, it can be used against you on the trail. The staff understands this and is being very clear in its communication by telling players when you get a Texas offer it means a little bit more, and it's a committable offer and that's why they take their time.

The underlining of 'committable offer' is a great way of gently telling a recruit these staffs are bull-s*itting you and we are not.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/04/open-post-weekend-april-27th-29th/

The Longhorns are not shying away from fighting for the best talent in the country. The Longhorns continued their pursuit of elite prospects on the West Coast by heading to Arizona.

2020 CB Kelee Ringo

The #1 Corner Back in the 2020 class received an offer recently after the Texas staff stopped by to evaluate Ringo. The 6’2″ 185 pound blue-chip displays the speed to stay with any receiver, the strength to dislodge a ball, and technique and awareness that makes him look like he could come into any program and fight for playing time. He seems to have a nose for the ball and an physical ability to make plays others just can’t.

Ringo is no secret as he’s pulled in 9 major offers over the past month and has already established relationships with the staffs at schools closer to home in Oregon, USC, and Washington. His family would like him to stick closer to home, but they understand the opportunity that has been presented to Kelee.

I’d expect Kelee to make a few trips outside of the West Coast and for Texas to be one of those if they push the right buttons.

The coaches are on a California Crusade this cycle. It all started with getting the commitment of the elite LB DeGabriel Floyd and has blossomed from there. Now that they have hit the road, the staff has put significant resources into making their way to check out the top talent out West. As I posted yesterday, they already hit up Arizona and had a lot of successful visits that generated a lot of excitement.

Now they’re finishing out the week in a hot bed of D1 talent and home of Texas greats like Ricky Williams and Johnnie Johnson.

2020 5-star QB Bryce Young
Add another 5-star to the list of May 6th weekend visitors. Bryce Young will be coming in for his third trip in last year and second in the past month. The staff had another successful visit with Bryce Young earlier this week where the decided to finally extend an offer. Texas is making him a priority, and if they continue showing the love, they could land a blue-chip 2020 QB before too long.

2020 5-star LB Justin Flowe
Seems like the Longhorns are trying to create a pipeline of LB talent out of California. Todd Orlando traveled to Upland, CA (between LA and San Bernardino) to meet the elite 2020 LB and extend an offer. Flowe is an electric LB and a natural fit at the Rover position for Texas, but could even add some weight and play Mike.

2020 4-star RB Kendall Milton
Stan Drayton stopped by Fresno to meet Kendall Milton and extend an offer. This is interesting because the state of Texas is LOADED at RB in 2020, but he’s a 15 year old superstar and Texas likes the guys who are young for their class.

2020 4-star QB DJ Uiagalelei
Tim Beck stopped by St. John Bosco as well to see the talent, and the front runner for the start QB of the 2020 All-Name Team caught his eye. 

DJ is a for sure offer, but they’ll probably focus on Bryce Young.  – (Will)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not to geography up this thread but how are Oregon and UDub "closer to home" in any practical sense for a recruit from Arizona?

They're all less than an hour's drive from Silsbee, TX, I think.  Maybe Pat Hudson can pick him up on the way to Austin?

IT

With the 2019 quarterback take in the bag, Texas is now focusing on 2020. Herman will not allow the QB depth chart to dip to the levels of the last 7-8 years. UT's top priority is SoCal pistol Bryce Young. 

The 6-foot, 175-pounder is the nation's top rated dual-threat who resides in Santa Ana (CA) and will attend football factory Mater Dei this fall. Young's offer list is a Who's Who of collegiate programs. Alabama, Georgia, USC, Oregon, Washington, and OU are among his many suitors. Texas joined that list on Tuesday after UT offensive coordinator Tim Beck went out to California to extend an offer to the 5-star.

“It's a blessing to get (UT's) offer,” said Young. “When I went out to Austin a couple of weeks ago I was really surprised with how nice and modern of a city it was, and how much there was to do around the University. Also the campus at UT was really impressive and the facilities were some of the best I’d ever seen.”

Young is very observant. He's also getting closer to the UT staff.

