Quick Trip

Hanrahan

Wife and I have an ultra rare week with both kids off at summer camp.  I can take two days off work so we can go for a long weekend, either Sunday through Tuesday or a Thursday to Sunday.  I'm not looking to throw money away but price is not a serious obstacle - this happens at most once a year.  Where would you go in that situation?

Edit:  Located in Houston

Edited by Hanrahan
because I'm dumb

Where are you currently located? If in Texas or any of the other sweltering places around, I'd catch a quick flight to Denver and make the short drive out to Breckenridge or the surrounding towns. Airbnbs are cheap. Load up on whiskey, marijuana, and snacks and enjoy the low humidity and cool mornings. 

• Like 3

We just did this.  Went to San Miguel de Allende for a long weekend. Cool days but sunny enough to let us jump into a really cold pool to freshen up.   Had to wear sweaters at night.  Ate good food; had good drinks; relaxed. Beautiful place.  2 hour flight to QRO or BJX, then get a car to pick you up.  Perfect summer escape.

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

We just did this.  Went to San Miguel de Allende for a long weekend. Cool days but sunny enough to let us jump into a really cold pool to freshen up.   Had to wear sweaters at night.  Ate good food; had good drinks; relaxed. Beautiful place.  2 hour flight to QRO or BJX, then get a car to pick you up.  Perfect summer escape.

spacer.png

San Miguel de Allende is high on our list. Recommended length of stay? 

May be too hot, but you could go the stay-cation route.  Save money and go check into the Post Oak for a few nights.  Hit the pool and spa and some good restaurants that you wouldn’t normally try.  Have a piece of Butter Cake from Mastros whenever you want, anywhere on property.  One of the nicest hotels in the country.

Edited by Landomatic

26 minutes ago, CoTex said:

This is the correct answer:

https://www.acqualinaresort.com/

This is second place

https://m.fourseasons.com/surfside/

direct flight to FLL, 15 minute Uber to hotel.

Assuming money is no object, this is probably the correct answer from everything I know.  Both places are supposed to be amazing properties and definitely on my list.

That said, not sure about Miami in the summer though.  If OP is trying to get out of the heat, it will be as bad as Houston.  Or worse.  Counterpoint, those two places should also be quite a bit cheaper in the summer so maybe worth it.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Assuming money is no object, this is probably the correct answer from everything I know.  Both places are supposed to be amazing properties and definitely on my list.

That said, not sure about Miami in the summer though.  If OP is trying to get out of the heat, it will be as bad as Houston.  Or worse.  Counterpoint, those two places should also be quite a bit cheaper in the summer so maybe worth it.

Miami in the summer is hot, but not as hot as most of Texas. 

I cannot stress strongly enough that, if you want to sit on a beach for 72 hours and have people do everything for you, go to one of these places. 

If service is valued by you, and you want a taste of the easy life, go here.

If you're worried about the heat, they will have a cabana boy or girl surround you with 4 beach umbrellas, and they'll come adjust them throughout the day to make sure you're shaded.

If you've always wanted to have a couples massage, in your room, from a Eastern European massage independent contractor, they have that too.

House car will be a Bentley, Escalade or Tesla and the concierge will move you up the list at any restaurant.

9 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Miami in the summer is hot, but not as hot as most of Texas. 

I cannot stress strongly enough that, if you want to sit on a beach for 72 hours and have people do everything for you, go to one of these places. 

If service is valued by you, and you want a taste of the easy life, go here.

If you're worried about the heat, they will have a cabana boy or girl surround you with 4 beach umbrellas, and they'll come adjust them throughout the day to make sure you're shaded.

If you've always wanted to have a couples massage, in your room, from a Eastern European massage independent contractor, they have that too.

House car will be a Bentley, Escalade or Tesla and the concierge will move you up the list at any restaurant.

Pics of masseuse? 

8 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Pics of masseuse? 

It works like this.  Some attractive lady in a bikini top with some see through skirt/wrap will stroll by on the beach and when she walks by your chair she will say in a low voice "massaje?" with an "h" sound, not the "ge" sound you typically associate with this service.

She will be attractive, she probably won't take American Express, and there will be more than one provider that walks by.  I didn't ask for a menu of services, and I didn't personally partake in the services, but my instinct tells me that if the masseuse is wearing a bikini, she's probably a professional. 

2 minutes ago, CoTex said:

It works like this.  Some attractive lady in a bikini top with some see through skirt/wrap will stroll by on the beach and when she walks by your chair she will say in a low voice "massaje?" with an "h" sound, not the "ge" sound you typically associate with this service.

She will be attractive, she probably won't take American Express, and there will be more than one provider that walks by.  I didn't ask for a menu of services, and I didn't personally partake in the services, but my instinct tells me that if the masseuse is wearing a bikini, she's probably a professional. 

giphy.gif

17 hours ago, Eggo said:

San Miguel de Allende is high on our list. Recommended length of stay? 

For us, San Miguel is about relaxing, just walking around, finding cool places to look at art or whatever, getting a bite to eat or coffee, etc. and then hit a pool,  hanging out on a rooftop terrace with drinks, siesta etc. Then, a nice dinner, hit a bar, and end with wine on the rooftop again.    For that, 3-4 nights is great for us.  It may be too much for people who are agenda driven and need a precise, planned list of activities.  So, if you need more, you would consider hiring a car and going to see the other historic, colonial cities (Guanajuato, Queretaro, Dolores).  Every time we go, we consider going to see another city, but never do.  It's just too damn nice in SMA to leave, but that's us.  Most people recommend seeing, at least, Guanajuato.  There are also cooking classes and such, but we have never done that either.  It's funny, on other vacations, we are super active, but in San Miguel, we just let time slow down.   

1 hour ago, DFWTexEx said:

For us, San Miguel is about relaxing, just walking around, finding cool places to look at art or whatever, getting a bite to eat or coffee, etc. and then hit a pool,  hanging out on a rooftop terrace with drinks, siesta etc. Then, a nice dinner, hit a bar, and end with wine on the rooftop again.    For that, 3-4 nights is great for us.  It may be too much for people who are agenda driven and need a precise, planned list of activities.  So, if you need more, you would consider hiring a car and going to see the other historic, colonial cities (Guanajuato, Queretaro, Dolores).  Every time we go, we consider going to see another city, but never do.  It's just too damn nice in SMA to leave, but that's us.  Most people recommend seeing, at least, Guanajuato.  There are also cooking classes and such, but we have never done that either.  It's funny, on other vacations, we are super active, but in San Miguel, we just let time slow down.   

Glad you made it home safe.  Watched a show one time about a guy who got kidnapped from (pretty sure) there.  Scared the shit outa me.

• Haha 1