Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Chrispy_ said:

Blair Angulo on 247 is reporting that Fillinger will most likely take an official to Utah and they are firmly in the mix. 

Blair Angulo: Four-star DL receives All-American Bowl jersey

The All-American Bowl Selection Tour made its way to Draper (Utah) Corner Canyon High School on Tuesday to present Top247 defensive lineman Van Fillinger with his jersey to play in the prestigious game that kicks off the 2020 calendar year. Fillinger, a four-star prospect, the No. 13 strong-side defensive end in the 2020 class and No. 2 among players from the state of Utah, spoke with 247Sports about the huge honor and the emotions he felt during his presentation ceremony in front of his family, friends and coaches.

"It's been really cool because this has been a goal for a long time and it's a huge game," Fillinger said. "Just to experience this with my coaches, teammates and family has been a real blessing. With this, I know that all my hard work is paying off. Just the experience is a real blessing because only a certain amount of people get to do this in their lives. When I got invited to the All-American Bowl combine and I watched the game, so I thought it was the coolest thing. Ever since sophomore year this had been a big goal of mine. I feel that Utah football can compete; I think my team can, I think I can personally and it's going to be cool to go out there and compete against the best of the best."

Fillinger accumulated a loaded scholarship offer sheet before announcing a commitment to the Texas Longhorns early in the summer. He is the nation's No. 283 overall prospect, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite rankings, but stacks up No. 137 in the Top 247. On the recruiting front, the 6-foot-3, 250-pound prospect plans to officially visit campus on the Dec. 13 weekend ahead of the early signing period but could also make another local stop in the next couple weeks.

"I know Texas hasn't met the big expectations but I believe that with that program and that level of coach, there is no doubt in my mind that they'll be a top team for the next several years," Fillinger said. "Coach Tom Herman and those guys are really consistent with me and reach out every day. I'll probably take a visit to Utah if I can, maybe this coming weekend, and hopefully I'll be ready to sign during the early period next month. If I'm not ready, I won't hesitate to push things back."

Fillinger is one of three players from the state of Utah set compete in the game, joining five-star linebacker Noah Sewell of Orem and four-star defensive lineman Xavier Carlton of Juan Diego Catholic. Former four-star receiver Puka Nacua, a freshman at Washington, was a standout in the previous game. A high-motor defender who uses hands well to shed blocks, Fillinger displays great burst off the snap, maintains leverage through contact and generates a strong push up front. He is tenacious in pass-rush situations, with a good array of moves and refined technique, and is more than capable as a run stuffer who dissects plays well.

Fillinger has the versatility to fit at several spots along the line and, although he could improve his overall quickness and gap discipline, has the upside to be a multi-year starter at the Power Five level and an All-Conference type performer. The All-American Bowl is scheduled for Jan. 4, 2020, inside the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas, and will air live on NBC.

1 hour ago, Hornsfan91 said:

and then Orlando began raving about 3 man fronts where dline dropped back in coverage of shallow and crossing routes, while the secondary blitzed from all angles.  This was followed up with introductions to the newest head physical therapist coach dealing exclusively with neck and shoulder injuries as proof that Texas was ready to up its physicality. Stressing tackling is for captains and upper classmen until players earn their stripes, expectations are that they hit in projectile fashion--heads down, hands to the side. Whatever Herman is snorting on the sidelines, I hope he shares it or the name of the team supplier, because it may be the key to watching the games.           

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Keeping Giles wouldn't bug me but I wouldn't be sad to see him go either. His is the only unit that appears generally competent on defense. The DL doesn't produce sacks because the plan is to play three DTs to eat double teams while randomly and incoherently blitzing from 5 plus yards off the ball. That's on Orlando, 100 percent.

I also think it's hard to pin Princely and Collins, should Texas indeed miss on the latter, on him. That's pretty clearly a symptom of the larger program-wide failures this year. Still, your point on recruiting stands to some degree. He's certainly not a difference maker in recruiting at a position where raw talent is at a premium.

A hypothetical involving Giles and Okam coaching together would probably yield some really strong results but that won't happen. I very much expect Giles back, for better or worse. Mehringer is fucking useless and his players hate him, but he's Herman's boy. Probably back. I think we're going to see a lot fewer changes than people expect and it still wouldn't surprise me if there aren't any at all, even though the writing seems to be on the wall.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Honestly? I'd be OK with Herman maybe keeping Naivar, Hand, Drayton (but only because it seems like we need him to keep Robinson), and I guess Beck could stay if he'll only be co-OC (passing game coordinator or some shit) due to his recruiting - but only if someone else is calling the plays. And none of those guys are absolved of anything - we've had some spectacularly shitty OL play lately, safeties who can't tackle worth a fuck, Ingram still running into the wrong gap/indecisively dancing around in the backfield too long, and Sam seems to have regressed.

