2019 Open Championship @ Royal Portrush

Wally Fairway

54 minutes ago, Sandman said:

He was on Jim Rome recently and he said he doesn't practice during the week for regular tournaments, only when he's getting ready for a major.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimrome/status/1151584241353781248

He said the same in his presser. “When you see me on tv that’s when I play golf.”

An update on David Duval. Turns out his octuple-bogey 13 on 7 wasn’t a 13 after all. It was a 14. A nonuple bogey, then. And that’s a round of 91. Still not quite as bad as Ian Baker-Finch’s effort at Troon in 1997, but that’s a low bar for a former champion to clear. So here’s what happened: he lost his first two tee shots, then sent his third into deep rough. At which point he played the wrong ball, a mistake only discovered up on the green. So he had to go back to the tee having been hit with three penalties for lost balls, plus a two-stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball. He teed off for the fourth time, and took six from there. All of which adds up to 14.

I don't know why DD even bothers to play any more.  For a stretch he was nearly unbeatable.  For a while, I thought he would end up matching Watson or Palmer for number of major wins.  It just shows how hard it is to stay on top in this game.

2 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I don't know why DD even bothers to play any more.  For a stretch he was nearly unbeatable.  For a while, I thought he would end up matching Watson or Palmer for number of major wins.  It just shows how hard it is to stay on top in this game.

once he started focusing on his fitness and got super-skinny, his game went away.  he wasn't out of shape when he was rolling, but he was a little dumpy.  then he went on some crazy diet, got thin, and his swing changed.  he was never the same.

my favorite Duval moment ever was at the 1999 Ryder Cup.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Wasn’t there a steroid rumor for a minute? Didn’t something happen to him and his career ended basically over the course of a season?

I recall he also changed equipment.  He was using an old set of Titeleist irons (981s?) and winning everything.  He either switched Titeleist sets or went with another maker.  I recall Dick Harmon on his Monday radio golf hour with John and Lance on 610 saying it was a bonehead move.  He won something like $6 million with those irons.  Why switch?  

Didn't he also hurt his back?

Edited by HouTex

24 minutes ago, alincoln said:

An update on David Duval. Turns out his octuple-bogey 13 on 7 wasn’t a 13 after all. It was a 14. A nonuple bogey, then. And that’s a round of 91. Still not quite as bad as Ian Baker-Finch’s effort at Troon in 1997, but that’s a low bar for a former champion to clear. So here’s what happened: he lost his first two tee shots, then sent his third into deep rough. At which point he played the wrong ball, a mistake only discovered up on the green. So he had to go back to the tee having been hit with three penalties for lost balls, plus a two-stroke penalty for playing the wrong ball. He teed off for the fourth time, and took six from there. All of which adds up to 14.

Oof.

I haven't been watching the tournament, but what's Tiger doing at T145 (+7) and McElroy at T150 (+8)?  Yesterday on the Golf Channel Darren Clarke said that the course set up favored Tiger hitting his long irons off the tee.  He said a great iron player, like Tiger, would do very well just keeping his tee shots in the fairway.  They must be missing fairways.

11 minutes ago, HouTex said:

I haven't been watching the tournament, but what's Tiger doing at T145 (+7) and McElroy at T150 (+8)?  Yesterday on the Golf Channel Darren Clarke said that the course set up favored Tiger hitting his long irons off the tee.  He said a great iron player, like Tiger, would do very well just keeping his tee shots in the fairway.  They must be missing fairways.

Tiger said yesterday that his long game wasn’t where it needed to be. Missed fairways and errant long irons out of the fairways he did find led to a sting of bogies. Missed putts made sure he never got anything back. 

And 7 of Rory’s +8 came on his first and last hole. 

Edited by heso

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Tiger decided to take the rest of the year off after Augusta. It’s pretty obvious and I don’t blame him. 

He is talking like he is done for the most part and that's pretty sad to see and hear.  He is absolutely great in press conferences.

Tiger is 43 and a walking orthopedic surgeon's nightmare.
By sheer talent and skill, and that special "something" he managed to get that Master's win long after his prime, exactly like Nicklaus in '86, and for a weekend, send rockets off in the golf world.

But he's old, and essentially done.  Another major?  Maybe one.  Maybe.
He's much, much less likely now on the odds to win than not.
It was a magical weekend in April.  But it's pretty much the last one, as I see it.  Forever.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Tiger is 43 and a walking orthopedic surgeon's nightmare.
By sheer talent and skill, and that special "something" he managed to get that Master's win long after his prime, exactly like Nicklaus in '86, and for a weekend, send rockets off in the golf world.

But he's old, and essentially done.  Another major?  Maybe one.  Maybe.
He's much, much less likely now on the odds to win than not.
It was a magical weekend in April.  But it's pretty much the last one, as I see it.  Forever.

yeah - I've thought that for a while, but haven't voiced it, because I didn't want to be the Debbie Downer at the Tiger celebration party.
And much like how Norman choked the '86 Masters to Jack, there was a group who choked on the tee ball at #13 to allow Tiger to waltz away with another greenie.

