Toddler Falls Out of Cruise Ship Window

MrBig

On 12/19/2019 at 11:03 PM, TwiceHorn said:

JFC.  The point was that RPM and Dennis Taylor know what happened and the family shouldn't sue.

I can see with my own eyes. Or as Forrest's Momma always said, "Stupid is as stupid does."

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Let's not forget that grandpa isn't the only one full of shit here

Anello's attorney, José G. Pérez Ortiz, told The Indianapolis Star in November that surveillance video of the incident is consistent with the grandfather's assertion that he believed the window was closed

What the fuck do you expect his attorney to say?

Oh, well, we looked at the video, and my client is guilty as shit, so I'm withdrawing from the case.

JFC.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What the fuck do you expect his attorney to say?

Oh, well, we looked at the video, and my client is guilty as shit, so I'm withdrawing from the case.

JFC.

That would be the truth, so I guess that would be out of character.

The Uncle Leo defense would be the only plausible plea in his criminal case but the suit again the cruise line is frivolous as hell, and I hope it's thrown out 

25 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Let's not forget that grandpa isn't the only one full of shit here

Anello's attorney, José G. Pérez Ortiz, told The Indianapolis Star in November that surveillance video of the incident is consistent with the grandfather's assertion that he believed the window was closed

what am I missing?  of course he believed the window was closed.  do people think he murdered the child?

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

what am I missing?  of course he believed the window was closed.  do people think he murdered the child?

Did you watch the video? He leaned his head out of the obviously open window literally right before he picked up the baby. He didn't murder her. But he was negligent 

5 minutes ago, futureman said:

That video doesn't prove a goddamn thing.  It's blurry as shit and you can't see what grandpa did once the child passes over the rail.

Now, you can speculate that grandpa fucked the dog or threw the kid out the window, and, as educated as that guess might be, it's still a guess.

1 minute ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Did you watch the video? He leaned his head out of the obviously open window literally right before he picked up the baby. He didn't murder her. But he was negligent 

And, depending on the law of the jurisdiction, his negligence may foreclose recovery from the cruise line.  Or not.

I might entirely agree that the family shouldn't file suit for a bunch of non-legal reasons.

But you can't say that lawsuit is frivolous from anything that we know.

I’m not sure what the lawsuit is asserting, but it’s pretty obvious from the video that the grandfather knew the window was open, and decided to hold the child out the open window. And we know that the child fell to her death. 
so we know that it’s untrue that the grandfather thought he was putting her up against a window. 

Saw still shot and just now watched the video. Although poor quality it looks like he leans way out the window. If he truly believed there was a window there he wouldn’t have leaned so far forward and should have realized the window was open when he didn’t hit his forehead as most of his torso was beyond the window frame.

Again poor quality video but is also looks like he literally picked up the toddler and hoisted her straight out the window in one motion. It did not appear that he was standing straight up and she lunges forward.

I’m not at all saying that he intended to kill her. Whether alcohol was involved or he had an Uncle Leo moment, it does not appear from that video that he believe there was glass in front of him.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think all of you that assume that he knew the window was open are assuming the window is vertically right up against the rail.  It's not.  As you can see from the still photos above, it's angled outwardly from the rail and the floor.  It's difficult to tell how far, exactly, but far enough that leaning on the rail =/= leaning out the window, necessarily.  There is certainly some space there that would permit some degree of leaning over the rail without sticking any part of your body out the window.

There is also a vertical pole right in front of him that skews the perspective.

It strikes me as a kind oddball design, particularly for an area that has windows that can be opened.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

You serious, Clark?

yeah.  it was a drive-by post.  I haven’t followed the thread too closely.  based on what I’ve read elsewhere it just seems like he thought there was a window there and was probably a little buzzed and dropped his granddaughter out of a window.  just horrible.  why would someone argue that he knew there was no window?  to suggest he may have intentionally done it?

1 minute ago, futureman said:

yeah.  it was a drive-by post.  I haven’t followed the thread too closely.  based on what I’ve read elsewhere it just seems like he thought there was a window there and was probably a little buzzed and dropped his granddaughter out of a window.  just horrible.  why would someone argue that he knew there was no window?  to suggest he may have intentionally done it?

Have you watched the video?

1 minute ago, immortal13 said:

Have you watched the video?

yeah and you can’t tell shit from that video.  and anyway looking out an open window while buzzed does not preclude one from incorrectly assuming a window is there.  if he were aware there was no window I think he probably wouldn’t have thrown the girl up there.  I still think he should get whatever is coming to him and put nothing on the cruise line.  

