Clutch your pearls y'all. Little Mermaid is black

Gil Bang

SWEATERGAWD I don't care!

This one and the Lion King remake both have the scent of fail. Live action of animation doesn't exactly have a great track record. 

If there is one that made the same coin as the cartoon I don't remember it. 

I don't recall an uproar about The Wiz.

If they want to cast her as black I could not possibly give less of a shit. 

38 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

This one and the Lion King remake both have the scent of fail. Live action of animation doesn't exactly have a great track record. 

Lion King should fail, but it will at least break even because Disney just doesn't fail anymore. Nobody wants to see photorealistic animals talking. It's creepy. 

The live action Little Mermaid will bank though. Just like Beauty and the Beast did.  Live action Aladdin, to little fanfare, has already made nearly a billion dollars.  Live Action Frozen when it comes out will break all records even if they decide to change Elsa and Anna to Latina transgenders. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

46 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Sarcasm?

10 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sarcasm?

He's probably thinking of the crap live action movies Hollywood puts out that are based on anime. Those never do justice to the originals. They still probably beat the original box office though. 

Live action Beauty and the Beast made 1.25 billion dollars. Disney knows what they are doing with everything except Star Wars. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

5 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

He's probably thinking of the crap live action movies Hollywood puts out that are based on anime. Those never do justice to the originals. They still probably beat the original box office though. 

Live action Beauty and the Beast made 1.25 billion dollars. Disney knows what they are doing with everything except Star Wars. 

Got it, just confused.  The Jungle Book did 966 million.  Alice did well over a Billion dollars.  Aladdin with 923 million worldwide.  Dumbo didn't do as well though.  

20 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Sarcasm?

10 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

The Last Airbender was awful. Hey, if it makes money that's great. I don't get it, but I'm not a preteen girl. I saw the trailer for the new Lion King this weekend. It did not make me want to go see it, but again I'm not the target audience. Honestly, I don't care if Ariel is black, white, brown, or plaid. If it irks some people that she is that's their problem. It's been all over my Twitter feed the last two days and I'm tired of it. 

Edit: ok, so they are probably going to make money on it and do it again to some other animated movies. Shrug. To each his or her own 

Edited by cactusflinthead
Extra helping of crow

6 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Edit: ok, so they are probably going to make money on it and do it again to some other animated movies. Shrug. To each his or her own 

Dude, I’d be willing to place just about any amount of money this Lion King will easily clear $1.25 BILLION and score over 85-90% on RottenTomatoes.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

My only thought was that Halle Berry was way too old for the role.  Turns out I am totally out of the loop. 

They can cast Halle  Berry in any gotdamn role they want....Grace Kelly, Teddy Roosevelt, C3PO....dont matter to me.

• Like 2

Lulz at danish culture being appropriated. I’d agree more if the Disney version was more like the original but since it is disneyfied and American as fuck, I’m leaning towards not so much. And since American culture is multicultural and getting more so with every interracial marriage or immigrant that arrives, I see no problem with a black Ariel. Or a black bond, albeit that is for another thread and British. 

1 hour ago, Chet Steadman said:

Dude, I’d be willing to place just about any amount of money this Lion King will easily clear $1.25 BILLION and score over 85-90% on RottenTomatoes.  

They’ll make that much off the Bey Hive crowd alone 

10 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Live Action Frozen when it comes out will break all records even if they decide to change Elsa and Anna to Latina transgenders. 

If they fuck up the casting Anna, I’m going to cut somebody.  

Idgaf if the new mermaid is black, but they should have at least gotten someone more attractive. 

• Like 1

Idgaf that the NFL MVP was a (black) QB last season. 

Idgaf that the lil Mermaid might be black.  Spin a good tale and let it rip.  Daryl Hannah stunk up the ocean enough already...

10 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Serious question. Where is the outrage? Seems like something Disney would create buzz.

Or is this faux twitter outrage?

I thought this as well, then I took a peek at texags.... 

It's art. The director can tell the story how they'd like. The audience can choose to support or not. That is beauty of the free market. If the casting of an African-American to play Ariel deeply bothers you then don't go. If you don't care about or support the casting then go.

• Like 1