Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Crawford. Didn’t these guys just come out saying they are all in?

When you were in hs, you couldn’t decide whether to do your homework or beat off. Imagine reporters texting you about that decision. “Still not beating off. Hook ‘em”.

Kids are people pleasers, they say what you want to hear until things change. Don’t read into tweets, especially the overtly positive ones. Think Demas ends up “building something special” at aggy? No.

10 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

maybe looking for somebody with proven ability to coach the position. Samples is a beast at recruiting. but there is no indication of what his ability to coach the position is. and that is something we need in our next WR coach.

or holding it off for the next OC to install his guy. 

At this point I will take a cool guy who the players actually like and who can recruit over a fiucking WR professor. Anything to wash the stench off of the Meh era.

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Whoever our new DC is, I’d love to see him target Okam for DL coach. Get a Texas ex that’s proven to be a good coach/recruiter and potentially lock up/steal Collins (depending on where you think he’s leaning). 

Always great to get a double win on a new staff hire -- 1) Add a Great Coach and 2) Weaken a B12 opponents staff.

Hiring Okam sounds like an Art of War move.

Whoever our new DC is, I’d love to see him target Okam for DL coach. Get a Texas ex that’s proven to be a good coach/recruiter and potentially lock up/steal Collins (depending on where you think he’s leaning). 

Makes too much sense to happen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Baylor runs a 3 man front and has 2 DL coaches. Interesting, but yes, bring back Frank to the 40. I'm always in favor of getting alumni to return to take coaching positions. No one can sell playing at Texas better than a coach that played at Texas unless they are lazy.

D93-Vo-YWW4-AE1-TRD.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Okam at DT coach and Giles at DE coach makes too much sense. But whoever we hire at DC (pls not Ash) will probably have their own preferences.

You should want Ash.  That way when we give up an average of 35 to spread teams and Herman gets fired, you can come back and quote all your posts about how he only ever proved himself against plodding Big 10 offenses.  

FWIW Rod Babers did some research about Ash's history as a defensive coach and discussed it pretty in-depth on the part of yesterday's show that I heard (hour 2). It mollified some of my concerns about Ash. Basically it boiled down to Ash being a good developer of talent, innovative and strategic. Each quality would be an upgrade from where we were with our DC last year.

https://soundcloud.com/hornfm/the-rodcast-december-3rd-2019-hour-2?in=hornfm/sets/the-rodcast

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Chopper said:

FWIW Rod Babers did some research about Ash's history as a defensive coach and discussed it pretty in-depth on the part of yesterday's show that I heard (hour 2). It mollified some of my concerns about Ash. Basically it boiled down to Ash being a good developer of talent, innovative and strategic. Each quality would be an upgrade from where we were with our DC last year.

https://soundcloud.com/hornfm/the-rodcast-december-3rd-2019-hour-2?in=hornfm/sets/the-rodcast

I'm not saying it should be Ash, but it would be hilarious to see the pretzel logic people would use next year if Urban is the coach and he hires Ash to be his DC.

Edited by HtownHorn

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm not saying it should be Ash, but it would be hilarious to see the pretzel logic people would use next year if Urban is the coach and he hires Ash to be his DC.

- I'm not saying it should be Ash either, but would it be pretzel logic to have more faith in the hiring decisions of a coach who's won 3 national championships?  2 titles at 2 different schools, in less time than Herman's spent here?

- On a related, more specific note, would it be unreasonable to expect Meyer to be more successful in extracting the best out of Ash, and perhaps be better able to curb or compensate for his negatives (by himself or through other hires), than Herman would?

Just saying the opinion of the choice may rightfully be influenced by who makes it. 

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- I'm not saying it should be Ash either, but would it be pretzel logic to have more faith in the hiring decisions of a coach who's won 3 national championships?  2 titles at 2 different schools, in less time than Herman's spent here?

- On a related, more specific note, would it be unreasonable to expect Meyer to be more successful in extracting the best out of Ash, and perhaps be better able to curb or compensate for his negatives (by himself or through other hires), than Herman would?

Just saying the opinion of the choice may rightfully be influenced by who makes it. 

I don't know. The 2013 Ohio State passing defense was complete trash, so maybe and maybe not, but it would absolutely be pretzel logic to expect Ash to be magically better because Meyer hired him compared to Herman hiring him.

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't know. The 2013 Ohio State passing defense was complete trash, so maybe and maybe not, but it would absolutely be pretzel logic to expect Ash to be magically better because Meyer hired him compared to Herman hiring him.

Scenario #1: Your wife walks into the room and gives you a sandwich to eat.

Scenario #2: Your dog walks into the room and gives you a sandwich to eat.

It might end up being the exact same fucking sandwich, but it is not pretzel logic to be more optimistic about how #1 will taste.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Scenario #1: Your wife walks into the room and gives you a sandwich to eat.

Scenario #2: Your dog walks into the room and gives you a sandwich to eat.

