Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

12 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Hopefully Yurcich actually taps into the positional flexibility we have on offense next season.  Roschon and Whittington are two pieces that a creative OC could do a whole hell of a lot with.  Roschon may not be the full-time future answer at QB, but I feel like his passing skills are surely something we should be able to utilize at some point.   

123 runs vs 1 pass does not seem like the optimal ratio for a QB playing RB.  

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

He should be. Just because he's good in coverage, doesn't mean that he's not better rushing the passer and setting the edge. It's nice to have guys like Ossai and Dorbah that can credibly drop in coverage or man a fire zone every once in a long while, but they should both be utilized as true DEs in Ash's defense.

This is just more classic overthinking from Boyd.  Ash runs a pretty straightforward 4 down with primarily quarters coverage behind, sometimes cover 1/man free if he wants to blitz.  Boyd spending so much time talking about dropping 8 and playing the Cover 2 Robber (not Inverted Tampa 2 like he keeps calling it) is just him once again missing the forest for the trees.

It's nice that both Ossai and Dorbah have the fluidity and athleticism to drop every once in a while or to add a wrinkle against a specific opponent, but they both need to be used as true DEs, whether 2 point stance or hands in the dirt, most of the time. Switching Dorbah to LB in either a 4-3 or 4-2-5 would be a big mistake. I doubt Ash will make this mistake, since he focuses so much on development of talent over scheme. 

Boyd's going to struggle with writing about a Chris Ash defense. The two are basically polar opposites. 

Ideally, Dorbah is going to spend a full year and a half locked in the weight room with Yancey, and when he finally gets out, no one will suggest that he play LB or drop in coverage.

10 hours ago, Richter said:

If Deion Sanders says Zach Evans is a good kid, that’s good enough for me.

That was an uncomfortable interview. Did anyone see the TE that committed to Georgia? Had his baby on stage with his girlfriend. ESPN announcer asked him what went into his decision to choose Georgia and he replied daycare for his baby. Kirby has every angle covered. 

Edited by texaslong
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

So just to make sure I’m interpreting that interview correctly, Evans basically got on TV and begged Georgia coaches specifically to accept his NLI, is that correct? Because that’s what it sounded like to me. 

I’m sure if they don’t the contortions aggy will do to justify everything in his recruitment will be delightful. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, texifornia said:

UGA could invalidate it and let him go. Remember the Du'Vonta Lampkin adventure?

(for those who are curious, Du'Vonta had a tremendous 1 tackle and an INT (lol) for THE Massachusetts Pirates this year, the indoor football pride of Worcester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du'Vonta_Lampkin)

this line is in his wiki, which i did not remember/know

After the season, he decided to forgo the remaining two years of eligibility, but ended up undrafted.

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So just to make sure I’m interpreting that interview correctly, Evans basically got on TV and begged Georgia coaches specifically to accept his NLI, is that correct? Because that’s what it sounded like to me. 

That's what I hear as well.

46 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m sure if they don’t the contortions aggy will do to justify everything in his recruitment will be delightful. 

Pretty much.  He sat on the bench and said that he made a dumb mistake and has learned from it and that he’s ready to go and get to work. Said he’s been humbled and knows he let teammates down. Then Deion said he’s a good kid that just messed up and has learned his lesson from it.  Then Deion talked about that, back in the day, he made a mistake and his coach let him back on the team and look what he did with it. 

Edited by BurntOrangeBlooded15

8 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

Pretty much.  He sat on the bench and said that he made a dumb mistake and has learned from it and that he’s ready to go and get to work. Said he’s been humbled and knows he let teammates down. Then Deion said he’s a good kid that just messed up and has learned his lesson from it.  Then Deion talked about that, back in the day, he made a mistake and his coach let him back on the team and look what he did with it. 

And Dion said he will be playing on Sundays. 

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

UGA could invalidate it and let him go. Remember the Du'Vonta Lampkin adventure?

(for those who are curious, Du'Vonta had a tremendous 1 tackle and an INT (lol) for THE Massachusetts Pirates this year, the indoor football pride of Worcester: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du'Vonta_Lampkin)

spacer.png

• Like 2

17 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah.  UGA could release him at any point.

That's not exactly what happened with Lampkin.  You get automatically released if you don't get admittance into the university you sign with, so he thought he would just fail Spanish and move on.  However, the NCAA doesn't release you to transfer if you don't qualify at the university you signed with.  He appealed to the NCAA and lost.  Then, he sued and the NCAA released him.

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Let’s recap.

- Evans had his hands out his entire recruitment asking for money.

-  He openly was implying that he would not sign with a school that did not “take care” of his teammate, that fat fuck OL... can’t remember his name.

- He thrashed the Texas coaches and players and then the aggy coaches publicly.  His head coach forced him to visit those schools to apologize in fear that they would stop recruiting his teammates.

