Homemade Ice Cream

NoName

On 7/11/2019 at 12:23 PM, Errestaurants said:

I made peach ice cream couple days ago and posted it on the other thread. I hear the kitchen aid one works great. Have to freeze the bowl I believe 158515ab7c74a5100d074214eb341ee0.jpgc2535a78149bb9209a507c4258039320.jpg81316a5fb94848a45580b67a71308eb8.jpg0a5c90a0dfaf4d72b414ae8f61e36a20.jpg2c6f331d33b08295c90dedfd4ec72eb4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I was asked to make some ice cream for the Fourth of July and just pulled up internet recipes for Strawberry. Used the below and it was absolutely outstanding. Only things I did off recipe were double the vanilla and use an emulsifier on the cream/strawberries/vanilla before adding them to the custard.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/homemade-strawberry-ice-cream/

5 hours ago, C-Man said:

Bought the Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Attachment last week. Making my first run at peach ice cream. The custard, which tasted awesome BTW, is chilling in the fridge. Will start churning around 6:30 or so. Wish me luck.

Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment you say ?  Finally a use for our kitchen aid mixer sitting in the corner gathering dust.

• Like 1

84fc39839a831d54fdd685407d47c043.jpg

Making magic

f2ef7a60ad75a80b113ccc722e86e264.jpg

Pretty good in soft serve consistency. Maybe more strong vanilla with peaches rather than peach ice cream but who doesn’t love vanilla with peaches.

8209678862c55638f8633e55ef982ccd.jpg

It still hasn’t completely set at this point. Tastes good though.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RMac5 said:

Are you happy with the bowl for the mixer? Mine arrived and it’s in the freezer but didn’t get a chance to make ice cream yet.

First batch turned out great. Looking forward to using it again. Apparently there's some reports of the blue goo that freezes leaking out of the bowl down the road.

2 hours ago, drt said:

Anyone ever used Hershey’s shell as a mix in their ice cream maker? Thinking about trying it but also have hard chocolate I could shave and mix in as mentioned up thread. 

I'm only two batches in with my machine but I did vanilla and to mix the chocolate in, melted bar or bar and a half with a double boiler.  Then when you're about 3-5 mins from being done, pour melted chocolate in a thin stream into the ice cream. It freezes in the ice cream and creates nice thin shards.  Of course if you want bigger chunks, I'd shave the bar.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:26 PM, drt said:

Anyone ever used Hershey’s shell as a mix in their ice cream maker? Thinking about trying it but also have hard chocolate I could shave and mix in as mentioned up thread. 

The guy from Salt and Straw did a video with how they do a fudge ribbon in it and they basically make it in ice cream maker and then shift it over to a loaf pan and add it in there - here is a video but not sure it is going to correctly jump to the right time stamp (go to 2:23 if it doesn't)

i just picked up his cookbook on Amazon last night, they make a ton of insane flavors (seriously check some of them out at that link) and their base doesn't use eggs at all, they use Xanthan Gum instead.

he talks about why some it in this NYT Food Youtube video spoilered below but basically the idea is to use egg as a flavoring agent not a stabilizing agent...

Spoiler

On 7/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, PantsTent said:

I'm only two batches in with my machine but I did vanilla and to mix the chocolate in, melted bar or bar and a half with a double boiler.  Then when you're about 3-5 mins from being done, pour melted chocolate in a thin stream into the ice cream. It freezes in the ice cream and creates nice thin shards.  Of course if you want bigger chunks, I'd shave the bar.

On 7/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, Kennythetiger said:

As one who has shaved a bar, your idea sounds infinitely easier and cleaner. 

Stella Parks (Bravetart) handles this a bit different for her Straciattella...

Melting Chocolate:

Spoiler

Armed with a fantastic chocolate, the real trick to straciattella comes from melting it with a spoonful of refined coconut oil. It's a flavorless, odorless infusion of saturated fat that lowers the melting point of chocolate. Normally, that's right about body temperature, giving chocolate its characteristic "melt in your mouth" consistency. But when spoonfuls of gelato chill your tongue, bits of pure chocolate take longer and longer to melt, which makes them seem greasy or waxy.

With coconut oil, the cold chocolate still seems snappy and crisp, but by lowering its freezing point it will melt more quickly even when our mouths are cool. This in turn lets the chocolate better flood our taste buds, so we're able to perceive as much of its flavor as possible. Liquid oil will lower the freezing point as well, but because it's unsaturated it tends to give the chocolate a soft, rather than crisp consistency.

Traditionally, the chocolate mixture is poured directly into the gelato right before it comes off the machine. As the stream of warm chocolate hits cold gelato, it solidifies into a ribbon that is pulled through the gelato as it churns; as the ribbon freezes, it begins to pull apart and break into shards both big and small (straciattella comes from the Latin word stracciare, which means to tear or rip).

she touches and shows the "classic" way which she talks about in the last paragraph above but she basically pours it on parchment paper, spreads it out with an offset spatula, freezes it then adds it to the mixer

Spoiler

The results are as different as the techniques. The traditional method gives stracciatella a slightly darker color, with chocolate flavor mixed into the gelato itself, and a higher proportion of small shards and flecks. It takes no special effort to achieve, and produces a gelato where every bite contains its own unique mix of chips, chunks, flecks, shards.

The sheet method keeps the chips distinct from the gelato, with chips that are more uniform overall. It certainly takes a bit more time and effort than the classic technique, but it allows for a more evenly textured gelato. There's no right or wrong here, so choose the method that suits your personal taste.

picture difference:

Spoiler

20180628-stracciatella-vicky-wasik-20.jp

2 hours ago, NoName said:

The guy from Salt and Straw did a video with how they do a fudge ribbon in it and they basically make it in ice cream maker and then shift it over to a loaf pan and add it in there - here is a video but not sure it is going to correctly jump to the right time stamp (go to 2:23 if it doesn't)

Reveal hidden contents

i just picked up his cookbook on Amazon last night, they make a ton of insane flavors (seriously check some of them out at that link) and their base doesn't use eggs at all, they use Xanthan Gum instead.

he talks about why some it in this NYT Food Youtube video spoilered below but basically the idea is to use egg as a flavoring agent not a stabilizing agent...

Reveal hidden contents

Neat. Thanks for the link. Might pick up the book. (BTW, it's cheaper if you order through Amazon Prime.)