Toddler Falls Out of Cruise Ship Window

MrBig

Initial reports said the grandfather lost his grip while holding the baby outside of the window. Then the family hired an attorney who said he placed the baby on a railing inside the ship to bang on the glass. 

6 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Initial reports said the grandfather lost his grip while holding the baby outside of the window. Then the family hired an attorney who said he placed the baby on a railing inside the ship to bang on the glass. 

Yup. Careless grandpa dropped his granddaughter to her death. Now they're trying to cover for him. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

There really should be leash laws for children then tragesies such as this could be avoided.

I seriously thought that when we recently stopped at Horseshoe Bend in AZ. There were families hovering the edge like ants and with kids, like toddlers, wandering around. Shit made me nervous - so we took our look, clicked a couple of quick photos and got back on the road to Utah.
It was like the South Rim of the GC, but much more crowded in a very small area, I still think it is only a matter of time before it makes the news. 

I feel horrible for the family, but why in the heck are you putting a kid 11 stories up next to the window; and why aren't there stickers on the windows that state that the windows open.

38 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I'm sure the finest of Miami  Trial Lawyers dropped what they were doing and jumped on their private jets to PR.    Cruise ship mishaps to them is like an oil refinery mishap for Texas Trial Lawyers.  

or "like a woman with tobacco leaking out of her silicone breast implants". Jimmy James, so nice they named him twice.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I always struggle on whether I think someone should face criminal prosecution for unintentional deaths of a child at the hands of a family member.  I want to think that the person is punishing themselves more than a court could ever do, but sometimes they still need to be punished by society for the careless death of a person.    

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I always struggle on whether I think someone should face criminal prosecution for unintentional deaths of a child at the hands of a family member.  I want to think that the person is punishing themselves more than a court could ever do, but sometimes they still need to be punished by society for the careless death of a person.    

this issue heats up every time i hear about a parent leaving a child in a locked car.  i'm sure the parent is mortally scarred for the rest of his/her life, why put him/her through ordeal of re-playing every step by charging and prosecuting the parent?

accidents happen.  sometimes there is not a need for blame or justice.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

It sounds like they were on the pool deck.  Those areas have rails and windows but the windows are only open above about waist height.  

from the family's story, it sounds like there were windows except for the one missing pane where gramps set down the baby.

6 hours ago, crash_davis said:

this issue heats up every time i hear about a parent leaving a child in a locked car.  i'm sure the parent is mortally scarred for the rest of his/her life, why put him/her through ordeal of re-playing every step by charging and prosecuting the parent?

accidents happen.  sometimes there is not a need for blame or justice.

what if the mom leaves a handicapped child in the bathtub unattended to go watch soap operas? asking for a friend.

• Like 1

I was going to make an eric clapton tears from heaven joke but fuck that.  They should withdraw their suit and the grandpa should take a header out of same window. 

Edited by deft
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, deft said:

I was going to make an eric clapton tears from heaven joke but fuck that.  They should withdraw their suit and the grandpa should take a header out of same window. 

The family got a powerful cruise ship chasing lawyer who knows how to spin this in the family’s favor.

14 hours ago, LonghornJones said:

I can't imagine how that grandfather feels. I hope he wasn't drunk.

I really hate these stories and hope to never have to go through something like this.

Man, I heard about this.  Just terrible.  Poor kid.  

From that video above, open or closed window, that kid's not going over with out being held up.  Maybe I've got the scenario wrong.  I'm sure the grandfather feels just terrible, but his actions seemed 100% to blame for the poor little guy's death.  I can't even imagine.  I think I'd off myself if I were responsible for that.  

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:00 AM, MrBig said:

Yeah, the story has evolved.

1. Grandpa held baby out a window, dropped the kid. (grandpa's fault)

2. Kid was next to a window and, gasp, fell out.  (still grandpa's fault)

3. They were in a play area with partial windows, grandpa relied/thought they were in a part where the windows were not incomplete. (grandpa is still a dumbass)

4. Who knows what the story is now. 

5. Bottom line, grandpa may have been under the influence of something. How this is the cruise ship's fault is beyond me. 

The grandpa killed his grandchild, end of story. Accident? Maybe. But he killed her. 

1 minute ago, BurntEyes said:

So you believe all neglegent behavior resulting in death should be given a pass as an accident.

Wow!

That's a free pass for, "I didnt know the gun was loaded" or "I didn't think I was drunk" or "We didn't know these bombs were live" or "We didn't know the chemicals would kill them".

Wow. Seriously, what a fucking horrible take.

No, it's a good take. Yours is fucking terrible.

• Like 3

Just now, BurntEyes said:

So you believe all neglegent behavior resulting in death should be given a pass as an accident.

Wow!

That's a free pass for, "I didnt know the gun was loaded" or "I didn't think I was drunk" or "We didn't know these bombs were live" or "We didn't know the chemicals would kill them".

Wow. Seriously, what a fucking horrible take.

if that's what you got from my post then your world view is pretty damned binary.  how old are you, 11?

13 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Watching the tour video confirmed I don't want to take a cruise.

Someone told me cruises are like being locked inside a Shoney's with drunks.

Me, I was thinking about going on half of one. Back when they were almost giving away tickets, my plan was to grab one in New Orleans, ride down to Progreso, then get off and never get back on, stay in Mexico as long as I felt like it, then get back to the US my own way, bus plane whatever. I called the cruise office and proposed my little scheme. There were lots of pauses in the conversation as they took it all in.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

your damn right i think if a parent makes a honest mistake and leaves a child in the car, then yea nothing should come from it.  it's about intent and the level of negligence.  not everything is fucking black and white.  

do you have any kids?  if you don't then shut the fuck up.  if you do, ever make any mistakes with those kids?  you're a lying sumbitch of you said no.  you've never accidentally hurt the kid, dropped him while holding/juggling too many stuff, took your eye of your toddler and hear him screaming for falling or getting hurt, get in a argument with your wife that morning, running late, had a conference call in the car on your way to work and forget to drop off your child, hurried your ass into the office because you were late, etc?  life with kids, especially enfants and toddlers, can be fucking hectic.  accidents fucking happen.  sometimes there's no need to punish someone for an honest mistake.

re this situation, gramps could've accidentally placed the kid next to an open window thinking it was shut or there was a window.  or he could've been drunk.  who the fuck knows.  i would hope you have the intelligence to discern malice and neglect verse a pure accident.

• Like 1