Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

If the staff thinks Card is a QB, I wonder if 2020 becomes a 2 QB class if Bryce Young goes elsewhere.

Yes. Card is not going to be a single qb take. That would be like Locksley all over again, but Hornsby and Card is a great qb class. 

Edited by utfan87

43 minutes ago, Schnitty3 said:

EJ is saying he is hearing some positive buzz about Hudson Card. Could be the 🤫from earlier.

Exact quote: "We are hearing some very positive buzz in regards to four-star 2020 QB/ATH Hudson Card. We put our Crystal Ball picks in a while ago but just wanted to reiterate that we feel very confident here."

25 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Exact quote: "We are hearing some very positive buzz in regards to four-star 2020 QB/ATH Hudson Card. We put our Crystal Ball picks in a while ago but just wanted to reiterate that we feel very confident here."

If Card is willing to commit as essentially an athlete take right now, that would be amazing! 

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

EJ needs to at least try to not give it away so easily. Gotta feed the crowd I guess.

I'm thinking EJ left out some revealing comments in his Mookie Cooper interview. Pretty generic quotes to base a CB pick on. 

Texas really has no excuses for not recruiting Missouri until 2017. St. Louis is a two hour direct flight from Austin and it's in the same time zone. For the sake of comparison, Austin to Lufkin is almost a 4 hour drive. Additionally, most of the top talent in Missouri is centrally located in St. Louis. To be even more exact, the best players attend St. Louis Trinity Catholic, located 15 minutes from the airport. So you only really have to recruit one high school. Even Greg Davis could handle that work load. 

Top Missouri seniors: https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MO

Top Missouri juniors: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=MO

Mookie Cooper is currently the number 1 junior in Missouri. 3 cycles too late, but Mookie could be the Dobbins we've been looking for. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

When Herman gets Texaz' OOS recruiting to click - and it appears that's happening - Texas will become a perennial jaggernaut.

Texas kids will have to come on quick or get recruited over. Down years at a position in Texas will become irrelevant.

Herman seems to be laying the foundation.  We "just" have to start winning again.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/05/open-post-wednesday-may-23rd/

– The Longhorns have extended an offer to Elite 2020 DB Bryson Washington out of Sanata Ana (CA) Mater Dei…

I have been in contact with Bryson for some time based on his expressed interest in OU so when I hit him up about the offer from Texas he quickly got back to me.

Washington is extremely happy about the offer as he said “It’s huge to get an offer from one of my top schools, it’s great!”

Mater Dei is producing some serious Big 12 recruiting battles, particularly between OU and UT, in specific, as they have both offered numerous players from the West Coast high school power. 19 Athlete Bru McCoy, ’20 QB Bryce Young, ’20 DB Darian Green-Warren, ’20 DB Elias Ricks, and now ’20 DB Washington each have serious connections to either UT or OU, and in some cases like McCoy and Young and now Washington, both OU and UT are in their top group of schools.

I asked Washington if he was planning on making a visit to Austin this summer and he said “Yes sir, I plan on visiting both Texas and OU at some point this summer.”

In the past, it has been very difficult for teams not named USC, Oregon and to some extent UCLA to pull kids out of Mater Dei. However, with Texas making a concerted effort to establish a more prominent foothold in California, and OU already having quite an extensive history of recruiting the state, the perceived struggles of the PAC 12 in terms of national recognition could play right into the hands of the Big 12 heavyweights ,and I would not be surprised to see three or four of the kids mentioned above end up in the conference. – (Charlie)

– The most recent commit (which was the latest shh) is a 2020 player. However, he may not be all the big news this week. There is a possibility Texas could be in store for more good news this week and if things go according to plan it’ll go public this week, as well.

– I meant to post this yesterday but 2020 electric WR, Mookie Cooper out of St. Louis (Trinity Catholic) tells us that he will visit Texas on June 15th and 16th for an unofficial visit. Cooper has his tickets booked. This one is confirmed.

– Also a visitor who snuck in for a visit this past weekend was 2020 defensive end, Princely Umanmielen (Manor). We’ll have more up on him, shortly. – (Super K)

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

ha! 

When Hudson Card commits, it will be as a QB not as an athlete. I don't think he minds being part of a 2 QB class.

Texas is his favorite. It wouldnt surprise me if he commits soon but I have no direct information one way or the other.