"I was just really excited," Young said. "I spoke with coach Beck before he came down to watch me throw. He said he was impressed and wanted to offer immediately.”

Not only is Texas building a great relationship, but they're doing a great job in all facets.

"I got a chance to watch a practice while I was in Austin and I definitely can see myself in their offense," said Young. "I love the system. I see myself fitting into the offense really well.”

“I’m going to commit before the start of my junior season," said Young. "I'm starting to narrow things down. I don't have a specific timeline, but it'll be by the end of the summer."

The best news is Young is coming back to Texas next weekend, during UT's big OV weekend. He'll stop by Norman, OK on Saturday, then stop by Austin on Sunday.

“I’m going to be going back to Texas on May 6th," said Young. "Really looking forward to it."

Texas has a number of guys on the Big Board - Young, Hudson Card, DJ Uiagalelei, and Malik Hornsby, who received a visit from Tim Beck yesterday. We can safely say Young is No. 1 and there’s a solid chance the staff won’t have to deviate.

TWO 2020s TO WATCH: Jaylen Garth, (OL) Port Neches-Groves and James Sylvester, (DL) Newton

Texas has hit the road running this week during the spring evaluation period. Two juniors-to-be who are ear-marked for a visit are PNG's Jaylen Garth and Newton's James Sylvester. Both are two of the more intriguing prospects in-state for the class of 2020.

Let's start with Garth. The 6-foot-5, 290-pound athletic offensive tackle is clocking in monthly growth spurts like it's his job. A year ago, he was 6-foot-2, 250, and uncoordinated with a bench max close to OU's Orlando Brown (150 pounds). Fast forward six months, and Garth started growing. He was hitting the weight room on the daily and adding muscle along with inches. All the while his athletic ability remained. By the end of last season's playoffs, Garth had reached 6'5, and added 40 pounds (15 lbs of muscle), and most notably his confidence was growing. He also enjoys blocking for the state's top dual-threat QB.

"Love playing with Roschon," said Garth. "He makes us look good. We couldn't ask for a better QB and better leader. I look up to him like a role model. From the beginning of this offseason, I'd see him being the hardest worker out here. I look up to him. I want to be like him."

Garth's recruitment is just know getting started, with Texas A&M his lone offer at this point.

"TCU, Baylor, Tulsa, and some other coaches started following me on Twitter," said Garth. "I went to UT's Junior Day with Roschon a few months ago, met with Texas coaches, and they talked about coming to see me this spring."

On that Texas visit got he met Herb Hand and saw what recruiting was all about. He'll see coach Hand again next week when the Texas offensive line coach stops by PN-G with Tim Beck.

"My No. 1 goal this season is to dominate on the field," said Garth. "I'm for sure going to make the Texas camp, A&M camp, and a few others this summer."

Garth is a take and I wouldn't be surprised if UT offers him soon.

Then there's Sylvester. He'll never be mistaken for a cat because this ETX prospect is all dog. At 6-foot-5, 225-pounds, and size 16 shoe, the 16-year old was an unknown outside of Newton, TX until the Eagles' 3A state title run. I caught Newton and Arp in San Augustine in the first round of the playoffs last fall. After a quarter of play, I tweeted out/posted in the Prospects Thread there's a potential monster in the piney woods between Lufkin and Orange. I then reached out to people close to the UT staff, to let them know what I was watching; a potentially big-time defensive end with a high ceiling and mean streak.

"Recruiting is going good so far," said Sylvester. "I'm expecting more schools to come through this spring. I've been working hard in the offseason. I visited A&M recently and liked it. I talk to Texas coaches, and all we talk about is me visiting them soon. (Coach Giles) wants to see me in person so they can offer me."

Like Garth, A&M has also offered Sylvester. And like Garth, the Newton defensive end wants a Texas offer.

"It would be good," aid Sylvester, about a UT offer. "I'll just keep myself humble and keep working hard. Texas is a school I'm definitely interested in."

I can see Sylvester visiting Austin probably around the summer camp season. I can also see an offer before his junior year begins as well.