-  He stopped going to class all of spring football.

-  He told the Alabama RB coach to fuck himself and along with their fans on a live video bc the coach told him he wouldn’t start at Bama if he didn’t mature.

-  He admitted in an interview over the summer that he plays recruiting games with schools to see what he can get.

-  He punched one of his coaches and got suspended.

-  I’m not sure what he did again, but he got suspended again from the state championship game by his HC and was sent home.

-  UGA is not accepting his LOI.

No school with success and good locker room is going to take this kid.   He has red flags all over him.  He’s a head case that only cares about himself.  He thinks he’s above his coaches, his teammates, and the program.  Any school that accepts his LOI, assuming he has the grades, will do so knowing he’s going to cause drama and that there’s probably enough dirt out there on him that it’s a NCAA investigation waiting to happen.  With that said, aggy will do anything to sign him.

Fuck this kid.  He doesn’t deserve the opportunity of a free education with the way he’s fucked around.  

But Deion says he's a good kid, so.

The fat OL is Damieon George, who is down to 3 stars and did not sign with Bama on NSD1: https://247sports.com/Player/Damieon-George-46050364/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Let’s recap.

-  He openly was implying that he would not sign with a school that did not “take care” of his teammate, that fat fuck OL... can’t remember his name.

- He thrashed the Texas coaches and players and then the aggy coaches publicly.  His head coach forced him to visit those schools to apologize in fear that they would stop recruiting his teammates.

-  He told the Alabama RB coach to fuck himself and along with their fans on a live video bc the coach told him he wouldn’t start at Bama if he didn’t mature.

-  He admitted in an interview over the summer that he plays recruiting games with schools to see what he can get.

-  I’m not sure what he did again, but he got suspended again from the state championship game by his HC and was sent home.

No school with success and good locker room is going to take this kid.   He has red flags all over him.  He’s a head case that only cares about himself.  He thinks he’s above his coaches, his teammates, and the program.  Any school that accepts his LOI, assuming he has the grades, will do so knowing he’s going to cause drama and that there’s probably enough dirt out there on him that it’s a NCAA investigation waiting to happen.  With that said, aggy will do anything to sign him.

Fuck this kid.  He doesn’t deserve the opportunity of a free education with the way he’s fucked around.  

Looks like Damieon George did NOT sign during the early period, but is still committed to Bama. What are the odds he gets trap doored and ends up at Aggy? 

8 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Let’s recap.

Soooo...in short...Bijanukkah?

5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Which school is it looking like for George? Please let it be aggy.

Sounds like everyone's waiting to see how Bama's second signing period goes. The buzz around him from AA practices hasn't been dreadful, so he might scrape his way in: https://247sports.com/Article/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Bama-OL-pledge-100-percent-committed--141296984/

Edited by texifornia

Just now, irishtexan said:

Looks like Damieon George did NOT sign during the early period, but is still committed to Bama. What are the odds he gets trap doored and ends up at Aggy? 

Lmao, didn’t know that.  Fuck that kid too.

You know it has to be bad when Deon felt the need to have the kid publicly apologize in national TV.  What did this kid do?  I’m interested.  

Also, Clemson passed on Evans very early due to  him not fitting their culture.  Texas stopped recruiting him early in the summer.  Thank goodness for Bijan.  Ou didn’t spend too much time recruiting him.  LSU has a pipeline to Northshore and they don’t seem too interested.  Bama took his OL buddy and then slow played him this summer.  Looks like they will trap door him and have secured Jase McClellan.  Looks like he has tried to commit to UGA before and they would not accept his commitment.  He then sent his LOI and they aren’t accepting it.  Looks like aggy is his only option?  Maybe that’s why he was begging on national tv last night in hopes of one of the big schools to take him so he doesn’t end up at aggy! Haha.  Fuck this kid.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sounds like everyone's waiting to see how Bama's second signing period goes. The buzz around him from AA practices hasn't been dreadful, so he might scrape his way in: https://247sports.com/Article/Alabama-Football-Recruiting-Bama-OL-pledge-100-percent-committed--141296984/

I thought he looked improved in the state title game 

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

That's because he's going to Oregon or Georgia. Thought it would be Georgia for sure but now I'm hearing some other info.

Please tell me this isn’t another Waddles situation. I mean, it’s great that we eventually get both, but the waiting is a killer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

Some Worthless UA game observations about the QBs from that poor evaluator of talent, Mike Farrell

Haynes King really struggled and looked bad, while Robbie Ashford was also less than effective. New Oklahoma commitment Chandler Morris didn't look that great as well. I was impressed with Hudson Card at times, but I’m not sure why he didn’t get more playing time.

https://n.rivals.com/news/mind-of-mike-observations-from-the-ua-all-america-game