Toddler Falls Out of Cruise Ship Window

MrBig

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Apparently Chloe was a bad fan, banging glass and doing the wave

https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/be-a-better-hockey-fan-101-hands-off-the-glass-and-quit-it-with-the-wave

Honestly who the fuck bangs on glass at a youth hockey game?  

People who need an excuse for dropping their kids out of a cruise ship window.

The hockey glass excuse seems pretty flimsy when you consider the glass on the ship was floor to ceiling. 

So why lift her up on the railing when she can just bang on the panel that can’t be opened on the bottom? 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

This whole thing seems a little like a concocted lie right now.  Somebody has a cell phone video I'll bet.

i'm positive there a ships camera that caught it. All the common areas should be well covered.

If they knew she liked to bang on the glass, wouldn't you (as a normal, caring, parent) take precaution to prevent her doing it 150 ft in the air?

5 hours ago, HookEm said:

Who encourages their child to bang on things in a public common area?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You get out much in public?

You can't tell a kid no anymore...and if you do, the parent wets their pants on the spot.

19 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

When I show up downstairs in the clown suit, they'll fly up those stairs with uncommon speed.

This thread is extremely tragic, but this caused a few people to turn there heads and wonder why I was trying my hardest to keep my shit together.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 2:47 PM, BurntEyes said:

Tell me where you want to draw the line between an "accident" and behavior that while never with any intent, ends in death.

Getting behind the wheel while drunk and running into someone on accident and killing them?

- That is basically what you are defending in this specific circumstance BTW. Grandpa was drunk and didn't mean to drop the child. 

Forgetting to feed your child?

Forgetting to feed your disabled parent or sibling?

Forgetting to feed a dog?

Not realizing a gun was loaded while you were cleaning it and your child was in the room?

Not being aware that driving 60 in a school zone is bad and not seeing a child?

I could go on all day with neglect or choices made that never intended any harm, and end in death.

So tell me where your line is and why drunk grandpa gets a pass and Chad driving home from the bar doesn't.

The thing is the acknowledgement that in most of these cases death or serious harm was never intended.  That makes the line difficult to draw, indeed.

Whereas most of Surly is "someone died!!!111!!!!" QED death penalty.  And while that's surly hyperbole (and mine), to a degree, that tends to be the reaction of the American public, generally.

Tort lawyers (mostly defense) have a saying that no amount of harm/damages is a substitute for proof of liability.  That's kind of applicable here.  Start with the level of culpability, not with the outcome.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Not that I nessecarily believe their/this version of the facts, but this is a couple that took a 2 year old and their father on a cruise.

They don't have the best decision making skills and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Just a hundred feet or so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Um.. you have a 18 month old child.

Rather than have grandpa, who we know at least likes to hold the child near windows, baby sit for the cruise you have him and the child join.

It's fucking illogical as fuck. Maybe a bit of alone time for husband and wife to relax? Or maybe having an 18 month old around is relaxing and gets your sexy time juices flowing.

Listen everybody.  No more vacations unless they're the ones Burnt eyes likes Okay ??  Wow brah, didn't know you were the vacation Tsar.  

We went on lots of family vacations with the FIL, and our toddler kids. They were always great. I'll be doing those same kinds of vacations with our daughter, and son one day soon.

I've done the extended family vacation with a two year old.  Ideally you have grandparents watch the kids and you and the Mrs can vacation kid free, but if both sets of grandparents are full time workers that's not an option.  We've done it where we all vacation together so at least you can get some babysitting options during the vacation.  I imagine that's SOP for most family friendly vacation spots like cruises and resorts.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

11 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You are on the oddest tangent lately.

I believe you missed the nature of my post.

No I am just pleased that you consider culpability at least somewhat separate from the outcome.  Most like to work backward from the outcome.

We have a bit of a habit in this country of engaging in the following thought pattern:  Oh, that's horrible, someone's gotta pay.  That's at least partially how tort verdicts get outrageous in some instances, and why we have incarceration nation.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 12:42 PM, RDCanecutter said:

Someone told me cruises are like being locked inside a Shoney's with drunks.

Me, I was thinking about going on half of one. Back when they were almost giving away tickets, my plan was to grab one in New Orleans, ride down to Progreso, then get off and never get back on, stay in Mexico as long as I felt like it, then get back to the US my own way, bus plane whatever. I called the cruise office and proposed my little scheme. There were lots of pauses in the conversation as they took it all in.

Doesn't dissipate what I imagine to be the RDC vibe...

702kw6jmgof21.jpg

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Rather than have grandpa, who we know at least likes to hold the child near windows, baby sit for the cruise you have him and the child join.

It's fucking illogical as fuck. Maybe a bit of alone time for husband and wife to relax? Or maybe having an 18 month old around is relaxing and gets your sexy time juices flowing.

That's your opinion.  I've done cruises with little kids and it isn't ideal but with extended family it makes it a lot easier.  Going on any vacation with kids isn't sexy time and that's known going into it.  

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

That's your opinion.  I've done cruises with little kids and it isn't ideal but with extended family it makes it a lot easier.  Going on any vacation with kids isn't sexy time and that's known going into it.  

Extended family shouldn’t extend babies out of a window. 

• Like 4

“Honey, did you hear a thud”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, MrBig said:

State of Indiana Case Records for Gramps

5 Seat Belt Violations & 2 Excessive Speeding Violations since 1996. 

Not exactly a model of safety here. Shocked there were no DUIs or Vehicular Manslaughters.

He's from the no seat belt generation. The speeding ?   I used to get one every couple years.

Those don't that have much to do with how careful you are with your kids IMO.  Even today when we go to the beach, and our grown kids go in for a swim I watch them every second just like I did when they were actually little kids.  

Grandpa fucked up royally though. I bet he'd had a bon voyage drink our two.

52 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He's from the no seat belt generation. The speeding ?   I used to get one every couple years.

Those don't that have much to do with how careful you are with your kids IMO.  Even today when we go to the beach, and our grown kids go in for a swim I watch them every second just like I did when they were actually little kids.  

Grandpa fucked up royally though. I bet he'd had a bon voyage drink our two.

My grandfather was also from the “no seatbelt” generation and was very dismissive about wearing them.

I know it’s like comparing apples to oranges, but this hits close to home for me because I’ve experienced an accident that was extremely preventable. 

When I was six, we were in a car accident because my grandfather was speeding, and my sister was killed after she was ejected from the window because she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

These two incidents are completely unrelated, but it still makes me so angry that an adult can be so stupid and careless when it comes to the safety of children. 

15 minutes ago, MrBig said:

My grandfather was also from the “no seatbelt” generation and was very dismissive about wearing them.

I know it’s like comparing apples to oranges, but this hits close to home for me because I’ve experienced an accident that was extremely preventable. 

When I was six, we were in a car accident because my grandfather was speeding, and my sister was killed after she was ejected from the window because she wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

These two incidents are completely unrelated, but it still makes me so angry that an adult can be so stupid and careless when it comes to the safety of children. 

You're preaching to the choir.  My younger brother was in Iowa for a wrestling camp back in HS. His buds who I knew pretty well were out partying one night, and had a very bad wreck.

2 of his buds were ejected from the car, and both died that night. The guys with seat belts on had injuries, but all lived, and stayed inside the car.  My brother would have been in that car more than likely, and not wearing a seat belt.

He, and I have both worn seatbelts since that day, and that includes cabs, Ubers, vans on the way to vacation spots from airports, any vehicle with a seat belt, and I'm wearing it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0