If anyone besides those four guys is back, then fuck Herman forever. I won't ever cheer for Texas to lose, but I will be cheer for some kind of massive off the field scandal involving Herman's time at Houston, tOSU, ISU, Rice, Cal Lutheran, or where the fuck ever that gives us cause to shitcan him immediately.

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

BC needs to work his magic on Collins.. Then head out to Utah, AZ. We need Bijan, Collins and VF in this class 

Agree.  Also hoping for a high upside for this guy

• Andrej Karic  Andrej Karic     Southlake Carroll (Southlake, TX) 
    6-5 / 270  0.8960   Commit 7/24/2019    OT
    314 25 47
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, futureman said:

I love the kid but if I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard we were “building something special” in the last ten years...

Don't forget "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic"... heard it with Mack, with Charlie, and now with Herman. We need some new metaphors for failure because the usual ones just aren't cutting it anymore.

Edited by satyanash

(Mike Roach) Sources: Uncertainty abound for Texas assistants

With one game in the regular season remaining on the schedule, a bowl game and coaches expected to be out on the road during the next contact period (Dec. 1-15) leading up to the start of the early signing period (Dec. 18-20), it’s tough to get a feel for what direction Tom Herman is going with Texas staff when it comes to making changes. That’s because the coaches aren’t sure what’s going to happen.

I’ve checked in with multiple sources over the last few days and the vibe is that the coaches are in limbo right now, particularly the eight assistants (Tim Beck, Stan Drayton, Drew Mehringer, Corby Meekins, Derek Warehime, Oscar Giles, Jason Washington and Craig Naivar) don’t know for sure what the immediate future will hold. “Nobody knows where they stand,” a source with knowledge of the situation told me.

Based on the intel I’ve gathered, I haven’t been able to confirm that the coaches with expiring contracts are actively keeping in touch with recruits. That’s not to say with certainty that they haven’t been, but none of the prospects, high school coaches, sources close to them or our sources on the Texas side have confirmed that the lines of communication are active right now as far as the assistants are concerned.

The only Texas assistants who I know for sure has been in touch with recruits are Jason Washington and Herb Hand, but Hand's contract extends through next season after signing a three-year deal in January 2018. The same goes for Todd Orlando (one year remaining on the extension he signed following the 2017 season that gave him a bump in salary to $1.7 million per year), but Orlando typically doesn’t recruit all that much during the season (as is the case with coordinators, by and large).

All indications are that changes are coming. When and what those changes will be, however, remains to be seen. In fact, those changes probably won’t take place until the offseason.  Chip Brown has learned that assistant defensive back coach Michael Huff and recruiting director Bryan Carrington have been placed on standby to go out on the road during the contact period.  He will have more on that and other possible changes in The Eyes on Thursday.

For the time being, the eight coaches with uncertain futures are in wait-and-see mode, just like the rest of us waiting to see how things will unfold.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chopper said:

I've been avoiding listening to podcasts or reading the football board but Johnny Walker was a guest on Rod Baber's show yesterday and it made for interesting listening. About halfway through the 1st hour and for all of the second hour they discuss Texas football. 

Rod & Johnny certainly make some good points, but the game (at least the focus to reduce injuries) has changed a lot since Johnny played. I'm not even sure a player or coach have much input into whether a player plays injured or not? I believe now it's mostly the Dr/Trainer. Unless a player lies and says his ankle doesn't hurt when it does when the trainer turns it, how does the player get on the field?

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Baylor lines their DEs up outside in a more traditional 3 man front alignment.   That’s how Lynch got 1 on 1 edge matchups with our OTs and even TEs.   Our 3 tite front has both DEs in the 4i, which by alignment occupies both the OT and the OG.  

If we had our LB/DB blitzers lining up anywhere near the vicinity of the play and/or not trying to blitz the exact same gaps that are already clogged with a mass of humanity by our 3 inside defensive linemen, this theoretically could open up opportunities for blitzes to get home.   But as we all know, our blitzes are useless.  So, we basically do have 3 DL eating double teams instead of rushing the passer.

This also makes it impossible for them to set an edge in most cases as the tackle can block down based on alignment, leading to easy yards running outside. I don’t hate the 3 man front as much as I hate the alignment of them. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Orlando is going anywhere. When he’s stops stepping on his own dick, the defense is pretty effective. The past two games we had far less blitzes from way off the ball and we held two of the top offenses to low scoring games. Considering how many 3 and outs Texas had at Baylor and Iowa St, it’s quite an accomplishment that the game wasn’t truly out of reach until late in the game.

Hiring some secondary coaches and a LB coach who’s worth a shit could do amazing things for our tackling and containment. I’m not ready to completely give up on Orlando yet. Having experienced players with better coaching could produce a very solid defense next year.