Something you've proven time and again.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

If we get Hornsby as a QB1 take and Card as a QB2/ATH, that'd be sensual

Hudson is not committing to any school as QB2/ATH. He has more than 20 offers including Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Oregon, Ole Miss, Auburn etc... All of them are for QB. For the class of '20, he is the #2 DT QB in the nation and #1 QB in Texas. He will commit to a school as QB1.

Edited by Longhorn94

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hudson is not committing to any school as QB2/ATH. He has more than 20 offers including Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Oregon, Ole Miss, Auburn etc... All of them are for QB. He will commit to a school as QB1.

You did say: "When Hudson Card commits, it will be as a QB not as an athlete. I don't think he minds being part of a 2 QB class."

He can phrase it any way in his head, but if we also get a guy like Hornsby, that's the way it'll seem. Either way, they'll settle it once they're at UT, it doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

You did say: "When Hudson Card commits, it will be as a QB not as an athlete. I don't think he minds being part of a 2 QB class."

He can phrase it any way in his head, but if we also get a guy like Hornsby, that's the way it'll seem. Either way, they'll settle it once they're at UT, it doesn't really matter.

Why? Card is ranked higher than Hornby. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have both of them. But Hudson is the higher ranked recruit. 

Edited by Longhorn94

2 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Why? Card is ranked higher than Hornby. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have both of them. But Hudson is the higher ranked recruit. 

You're right, I am a dumb - I had Hornsby as a mid-to-high four star in my head. Card does probably need to maintain or boost that ranking while playing a full season of QB to keep it, but it doesn't really matter at all. That'd still be a sick QB class.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

You're right, I am a dumb - I had Hornsby as a mid-to-high four star in my head. Card does probably need to maintain or boost that ranking while playing a full season of QB to keep it, but it doesn't really matter at all. That'd still be a sick QB class.

agreed.

And for those doubting his credentials, Hudson has started a few games for LT when Baldwin was banged up during the regular season and first playoff game and then played all but the first play of the game in the State Championship game. The kid put on a show every time he was under center. After watching him this Spring, he is going to put up monster numbers through the air and on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the top ranked recruit in Texas before its all said and done. 

4 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

This time last year, Grant Tisdale was all the rage as well. The rankings for next year's class from this year's dickfaces covering this stuff mean nothing.

As to your posting, you speak with certainty yet are repeatedly wrong, even about shit happening right in front of your face in your neighborhood. I have absolutely no doubt that the staff has told Card that they're recruiting him as a QB for the 2020 class. I have no doubt that they'll let him play there as well. That considered, don't shit yourself and bawl all over your wife's shoulder whenever they discover after his 5th practice at QB that he makes a much better fit on the WR corps. 

Until a player has taken a varsity snap at QB, they're unworthy of blind trust or as a solo bet at that position for an entire recruiting class. Card might really rev your engine, but he's an athlete dressed up as a QB until he proves otherwise, and there is no fucking way any of those schools aren't viewing this recruitment as such as well.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This time last year, Grant Tisdale was all the rage as well. The rankings for next year's class from this year's dickfaces covering this stuff mean nothing.

As to your posting, you speak with certainty yet are repeatedly wrong, even about shit happening right in front of your face in your neighborhood. I have absolutely no doubt that the staff has told Card that they're recruiting him as a QB for the 2020 class. I have no doubt that they'll let him play there as well. That considered, don't shit yourself and bawl all over your wife's shoulder whenever they discover after his 5th practice at QB that he makes a much better fit on the WR corps. 

Until a player has taken a varsity snap at QB, they're unworthy of blind trust or as a solo bet at that position for an entire recruiting class. Card might really rev your engine, but he's an athlete dressed up as a QB until he proves otherwise, and there is no fucking way any of those schools aren't viewing this recruitment as such as well.

Well then i guess you dont have a fucking clue what youre talking about as the kid has taken several varsity snaps at QB including starting regular season games, playoff games, and playing all but one snap in the fucking 6A Division I State Championship game. If youre gonna have a take, at lease educate yourself before you go embarrassing yourself in front of everyone.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

agreed.

And for those doubting his credentials, Hudson has started a few games for LT when Baldwin was banged up during the regular season and first playoff game and then played all but the first play of the game in the State Championship game. The kid put on a show every time he was under center. After watching him this Spring, he is going to put up monster numbers through the air and on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the top ranked recruit in Texas before its all said and done. 

