MrBig

Toddler Falls Out of Cruise Ship Window

2 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Was he drunk?  I don't know if I agree with charging him, but I also don't agree with the cruise line being on the hook.  I guess if a toddler is dead someone has to be at fault?  

I know this was posted mostly in jest, but it all too often reflects the thinking behind so many things subsequent to a horrible accident.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on when to charge an adult when a child dies. We seem to universally want to execute someone for leaving a child in a hot car but let a kid fall from a window or run into a parking lot, and we want to let the parent off since they're grieving. Personally when I think someone is negligent based on some level of reason, their grief should have zero impact on the decision. They can grieve in prison just as much as at home.

By the same token, what is the need to punish them?  Are they a risk to society?  Are we afraid that "they're going to think it's ok" to do this or repeat this kind of action?

In the case of a hot car, I think we tend to believe that the negligence there is a special kind of stupid, usually occasioned by the parent's convenience rather than being in the nature of a really unfortunate occurrence.

I think there are no bright lines on this and there shouldn't be.  And we especially don't need to invent any new crimes for it.

34 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I'd say that the quality of posts in this thread has really fallen off

Well, there was a window of opportunity, but it just seemed to have slipped thru our fingers...

I'm going to Hell, and I don't even believe in it.

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Grandpa charged with negligent homicide:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/us/toddler-cruise-ship-death-grandfather-charged/index.html

My cynical side wonders if the family immediately discussing lawsuits against the cruise line helped contribute to this outcome.

Don't believe it would actually assist the cruise line much.  They'd be arguing grandpa's negligence was a supervening cause (or major contributory/comparative negligence percentage) either way.  A conviction, if it were to go to trial, might assist that, but it's not a slam dunk.

Now, if the cruise line were able to not only affect the prosecutor bringing the charges, but also dismissal or a favorable plea in return for dismissal or favorable settlement of the civil case, that might be a different story.  I'm not a big fan of prosecutors, but that goes beyond the pale.  It is Puerto Rico, though  . . . . .

9 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Many of the predictions in this thread have missed the boat. emoji41.png

Was it ever worth it?
Was there all that much to gain?
Well, we knew we missed the boat
And we'd already missed the plane
We didn't read the invite
We just dance at our wake
All our favorites were playing
So we could shake, shake, shake, shake, shake

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Where were the allegations of drunk grandpa?  I did not see it in the CNN story.

Gramps was on a cruise with his family. I think it's just assumed.

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Where were the allegations of drunk grandpa?  I did not see it in the CNN story.

Gramps was on a cruise with his family. I think it's just assumed.

15 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Many of the predictions in this thread have missed the boat. emoji41.png

They fell flat, but that's what happens when you carelessly bounce ideas to see what sticks.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, TwiceHorn said:

Like I keep saying, Americans love to "work backward" from a horrible and tragic incident to assess blame.

Witness the 39,324 posts after Texas loses a football game for proof of this.