Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Skates. If he’s going to compete for the gig next year, he’ll need an über productive yancy season

To be fair, I think that facing Sweat in practice will be tougher than any of the guys he will face in games (we have finally made it back to that point with the OL/DL) but he clearly was going to need a RS year all along and will need to live in Yancey’s shadow for the next 2 years (hopefully) before he has to play meaningful minutes. 

Sweat is going to put a lot of guys on skates. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Tarik Black starting

Some interesting things:

- Karic at backup LT

- Majors at backup C

- Jones at RT and Okafor at RG 

- Leitao, Bush and Jaquess all at backup (ORs)

- Green, Cook, Foster all at backup

- Overshown (WLB) and Adimora (Spur) starters

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Tarik Black starting

Maybe a question that's unfit for the recruiting board but I wonder what that means for Eagles. Thought that they were running him with the 2s as a kick-in-the-pants kinda thing but guess that didn't work. Figured he would've bought in this season since he was a big fan of Coleman.

30 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Maybe a question that's unfit for the recruiting board but I wonder what that means for Eagles. Thought that they were running him with the 2s as a kick-in-the-pants kinda thing but guess that didn't work. Figured he would've bought in this season since he was a big fan of Coleman.

It means he’s being outworked by a hungry and focused graduate transfer.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Some interesting things:

- Karic at backup LT

- Majors at backup C

- Jones at RT and Okafor at RG 

- Leitao, Bush and Jaquess all at backup (ORs)

- Green, Cook, Foster all at backup

- Overshown (WLB) and Adimora (Spur) starters

Karic isn't really the backup. He's probably 8th or 9th.

Same with Majors

Not sure how to feel about two walk-ons and Leitao on the 2 deep

Where's Washington? Injured? I love me some Woodard, but a surprise nonetheless.

Sad that Eagles hasn't pulled his shit together. Maybe he still can. 

Note from IT: If Adimora goes down, BJ Foster might well be the first backup in, not Cook

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Karic isn't really the backup. He's probably 8th or 9th.

Yeah, you’d have Okafor move to tackle first and the. Probably Reese Moore or maybe even Hookfin/Tyler Johnson.

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Note from IT: If Adimora goes down, BJ Foster might well be the first backup in, not Cook

I’d certainly hope so. Even though Foster isn’t technically starting I expect to see him on the field a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Team LB. That's our best chance to keep his talents on campus. 

He may end up there, but I think you have to keep him at QB for now. If Card beats out Thompson next year, Thompson likely bolts and we’ll need JJ as our backup QB. If Thompson wins out or sticks for another year, then they can consider moving JJ to LB. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He may end up there, but I think you have to keep him at QB for now. If Card beats out Thompson next year, Thompson likely bolts and we’ll need JJ as our backup QB. If Thompson wins out or sticks for another year, then they can consider moving JJ to LB. 

Oh, I agree he needs to stay at QB for now. I just think the best chances of him seeing the field regularly for UT will be at LB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

Then he’ll just have to get real good at intercepting passes from the LB position...

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Team LB. That's our best chance to keep his talents on campus. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

tenor.gif?itemid=4790188

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, IDIOTsavant said:

I still think he could be a damn good QB in time and understand the idea of switching him to LB, but I think we should also consider him as a rich man's version of the role we had in mind for Michael Henderson when we recruited him.

username checks out.

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I agree he needs to stay at QB for now. I just think the best chances of him seeing the field regularly for UT will be at LB. 

Probably, but he has suck a high variance at QB, I’d like to give him a couple years there to see if he can put it all together, because if he can, he’d be a dominant force in college football. And if not, then we have the best QB prospect in years ready to go. Gotta give Herman some serious credit for his QB recruiting so far. It wasn’t that long ago that we were deciding between Swoopes and true freshman Beuchele.

200.gif 

13 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Goodman seems to be on team JQJ to SMU

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Probably, but he has suck a high variance at QB, I’d like to give him a couple years there to see if he can put it all together, because if he can, he’d be a dominant force in college football. And if not, then we have the best QB prospect in years ready to go. Gotta give Herman some serious credit for his QB recruiting so far. It wasn’t that long ago that we were deciding between Swoopes and true freshman Beuchele.

200.gif 

Well, Squeegeedegg nailed it. I like JQJ as a QB. I don't mind giving him a couple years. The problem is Herman's QB recruiting, so you nailed my skepticism Macklin. It's extremely unlikely after a couple years of development that JQJ is beating out Card who has probably already taken snaps at QB in games. Maybe even started a year. But we're to expect he's beating him out, and then keeping Ewers on the bench as well? For Years? Or he sees that QB room and justifiably transfers somewhere to play QB. 

I'm a huge fan of JQJ as a QB. I'm just a much larger fan of him as a player wearing a Texas uniform and contributing on the field. Herman's QB recruiting makes this the most unlikely possibility. 

• Hook 'Em 2