• Like 6

I don’t think Orlando is going anywhere. When he’s stops stepping on his own dick, the defense is pretty effective. The past two games we had far less blitzes from way off the ball and we held two of the top offenses to low scoring games. Considering how many 3 and outs Texas had at Baylor and Iowa St, it’s quite an accomplishment that the game wasn’t truly out of reach until late in the game.
Hiring some secondary coaches and a LB coach who’s worth a shit could do amazing things for our tackling and containment. I’m not ready to completely give up on Orlando yet. Having experienced players with better coaching could produce a very solid defense next year.

A bit early for kool aid, no?

• Haha 1

Baylor lines their DEs up outside in a more traditional 3 man front alignment.   That’s how Lynch got 1 on 1 edge matchups with our OTs and even TEs.   Our 3 tite front has both DEs in the 4i, which by alignment occupies both the OT and the OG.  
If we had our LB/DB blitzers lining up anywhere near the vicinity of the play and/or not trying to blitz the exact same gaps that are already clogged with a mass of humanity by our 3 inside defensive linemen, this theoretically could open up opportunities for blitzes to get home.   But as we all know, our blitzes are useless.  So, we basically do have 3 DL eating double teams instead of rushing the passer.

This. I don't know why this keeps needing to be explained on this site.

• Like 1

As the coordinator it was his job to make sure we could tackle and cover - that it was being taught correctly - and he failed.  The coverage and tackling thing is two years running now.  And every year he's done stupid schematic things like putting us in alignments that create leverage for the offense, using guys like Ojomo and Roach in space, or not letting our best edge rusher be on the edge.  It's basic Mr. Potatohead stuff.  No doubt we will be better next year just by having more experienced guys.  But we are not going to have a championship defense, like Herman said he would have, with this dude.  Move on.

• Like 5

Realism.
I agree with you in that I think he stays.

What do you think is more realistic, though: The stars aligning to make the things you described happen, or Todd Orlando reverting back to the idiocy of the first eight games of this season because he feels vindicated with a vote of confidence from the HC and emboldened with more experienced players?

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Orlando should be fired for his failures in 3 off-seasons alone. He's a below average teacher. He has not improved. He is a big part of the problem, his LB unit is the worst on the D and he is not a good play caller. He is a below average recruiter. What else is left?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This also makes it impossible for them to set an edge in most cases as the tackle can block down based on alignment, leading to easy yards running outside. I don’t hate the 3 man front as much as I hate the alignment of them. 

The DE isn’t supposed to be responsible for setting the edge in the 3 tite. Most teams use 2 OLBs or an OLB and a big nickel. Orlando has pretty much just not even given anyone edge responsibility. Busprof posted a play from the BU game in the TO thread where Baylor lined up in heavy personnel and we used Ossai as an off ball LB and no no nickel on the other side, so there was literally no one with edge responsibilities on either side against a heavy set on first down. 

1 hour ago, futureman said:

the d has improved the last few weeks, and he’s under contract past this season.  orlando is going nowhere. 

It’s better than the Kansas game but that’s about it. The defense actually hasnt improved much at all otherwise. The raw stats have improved due to facing worse offenses that play at a slower pace, but the defense still has the same fundamental flaws even with some of our injured guys back and it’s still performing  poorly. Our defensive FEI has rightfully dropped 2 of the last 3 weeks, even though we’re pretty much fully healthy. This defense is topping out around 60th out of 125 and I won’t be surprised if it drops some after tomorrow’s game. 

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

Nope. The issues with this defense go way beyond talent, injuries, or even experience. 

Tackling/containment is somewhat on position coaching. Our DBs have been jumping inside when they have outside contain for God knows why for 2 straight years now, but most of the tackling/contain issues is Orlando as a DC putting guys in terrible positions to make plays, so better position coaching won’t do a whole lot for that. 

Overall, we’ve leveling out at about 60th right now, similar to last year, and we likely won’t improve much on that without a new DC, which is a horrible waste of the talent we have on defense this year and next. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Realism.

This exact same kind of "realism" was used to justify keeping Manny Diaz after 2012. Over a horrid four-game stretch, we gave up 50 ppg against Okie Lie, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Baylor. But because we 'improved' (didn't suck as blatantly) later in the year, we deluded ourselves into thinking 2013 would be better.

It wasn't.

Look, you emotional surly fucks. Todd Orlando is not my ideal DC. I was just pointing out the justification for why he’ll be retained and it makes sense. Everyone knew the defense would struggle this year before the season ever started. Did we think it would be as bad as it got? Hell no, but it was somewhat expected. 

I personally think the entire coaching staff should be fired but it’s not like there’s a realistic homerun hire out there that can justify the cost. Just because I stated progress “could” be made, doesn’t mean I’m pumping sunshine. I’m also not a doom and gloom like some of you. I may joke about it but it’s not who I am.