Sorry, I don't follow the story closely, but the family's lawsuits alleges that the cruise line is negligent for not having signs right?  A sign that says "Be careful.  Windows may sometimes be open" could have been placed every 20 feet on a post or on the frame between windows.  It can't be on the window because the window is open.  It's not going to be next to every window.  Such a sign is only to limit liability, not because anyone really needs it.  There would only be a handful on each side likely.

So...the guy who leans into what he thinks is an outwardly slanted window, to where he would literally be within inches of the glass, if such glass were there... doesn't notice wind blasting him in the face, doesn't notice sounds from the dock below, doesn't notice lack of discoloration/tinting/aberration of images/reflection/spots on the glass or any of the other things that tell us we are within inches of a pane of glass...the guy who is negligent/oblivious/stupid enough to make the horrific mistake no one to my knowledge has ever made before in the history of the world (in a similar scenario) ...... that guy would definitely NOT have made that mistake if there were a sign warning him to "be careful" 20 feet away???

GTFO

Looking at that video, the only thing that would make anyone not say "yup, that's murder" is he's getting the benefit of the doubt.  That a grandpa would NEVER do that to his grandchild.  

Sorry again, but has it been decided that he won't face any criminal investigation?  If that's still on the table, it's time to starting doing his best Uncle Leo impression and telling everyone how bad is cataracts have gotten.   

Edited by Lhorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Didn't see that this had been updated.  Grandpa changes his story.  Surely at the threat of legal implications, but seems like the right outcome.  Pretending that it was purely on the cruise line was asinine.  While trying to cast blame elsewhere was beyond fucked up, I have nothing but sympathy for this guy.  It's got to a horrific thing to carry on your soul.  Seeing that cute little girl is heartbreaking.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/grandfather-toddler-who-died-falling-cruise-ship-plead-guilty-her-n1142981?cid=referral_taboolafeed

Edited by Lhorn

On 1/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, Dennis Taylor said:

That would be the truth, so I guess that would be out of character.

The Uncle Leo defense would be the only plausible plea in his criminal case but the suit again the cruise line is frivolous as hell, and I hope it's thrown out 

ISWYDT

On 1/19/2020 at 3:36 PM, VABuckeye said:

You're a lawyer, right?  Because you're posting like you're his lawyer.  HE LEANED OUT WITHOUT THE KID IN HIS ARMS.  HE THEN PICKED HER UP AND HELD HER OUTSIDE THE BARRIER FOR 34 SECONDS.

I'm posting like I don't know and can't tell what happened.

And neither can you.  That video and all the photographs are complete shit.  I'm not saying it didn't happen that way or it did. I don't know and I can't tell.  Nor am I willing to blindly accept that doting grandpa is a complete fucking fool.  Maybe he is, maybe there's something weird about the window arrangement that aided his foolishness.

The people that are dead certain what happened are just having fun with their jump to conclusions mat.

The civil lawsuit is weak, no doubt, but it's not frivolous as far as I can tell.  It's not necessarily about signs, it's about a possibly fundamentally dangerous design.  To the extent it puts an opening to the outside of the vessel BELOW (both vertically and possibly horizontally) the guardrail, I might agree.  More to be determined.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:21 AM, Rusty Shackelford said:

Grandpa lied, baby died

Only makes it that much harder for the family

Fuck the grandfather for basically killing his grandchild through his negligence. 

Fuck the grandfather for lying about it. 

Fuck the whole family for blaming the cruise ship and trying to get $ out of it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Fuck the grandfather for basically killing his grandchild through his negligence. 

Fuck the grandfather for lying about it. 

Fuck the whole family for blaming the cruise ship and trying to get $ out of it. 

It's pretty much this, although I do feel for the grandfather, he certainly didn't intend to kill his grand child (giving him the benefit of the doubt here of course).

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

The civil lawsuit is weak, no doubt, but it's not frivolous as far as I can tell.  It's not necessarily about signs, it's about a possibly fundamentally dangerous design.  To the extent it puts an opening to the outside of the vessel BELOW (both vertically and possibly horizontally) the guardrail, I might agree.  More to be determined.

It's a cruise ship. You can be outside on deck and hang a baby over the railing if you want and drop them into the water.

If you are on a bridge back home you can drop a kid over the railing to the road below.

if you are in a car you can open the door going 70 mph and drop the kid out the door onto the highway.

we depend on people not doing stupid shit for society to work.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, po elvis said:

It's a cruise ship. You can be outside on deck and hang a baby over the railing if you want and drop them into the water.

If you are on a bridge back home you can drop a kid over the railing to the road below.

if you are in a car you can open the door going 70 mph and drop the kid out the door onto the highway.

But will you eat green eggs and ham with a goat, on a boat or in a mote ?

• Like 1

Wouldn’t society get better over time if we just let stupid people be stupid?

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

Obviously you're not a lawyer

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...