Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Eric Nahlin: Harrell Watch! 12/7/19

I believe Harrell punctuated his meeting with Tom Herman on Wednesday by giving the Texas head coach the feeling he was UT bound. The source who intimated this is confident the meeting was a runaway success. I will say that Harrell was clear with Herman he still needed to talk to his family and USC. On Friday afternoon, the LA Times reported USC offered Harrell a new contract. The figures aren't known, but rest assured it was a big offer as the USC brass are under tremendous pressure to keep Harrell while a rabid fan base and donor group looks every bit like Texas circa 2013-2014.

As I've written, I don't believe Harrell's decision will come down to money because he's getting paid regardless. If USC wins out, they just made a better case, and probably did an excellent job playing up the loyalty angle to good guy Clay Helton and favored son Kedon Slovis. Last night, Herman remained proactive by attending the Ennis vs Aledo playoff game, won narrowly by Aledo. Normally coaches pop in and out of high school games, but Herman was there early and stayed for a while after. I can't confirm whether or not he talked to Sam Harrell, Ennis' head coach and Graham's father, but clearly it wasn't a coincidence he took in his first Ennis game in his time at Texas (that I can recall, anyway).

A side benefit to attending the game was to recruit 2021 receiver JoJo Earle. He also gave Jase McClellan an 'I see you out there' fist bump after the game. McClellan seems locked into OU still. With the 2020 recruiting cycle coming to a close, Herman's biggest fish is Harrell. We believe that Herman and UT have Harrell's family on his side in wanting the former Texas Tech quarterback to return to the Lone Star state. That doesn't hurt and may carry the day.

If Harrell elects to stay in Southern California we'll get to see who the other candidates are. We know there are contingencies because I finally heard a sourced name and because of course there are contingencies. I have no idea how long and distinguished the list is but Eliah Drinkwitz from Appalachian State is on it. Who, what, huh? Drinkwitz, who looks more like an accountant, makes sense as someone who operates a functioning Tom Herman-ish offense. The most notable thing here is Texas has a list. I'm curious who else is on it. I don't imagine Drinkwitz is at the top.

Hopefully we find out who the other candidates are, but only as a minor footnote to the Harrell to Texas story.

22 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Just watched app state set up a beautiful screen play for a touchdown on their opening drive. Why would a head coach at app state come be the OC for us?  Don’t see it when he has to be in line for a better job soon.

I feel bad that nothing good has ever happened in your life but good things can happen.

23 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

Hopefully the committee screws Baylor out of the CFP if they beat ousux.

Unless Georgia upsets LSU, one of ousux or baylor will be in. Utah fucked it up. Hopefully we announce we're hiring Phil Snow away from Baylor after this fucking game so that we get a W today too.

Edited by Chopper