2019 Open Championship @ Royal Portrush

Wally Fairway

Koepka was not happy with Holmes. 

Notoriously one of the slowest players on tour, Holmes took 10 practice swings on the opening tee, addressing the ball and backing away twice before finally getting his final round underway. In total, he took more than a minute to select what club he would begin with, only to proceed to his opening shot out of bounds and record the first of two double-bogeys. 

Worse would come at the 11th as he scored a triple-bogey seven on the par-four hole.

And it took until the 12th green for that frustration to boil over, with Koepka pointing to an imaginary watch on his wrist in the direction of the match official as he lost his patience with how slow Holmes was playing.

The frustration was not a surprise in the slightest, given how outspoken Koepka has been in the past with slow play. And he waited until after the round before criticising Holmes directly when asked about his unhappiness.

"When it's your turn to hit, your glove is not on, then you start thinking about it," Koepka said. "That's where the problem lies. It's not that he takes that long. He doesn't do anything until it's his turn. That's the frustrating part. But he's not the only one that does it out here."

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/the-open-2019-jb-holmes-slow-play-brooks-koepka-score-leaderboard-nightmare-round-a9014596.html

6 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Played in Bumfuck, Northern Ireland .. miles from anywhere .. won by a dude who lives only a couple of hours away?

Rigged ... no doubt. 😏

So like Augusta National when Larry Mize won, right?
Or Erin Hills (which is "close" to Milwaukee), or Whistling Straits (which is further from Milwaukee, so maybe close to Green Bay or Oshkosh)

It's a great course with a rich history, they did a great job hosting the event - there are some great venues in the rota, this looks like one of them to me.

Holmes comes into the last round in 3rd place and leaves tied for 67th.
Ouch. Good fuck him.

Glad Lowry won. Great to see an Irish guy win like that. As easy as it may have looked that wasn't easy. It could have changed in an instant. He played very solid.

17 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I finally carved out some time to watch some. 

I sure hope Shane Lowry isn't a dickhead because I kinda like him. 

I know the eyewitness is a bit biased, but everything my co-worker has said about his cousin (Shane) makes him sound like one of the most down to Earth guys in the world and someone you just want to have a beer with.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, LTtxfan said:

Damn Marshal needed to get out of the way of Rickie's first tee shot.... Bumped off Marshal to go out of bounds.

Probably stays in if he gets out of the way...

For this exact reason, they should be standing out of bounds.  Regardless, Ricky, don't hit it over there dammit.

• Like 1