Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

30 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So what was the reason he was let out of his LOI anyways?

aint complaining for picking up another corner, just curious how he got out of going to Waco...

Committed when Rhule was still the coach, whole new staff comes in after Rhule dips, they allow him to get out of his LOI because he committed to a different hc/staff

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Ever since you got burned by hyping up your all time favorite prospect ever, JP Urquidez, you have a much more cynical eye.

;)

Ha. Lets not forget that while he refuses to be pinned down about it, he also has tacitly admitted that he thinks Hudson Card is trash. As long as we're keeping track. 

Then again I once threw a fit we hadn't offered Branard Wright. Just so we're all being accountable here. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ha. Lets not forget that while he refuses to be pinned down about it, he also has tacitly admitted that he thinks Hudson Card is trash. As long as we're keeping track. 

Then again I once threw a fit we hadn't offered Branard Wright. Just so we're all being accountable here. 

Wut? I haven't offered a single opinion about Hudson Card that I can recall. I have only seen him play on TV. I saw JPU play dozens of games, hence my knowledge of his suckitude.

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Wut? I haven't offered a single opinion about Hudson Card that I can recall. I have only seen him play on TV. I saw JPU play dozens of games, hence my knowledge of his suckitude.

Lol. Dude, you and I went 'round on this topic sometime last spring or summer. The end result was you basically repeating "I refuse to say anything bad about a longhorn recruit" and then edited your last comment on the subject. It started as a conversation about that hillbilly Haynes King and how he'd get murdered in our offense, and I pointed out he was approximately the same size as Card. You then went out of your way to say you think Card is a bad take for us without expressly saying it. 

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Dude, you and I went 'round on this topic sometime last spring or summer. The end result was you basically repeating "I refuse to say anything bad about a longhorn recruit" and then edited your last comment on the subject. It started as a conversation about that hillbilly Haynes King and how he'd get murdered in our offense, and I pointed out he was approximately the same size as Card. You then went out of your way to say you think Card is a bad take for us without expressly saying it. 

I honestly don't remember that, but OK. I have definitely watched King play several times.

50 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I honestly don't remember that, but OK. I have definitely watched King play several times.

I mean, you can feel free to tell me I’m flat out wrong and you think Hudson Card is a great fit for this offense and is going to be the next great QB at UT...

10 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

You obviously think it’s a lot bigger deal than I do. Mmm Kay. 

Lol. Another non-answer. 

The only thing I find odd is your refusal to give your opinion on him as a prospect. This is a message board for fans, we offer opinions on things all the time. Shit, futureman aside, there's plenty of folks on here dubious about Card and say as much. I'm not sold on him, I hope JQJ gets a legit shot. CTJ thinks he has deadpool-esque baby-hands. But your obstinate refusal to say anything other than No Comment on a sports message board is hilarious and odd to me. It's not like you're unwilling to give your opinions on prospects in unflinching analysis in other situations. So whats the story? Some Mack Brown level "Don't question the corches when we offer Taylor Doyle after wheeling him around campus" shit?

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Maybe we should wait until Hudson Card actually plays at Texas before adding “You didn’t believe in the future All-Pro destiny of Hudson Card!” to the list of heresies one can commit on Longhorn message boards.  

In fact, with our track record, I’d feel a lot more comfortable if the conventional wisdom were “Hudson Card seems like he sucks.”

Yeah man, that wasn't the point at all. No one was going down that path at all except you. See above. 

Covid-19 social distancing crap is getting old, and Surly's concerns, doubts & disappointments regarding Texas recruits/players/coaches are sometimes too much of a beating...

1) Besides Bijan and the QB's, what 2020 Class players have Surly folks hyped for the future and why?

2) Who/where do yah predict some of the 2020 Class will play and add value for the Horns 2020 football season?

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Covid-19 social distancing crap is getting old, and Surly's concerns, doubts & disappointments regarding Texas recruits/players/coaches are sometimes too much of a beating...

1) Besides Bijan and the QB's, what 2020 Class players have Surly folks hyped for the future and why?

2) Who/where do yah predict some of the 2020 Class will play and add value for the Horns 2020 football season?

For me it's the DL, Collins, Broughton, Welch and Dorbah.  I believe that all of these kids will be day 1 and 2 draft picks when it's all said and done.  beautiful part is that we probably only get to see them in garbage time in 2020.. No need to throw them in there unless they are that much better than what we have now.

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lol. Another non-answer. 

The only thing I find odd is your refusal to give your opinion on him as a prospect. This is a message board for fans, we offer opinions on things all the time. Shit, futureman aside, there's plenty of folks on here dubious about Card and say as much. I'm not sold on him, I hope JQJ gets a legit shot. CTJ thinks he has deadpool-esque baby-hands. But your obstinate refusal to say anything other than No Comment on a sports message board is hilarious and odd to me.

As I said, it obviously matters more to you than it does to me.

I don't have a firm opinion on him right now. At the end of the season, I might have, but it's been a long time since I have watched him play. He and JQJ are both interesting guys with a lot of talent. Both could see the field a lot, but most likely only one as a QB. I am fine with letting it play out. When I have a strong opinion, I have no problem putting it out there. I don't always have a strong opinion.