It might end up being the exact same fucking sandwich, but it is not pretzel logic to be more optimistic about how #1 will taste.

Pretzel logic at it's finest.

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

You think it's the definition of faulty logic to expect a sandwich made by your wife to taste better than one made by a fucking dog? 

No it's faulty, because the dog would eat the sandwich. It's also such a retarded scenario, it hardly applicable to the real world.

30 minutes ago, Getafix said:

You mean the same guy that hired Zack Smith?

• Like 1

Just for what it's worth, Ash to DC would almost definitely mean Overshown to LB. No idea whether that would be good or bad, but it would definitely be necessary.

It would mean a lot of other things, too, but I really, really, really hope whoever is pulling the strings on our hiring process is asking the right questions, because these coaches need to be vetted for their own qualities/philosophies, but also with regard to how those qualities/philosophies play out given the roster they'll be dealing with. A rabid, manic, pipe-wielding middle linebacker with wheels is not going to magically appear just because we hire a new DC.

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Just for what it's worth, Ash to DC would almost definitely mean Overshown to The Portal. No idea whether that would be good or bad, but it would definitely be necessary.

It would mean a lot of other things, too, but I really, really, really hope whoever is pulling the strings on our hiring process is asking the right questions, because these coaches need to be vetted for their own qualities/philosophies, but also with regard to how those qualities/philosophies play out given the roster they'll be dealing with. A rabid, manic, pipe-wielding middle linebacker with wheels is not going to magically appear just because we hire a new DC.

FIFY

Eyes of Texas: Tom Herman's coaching search is on, injury update

TOM HERMAN'S SEARCHES ARE ON

As we reported in last week’s Eyes of Texas, Tom Herman was already looking for a new offensive coordinator and Graham Harrell was expected to emerge as a frontrunner. That has certainly played out. We’ll touch on Herman’s offensive coordinator search before we get to his search for Todd Orlando’s replacement. A source close to Harrell said Texas strength and conditioning coach Yancy McKnight is the one doing the advance work for Herman — making contact with candidates and feeling them out.

According to our sources, Harrell expressed interest in possibly becoming the offensive coordinator for Herman, and conversations moved along rather quickly. One source said there was talk about the possibility of the new offensive coordinator even coming in to teach the new offense to Texas players during bowl practices. That raised questions about which assistant coaches would be a part of the bowl preparations - and who would be learning the offense as a part of the staff going forward?

Outside receivers coach Drew Mehringer has been fired, and inside receivers coach Corby Meekins is being reassigned. Tim Beck has been relieved of his offensive coordinator duties, but Texas announced Sunday Beck has been retained as quarterbacks coach “through the bowl game.” Tight ends coach Derek Warehime, offensive line coach Herb Hand and running backs coach Stan Drayton remain on the staff. But sources have indicated to Horns247 there could be more staff changes coming, in part, based on the new offensive coordinator.

A source told Horns247 Harrell had been in contact with at least one coach to discuss the possibility of going to Texas as a member of the offensive staff. One source said they believed parameters of a deal for Harrell at Texas would be in the range of three years guaranteed at roughly $2 million per year. But that’s been difficult to confirm with anyone with direct knowledge of the situation. USC is a private school and doesn’t have to disclose salary information, but it’s believed Harrell earned just less than $1 million, according to sources.

We were told Harrell interviewed for the vacant UTSA head-coaching job on Monday in Dallas. But it’s unlikely UTSA could pay Harrell as much as he’d earn at Texas. Former UTSA coach Frank Wilson was earning just more than $1 million, when Wilson was let go in the last week. The looming question in Harrell’s situation is obviously the fate of USC coach Clay Helton. Initially, there was a report Sunday from Adam Maya of SI Now’s Trojan Maven that USC was going to dismiss Helton with an eye on hiring Urban Meyer. But several reports immediately followed - including Pat Forde of Sports Illustrated - disputing Maya’s report.

Coaching Scoop reported Wednesday morning USC would retain Helton, which leads us to the question about what that would mean for Harrell in terms of a possible financial package to stay at USC with Helton? Sources told Horns247 Harrell was interested in a possible opportunity at Texas - even if Helton was retained, because he’s a native Texan (from Ennis), and his wife, Brittney, is from Tyler. As far as possible offensive staff members who would make sense if Harrell is hired, keep your eye on Emmett Jones, who is currently the receivers coach at Kansas but coached at Tech with Kliff Kingsbury the three years prior. Jones is a former DFW high school coach (South Oak Cliff) with solid recruiting connections in the area.

As far as Herman’s search for Orlando’s replacement as defensive coordinator, there’s no doubt when Herman made the move he had a primary guy in mind: Chris Ash. Ash served as co-defensive coordinator at Ohio State (with Luke Fickell) on the same staff with Herman in 2014, when the Buckeyes won the national title while giving up 22.0 points per game. Herman left Ohio State to become the head coach at Houston in 2015, while Ash remained at Ohio State and helped oversee a Buckeyes’ defense that gave up 15.1 points per game in 2015. Ash became the head coach at Rutgers in 2016 and was dismissed five games into this season after going 8-33.