I've seen this coming since he quit playing golf to prepare for a major, he has only played The Memorial since winning the Master other than the majors. It will be interesting to see if he tries to play the FedEx events.
The Masters sets up nice for him, as he can play as much or little as he wants after taking that long break ending one year and starting the other. But IMO, you will never see Tiger out there playing like Duval, or Daly, or any of a bunch of exempt former major winners who struggle to get around the links.

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

yeah - I've thought that for a while, but haven't voiced it, because I didn't want to be the Debbie Downer at the Tiger celebration party.
And much like how Norman choked the '86 Masters to Jack, there was a group who choked on the tee ball at #13 to allow Tiger to waltz away with another greenie.

I've seen this coming since he quit playing golf to prepare for a major, he has only played The Memorial since winning the Master other than the majors. It will be interesting to see if he tries to play the FedEx events.
The Masters sets up nice for him, as he can play as much or little as he wants after taking that long break ending one year and starting the other. But IMO, you will never see Tiger out there playing like Duval, or Daly, or any of a bunch of exempt former major winners who struggle to get around the links.

I agree with this.  I do think he can win a few more green jackets though.  

13 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah, if he wins any more majors, it'll be the Masters.  But maybe 1 more.  The kids coming up are just too strong/good now.

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Billy Casper-51 PGA wins, 3 majors

Gary Player-24 PGA wins, 9 majors

Lee Trevino-29 PGA wins, 6 majors

Lloyd Mangrum-36 PGA wins, 1 major

Among those four who are considered to be the best two?  The ones with the most PGA tour wins or the ones with the most majors?

yep. Zach Johnson has 12 tour wins. Without the Green Jacket and the Open win at St. Andrews nobody would know who the hell he even was.  

The other five that have a green jacket and Open win at St. Andrews:

Snead, Nicklaus, Faldo, Ballesteros, Woods.

4 hours ago, pops said:

With the money available now it's easy for a guy with koepka's talent to just focus on majors and play in whatever the minimum is now to keep your card. 

It wasn't that long ago Norman was the first player in history to win a million dollars in a year. It wasn't that much later he took the all time money lead over tom kite at like 8 million. 

Billy fucking horshel won 10 million in a month a couple years ago. 

That being said, you would think talent alone would translate into some regular wins for koepka. 

It has to be tough once you've been paid, though. What have Rory or spieth done since signing their huge deals?

Curtis Strange was the first player to surpass $1M in single-season money earnings in 1988. Tom Kite did the same in 1989 and then Greg Norman did it for the first time in 1990.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

yep. Zach Johnson has 12 tour wins. Without the Green Jacket and the Open win at St. Andrews nobody would know who the hell he even was.  

The other five that have a green jacket and Open win at St. Andrews:

Snead, Nicklaus, Faldo, Ballesteros, Woods.

Anyone recognize the name Dave Hill?

Didn't think so

13 PGA tour victories from 61-76 and a Vardon trophy, but no majors. I only know the name as I grew up near his hometown, and caddied for him once at an outing.

53 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Curtis Strange was the first player to surpass $1M in single-season money earnings in 1988. Tom Kite did the same in 1989 and then Greg Norman did it for the first time in 1990.

Newest Golf magazine has a staggering comparison of money won in majors of Jack and Tiger.

16.3M for Tiger

646K for Jack(36k/win)

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Anyone recognize the name Dave Hill?

Didn't think so

13 PGA tour victories from 61-76 and a Vardon trophy, but no majors. I only know the name as I grew up near his hometown, and caddied for him once at an outing.

Dave Hill > Tiger Woods

best story now is whether Rory can make the cut.  started at +8.  he's at +4.  just teed off on 12, a par 5.  he split the fairway with a big drive.  should birdie here and get to 3 over.  gonna need to get to at least 2 over, maybe 1 over.  not sure where the cut is.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, Wally Fairway said:

The R&A come up with an answer to players grandstopping (aiming for the grand stands and a free drop)

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/07/15/2019-british-open-grandstopping-18th-green-drop-zone/

They should stop raking bunkers too, so they actually become a hazard again. Or just fill them in with thick ass rough.

44 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

best story now is whether Rory can make the cut.  started at +8.  he's at +4.  just teed off on 12, a par 5.  he split the fairway with a big drive.  should birdie here and get to 3 over.  gonna need to get to at least 2 over, maybe 1 over.  not sure where the cut is.

The cut line right now sits at +1, with 73rd place being  +2. Rory needs to make up 3 strokes in his final 5 holes.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:31 PM, pops said:

It has to be tough once you've been paid, though. What have Rory or spieth done since signing their huge deals?

I mean Rory has won a Players since then.... which is a huge deal for golfers not named Rory McIlroy or Jordan Spieth. 

Edited by ztejas

30 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

The cut line right now sits at +1, with 73rd place being  +2. Rory needs to make up 3 strokes in his final 5 holes.

Do they not do the 10-shot rule at The Open? Leader is 8-under, right?