If Texas Football over the last decade has taught me any one thing, it's don't always trust your eyes. In other words: we've turned a lot of chicken salad into chicken shit.

Edited by Tex Pete

21 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

For me it's the DL, Collins, Broughton, Welch and Dorbah.  I believe that all of these kids will be day 1 and 2 draft picks when it's all said and done.  beautiful part is that we probably only get to see them in garbage time in 2020.. No need to throw them in there unless they are that much better than what we have now.

this is the first time i've seen anyone say that about Welch...what brought that on?

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Kitan Crawford. Alfred Collins.  

NFL measureables with huge athletic upside. They are both already good football players but with lots to learn, so they are nowhere near topping out. Avoiding injury will be the only thing that stands between either of them and long NFL careers. 

There are other guys that I am hyped to see and still have high expectations for, just slightly more reserved -- Karic, Alford, Parr, Garth, and Barron all fit there. I'm admit that I'm also excited to see Dixon, Ford, Dorbah, and Hullaby but have lower expectations because they are going to have to find good positional fits and will need the coaching staff to be clearly better than their predecessors. 

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Has to be Collins IMO. He’s an absolute stud, and his ceiling is being a top 5 pick in the draft. He’s an absolute freak, but he’s still so raw. Bastrop’s program isn’t great so UT’s strength program and improving his technique will do wonders for him. 

My second choice is Crawford. He probably needs a RS, but he’s got everything you’d want in a corner. He’s got a solid frame that can easily hold 200 lbs, elite long speed, and great explosiveness and agility. He also seems to have the necessary mentality to succeed. I think he can be a lockdown CB by the time he leaves campus. 

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I like the optimism, but Welch is more of a depth guy/maybe starts by his 4th or 5th year. He’d have to undergo a drastic change to get anywhere near Day 2.

Broughton has the physical tools, but he plays way too soft and takes too many plays off.  He’s way too finesse right now. Hopefully Yancy can start making that change. If the light goes on, then he can absolutely be a first rounder. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My second choice is Crawford. He probably needs a RS, but he’s got everything you’d want in a corner. He’s got a solid frame that can easily hold 200 lbs, elite long speed, and great explosiveness and agility. He also seems to have the necessary mentality to succeed. I think he can be a lockdown CB by the time he leaves campus. 

This is not to disagree with you, but Crawford feels like an ideal candidate for nickel corner to me. Long, smart, and physical with ball skills and recovery speed. 

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is not to disagree with you, but Crawford feels like an ideal candidate for nickel corner to me. Long, smart, and physical with ball skills and recovery speed. 

Yeah, he’s got the build to hold up at nickel and could make more plays on the ball there. It’ll probably depend on who we else we have at outside CB and nickel. My guess is the need will be greater at outside CB, but we’ll see. 

Thanks for the responses on outlook for 2020 Class folks other than Bijan/QBs.  Really interested to see 2020 DL players in particular.  Not having the entire summer to work with the 2020 guys will make it even tougher for them to earn much playing time this season.  Hope this new staff does a much better job developing both the starters and their backups...

Quick reminder of the 2020 Early Enrollees (8)

•  Xavion Alford                 Safety
  • Vernon Broughton          DT
  • Hudson Card                   Dual
  • Sawyer Goram-Welch     DT
  • Jake Majors                     Center
  • Troy Omeire                      WR
  • Logan Parr                        OG
  • Jerrin Thompson             Safety

Signed Letter of Intent (11)

• Alfred Collins.                        SDE
  • Kitan Crawford                       CB
  • Kelvontay Dixon.                    ATH
  • Prince Dorbah.                       OLB
  • Jaylan Ford                             OLB
  • Jaylen Garth.                          OT
  • Dajon Harrison                       WR
  • Jaden Hullaby                         ATH
  • Ja'Quinden Jackson              Dual
  • Andrej Karic.                            OT
  • Bijan Robinson.                       RB

Hard Commits (1)

• Jahdae Barron.                        CB

Transfers (1)

• Tarik Black                                WR

9 hours ago, cochamps said:

Ja’Quinden.  If he can be developed anywhere near like Sam has been, he will be special.  Will take some time, but he has a very high ceiling, imo.

https://utdonors.thefootballbrainiacs.com/qb-signee-jaquinden-jackson-showcases-knee-rehab/

JQJ is going to win the QB competition after Sam leaves. His upside is just too big to deny

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Don’t Sleep on Card at Receiver either.

I don’t see it. Not because he can’t play it, but he got more than enough accolades at QB in HS, and knowing he’s probably not an NFL WR with his body type, dude will transfer to play QB elsewhere if he doesn’t win the job, or wins it and loses later. JQJ probably needs time to develop, and Card will be ready sooner. It’s going to be a difficult dynamic between Card, JQJ, and Millie logjammed together. Which is why we need Ewers.  JQJ might just get moved to LB as well by year 2. 

• Like 2