Sources told Horns247 Herman would’ve taken Ash with him to Houston if Ash wasn’t already in a high-profile defensive coordinator position (at Ohio State). Herman obviously hired Orlando away from Matt Wells’ staff at Utah State to run Herman’s defense at Houston and then at Texas. Sources told Horns247 Ash had been contacted about possible interest in defensive coordinator openings at N.C. State, Washington State and Arizona.

But the one scenario Ash might be waiting to see play out is if Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley, one of five Broyles Award finalists as the top assistant in college football, possibly gets the Boston College job, creating a defensive coordinator opening back at Ohio State. Otherwise, it’s likely Ash, who is owed $8.47 million in his buyout at Rutgers, would come to Texas to run Herman’s defense.

DOES SAM COSMI HAVE A DECISION?

Entering the 2019 season, there was a real question about if Samuel Cosmi, a redshirt sophomore who made the move from right tackle to left tackle, might have a decision to make regarding the 2020 NFL Draft. As of right now, I think it’s fair to say the Texas coaching staff believes Cosmi is leaning toward returning for his redshirt junior season at Texas, according to what we’ve heard.

The three NFL scouts I talk to most all believe it would be in Cosmi’s best interest to return to Texas and polish up his technique (footwork and use of his hands primarily), especially in pass protection. Cosmi, like much of the offensive line, got off to a good start to the season, but suffered from inconsistency beginning with this year’s game against Oklahoma, when Texas gave up nine sacks and 15 tackles for loss in a 34-27 defeat.

Before the Red River Shootout, Cosmi had made some comments regarding Oklahoma’s defensive linemen that they were good “but nothing too much to worry about.” Senior center and captain Zach Shackelford later said it was probably a lesson learned for Cosmi about what to say and what not to say leading up to a game. Cosmi was never made available to the media again after the OU game.

THE LATEST INJURY UPDATE

Hearing it’s not likely freshman running back Jordan Whittington will be able to play in Texas’ bowl game, related to the pain he’s experienced since having a second sports hernia surgery the first week of September (after having one in high school). Whittington’s surgery was performed by a leading sports hernia expert — Dr. William Meyers of Philadelphia — whom Tom Herman dubbed “The Godfather” of sports hernia surgery. According to a source, Whittington is expected to have a follow-up visit with Dr. Meyers next week.

Some good news …

Hearing tight end Cade Brewer (ankle) has either been cleared or is real, real close to being medically cleared to begin practicing in preparation for Texas’ bowl game. Brewer had surgery on a torn ankle ligament suffered against TCU back on Oct. 26.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

FIFY

Well, fuck. If you wanna be that way about it.

But, yeah. Honestly, I'm more worried about personnel problems with Ash than I am with him being a Herman bro. We need a DC who can make something out of the roster he's going to have -- I don't give a fuck if he's currently working as Herman's gardener. If he has some idea of how to get the current guys to perform, sign him up.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

But, yeah. Honestly, I'm more worried about personnel problems with Ash than I am with him being a Herman bro. We need a DC who can make something out of the roster he's going to have -- I don't give a fuck if he's currently working as Herman's gardener. If he has some idea of how to get the current guys to perform, sign him up.

If he can teach our DB's to actually look for the ball, I'll be ecstatic. 

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I don't want to be that way. But the existing players very well might. 

I'll be honest man, at this point, I struggle to get past the Herman Bro. We've seen what kind of culture a group of those shitbags working in symphony have created with Mehringer. IT has already said players know Ash fairly well and don't like him much. Worrying about scheme over coaching hires is basically the exercise we went through when Herman assembled this staff of blithering dipshits in the first place, and so far it's played out in the worst possible way and exactly as some folks predicted. And was predicted for Strong and his hires. Steve Patterson got the job because he blew the BOR away in his interview over Oliver Luck.

At some point, I'm less interested with the lip service some fuckface gives in an interview to Herman or anyone else and more concerned with the quality of the hire(s) in general based upon resume, and personally at this point being a Herman Bro is a big ass fucking demerit based upon several data points of experience, and I have zero reason to ignore it. Herman doesn't have a good relationship with the players, and his direct underlings more or less also have been nothing but bad cops. Ash already has a shitty reputation there as well. Why add him to a culture that makes his worst characteristics amplified because Bro?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, satyanash said:

But the one scenario Ash might be waiting to see play out is if Ohio State defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley, one of five Broyles Award finalists as the top assistant in college football, possibly gets the Boston College job, creating a defensive coordinator opening back at Ohio State.

So Ash may be in line to become DC at OSU, but 90% of thr posters here have concluded that he'd be a bad hire at Texas. I could care less if he and Herman are friends or if it's a comfort hire. If he's a good candidate then he deserves to be considered, and if he's the best candidate we should have already hired him.