• Like 4

Baylor gets a great pass rush from their DEs because Lynch is a fucking stud, but also because they put a shitload of complexity on their LBs and they perform. This year, Baylor’s NT is just a two gapping stump, but their DEs do 4 things:

1. play the 4i hold up on the double 

2. 4i and then bust ass up field in a 1 gap 

3. traditional 5 tech and two gap

4. 7 tech and outside rush 

Baylor rarely asks the DEs to do the same thing on a given play and often mixes and matches their responsibilities. As a result, the LBs have to have their assignments screwed to the post, and frequently have two gap run responsibilities on passing downs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Look, you emotional surly fucks. Todd Orlando is not my ideal DC. I was just pointing out the a dumb and emotional justification for why he’ll be retained and it makes no fucking sense. Everyone knew feared the defense would struggle this year before the season ever started because it's led by a DC who has wasted 3 off-seasons here and coaches dumb, meathead fb. Did we think it would be as bad as it got? Hell no, but it was somewhat expected

I personally think the entire coaching staff should be fired but it’s not like there’s a realistic homerun hire out there that can justify the cost. Just because I stated progress “could” be made, doesn’t mean I’m pumping sunshine. I’m also not a doom and gloom like some of you. I may joke about it but it’s not who I am.

FIFY.

2 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

As the coordinator it was his job to make sure we could tackle and cover - that it was being taught correctly - and he failed.  The coverage and tackling thing is two years running now.  And every year he's done stupid schematic things like putting us in alignments that create leverage for the offense, using guys like Ojomo and Roach in space, or not letting our best edge rusher be on the edge.  It's basic Mr. Potatohead stuff.  No doubt we will be better next year just by having more experienced guys.  But we are not going to have a championship defense, like Herman said he would have, with this dude.  Move on.

i mean...isn't his job as the coordinator more high level/strategic around the scheme and isn't it the job of specific position coaches to makes sure their players can do the basis required for the position?

blame him for failures with regard to scheme and not putting guys in the right places - certainly.

but i will never understand folks saying it is the DC's job to get guys to do basic tackling...

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

i mean...isn't his job as the coordinator more high level/strategic around the scheme and isn't it the job of specific position coaches to makes sure their players can do the basis required for the position?

blame him for failures with regard to scheme and not putting guys in the right places - certainly.

but i will never understand folks saying it is the DC's job to get guys to do basic tackling...

He declined help in the off-season and is responsible for the worst unit on D, LB's. He is a problem, not part of the solution.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, satyanash said:

This exact same kind of "realism" was used to justify keeping Manny Diaz after 2012. Over a horrid four-game stretch, we gave up 50 ppg against Okie Lie, West Virginia, Oklahoma, and Baylor. But because we 'improved' (didn't suck as blatantly) later in the year, we deluded ourselves into thinking 2013 would be better.

It wasn't.

Whole bunch of Manny Diaz shit here:

Spoiler

those teams were really fucking good offensive teams in 2012. blame him for his issues but it isn't like he was giving up 50 points across those games to shitty offenses.

OFEI  rankings for 2012:

• Oklahoma State: #13 overall
  • West Virginia: #9 overall
  • Oklahoma: #8 overall
  • Baylor: #2 overall

Diaz as DC at Texas:

• 2011: #6 in DFEI
  • 2012: #63 in DFEI

Texas finished 2013 at #23

Also, Manny Diaz as a DC after leaving Texas was pretty damn good:

• 2014 - La Tech: #21 (Texas was #13)
  • 2015 - Miss State: #31 (Texas was #47)
  • 2016 - Miami: #11 (Texas was #51)
  • 2017 - Miami: #15 (Texas was #7)
  • 2018 - Miami: #5 (Texas was #44)
  • 2019 - Miami as HC: #19 (Texas is #57)

Manny had his issues here, but he learned from being here and has had success clearly. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

Manny had his issues here, but he learned from being here and has had success clearly. 

His issues here were the Co-DC having control over scheme in 2012 and 2013.

He won a Broyles and landed a HC job after he left.  He is not a bad DC, it was a bad decision to pair him with Akina and let them duke it out with no HC oversight.

RGZ-UT-BYU-21.jpg

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Goodman said:

Orlando should be fired for his failures in 3 off-seasons alone. He's a below average teacher. He has not improved. He is a big part of the problem, his LB unit is the worst on the D and he is not a good play caller. He is a below average recruiter. What else is left?

whiteboard magic - that is what we have in Orlando and Herman.  It all looks great on the whiteboard.  thats why Herman said we made some good adjustments in the run game during the week.

"Uh no you didn't Tom because you got stuffed like a motherfucker..."