I admire your consistency.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Hudson is not committing to any school as QB2/ATH. He has more than 20 offers including Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, Michigan, Oregon, Ole Miss, Auburn etc... All of them are for QB. For the class of '20, he is the #2 DT QB in the nation and #1 QB in Texas. He will commit to a school as QB1.

The notion that you're calling any Alabama offer legitimate, much less that the position is rock solid is absolutely laughable. 

Saban: "Sure kid, yeah, your invitation to come compete at our camp can be for QB" /snickers.

Saying all his offers are for QB is fucking stupid, as is listing out the statistics of how 24/7 ranks the kid. The composite rankings aren't even out yet, so you're taking for gospel the views of one website....that lists Roschon Johnson as like the 90th player in the state of Texas. Geeze, man. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

52 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes, he is. For starters, his Texas offer is as an athlete. And the notion that you're calling any Alabama offer legitimate, much less that the position is rock solid is absolutely laughable. 

Saban: "Sure kid, yeah, your invitation to come compete at our camp can be for QB" /snickers.

Saying all his offers are for QB is fucking stupid, as is listing out the statistics of how 24/7 ranks the kid. The composite rankings aren't even out yet, so you're taking for gospel the views of one website....that lists Roschon Johnson as like the 90th player in the state of Texas. Geeze, man. 

For starters, the offer from Texas is as a QB. So you know fuckall about his recruitment thus far. Second, my information on the status of his offer not only comes from Hudson Card's mouth but also directly from three people on Texas's staff. 

You think I dont understand what an Alabama offer means? Get the fuck out of here. I know exactly what it means. But that doesnt change the fact that Alabama came to LT's practice, watched him spin the ball, and offered him on the spot errrr invited him to come to campus to audition for Ole St Nick.

And Im not taking shit for gospel. I am just going off how they are ranked right now. But if you think a Lake Travis QB will go down in the rankings, you are mistaken. Just about all LT QBs throw for 4k yards, 40+ TDs but Card will probably also run for 1k yards. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 2

Well then i guess you dont have a fucking clue what youre talking about as the kid has taken several varsity snaps at QB including starting regular season games, playoff games, and playing all but one snap in the fucking 6A Division I State Championship game. If youre gonna have a take, at lease educate yourself before you go embarrassing yourself in front of everyone.  

Meh, you get the drift. He wasn't the QB last year. You've spent petabytes on the boards extolling the virtues of the future Ohio State back-up QB and caveating Card's output yourself. He's got a ton to prove at the QB spot and none of those schools currently have him on the board as an outright QB recruit.

Just now, closetojumping said:

Meh, you get the drift. He wasn't the QB last year. You've spent petabytes on the boards extolling the virtues of the future Ohio State back-up QB and caveating Card's output yourself. He's got a ton to prove at the QB spot and none of those schools currently have him on the board as an outright QB recruit.

I agree he still has a ton to prove at QB and have been consistent in that message throughout. But you are wrong. Those schools are all currently recruiting him as an outright QB recruit. All of them stopped in to spring practice and offered after watching him throw and going through a workout. 

For me, I would rather Texas wait and find the best QB during the season. If thats Hudson or Young or Hornsby, I dont care. I just want the best QB for Texas. But that is not how QB recruiting works as most commit before the beginning of their Jr. year for recruiting purposes.

If Hudson does commit, it makes things a lot more interesting with Wilson. 

For starters, the offer from Texas is as a QB. So you know fuckall about his recruitment thus far. Second, my information on the status of his offer not only comes from Hudson Card's mouth but also directly from three people on Texas's staff. 

You think I dont know understand what an Alabama offer means? Get the fuck out of here. I know exactly what it means. But that doesnt change the fact that Alabama came to LT's practice, watched him spin the ball, and offered him on the spot errrr invited him to come to campus to audition for Ole St Nick.

It honestly makes me sad to read your recruiting takes on LT players. I know you're a nice enough guy, and that adds to my sympathy. I have this image in my head of you being told whatever fantasies people conjure or want others to hear and there you are, taking it all in, hook, line, and sinker. Meanwhile, others are watching or standing nearby and laughing hysterically. You're the most gullible poster I've ever encountered on these boards, and that's saying something. 

Have you ever heard of the concept of "kennel blindness"? Look it up. You have it.