Who pays for players these days?

I would guess virtually all major programs, if under the microscope of a full investigation, are violating "something" (most very minor).  It's a matter of how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.  

Boosters and those tight with the program fill these opaque swim-lanes and make sure prospective players "have a good time".  There are overt ways coaches make sure players get the full experience.  Former players.  Rich alumni.  Boats.  Big houses.  Women.  Coaches put on the full court press.  But then there's more.  There's always more.  Many coaches actively drive these.  More turn a blind eye and make sure it's contained and discreet and act like it's their firm handshakes, straight talk, and platitudes that seal the deal each month.  But they know.  

7 hours ago, markstanco said:

Texas, ou, aggy, Clemson, alabama, lsu, usc, oregon, florida, mississippi, mississippi state, ohio state.

Wait, all of the above except Texas? Let's discuss.

If we do then it's quite possibly the worst roi in the history given the past decade. I'm naive enough to say the decade prior to that, nothing major (i.e. mommas got a new house and job) was either or we have the most stealthy bagman ever because you never hear anything*.

It's already been stated and I can definitely see it as such that the ones with money stick their nose up to this sort of thing. I will say that if the right group of people were to get evolved someday, we'd beat anybody. 

*GTFO with the whole $100 handshake business. I don't doubt someone somewhere slipped Sims a c note. Maybe even on more than one occasion and he assuredly wasn't the only one. However, when $180k is going to some rando guard at LSU, looking at ole miss or the reggie Bush situation at sc, $100 is nothing. 

• Like 1

The vanishing, over-taxed middle class. Working people like you and me. The common guy. The single mother trying to keep food on the table. The cop on the beat. Joe six pack. The men and women who built this great country only to be exploited by the powers that be.

They pay for everything. And they're sick of it. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Scholz said:

$$$ooner mantra forever.  Everybody does it...

I do kind of envy blowU in the sense that they cheat and they just fucking own it. They don't care and don't try to pass themselves off as overly sanctimonious. They welcome in the high talent locker room cancers who have been kicked off of teams, convicted of assault, domestic violence, sexual misconduct? No problem as long as you are a good enough player. They buy recruits, the do shit that would make Belichick blush on the sidelines, and they laugh about it all the way to winning over 50% of the conference titles since the B12's inception.  Hard to argue with the results even if they are the shit stains of society. 

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I do kind of envy blowU in the sense that they cheat and they just fucking own it. They don't care and don't try to pass themselves off as overly sanctimonious. They welcome in the high talent locker room cancers who have been kicked off of teams, convicted of assault, domestic violence, sexual misconduct? No problem as long as you are a good enough player. They buy recruits, the do shit that would make Belichick blush on the sidelines, and they laugh about it all the way to winning over 50% of the conference titles since the B12's inception.  Hard to argue with the results even if they are the shit stains of society. 

Pulling for Ole Miss in the peak Freeze era was fun as shit. Having to ignore OU's annual commitment to violence against women would feel a lot grosser.

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

Texas, ou, aggy, Clemson, alabama, lsu, usc, oregon, florida, mississippi, mississippi state, ohio state.

Wait, all of the above except Texas? Let's discuss.

Everybody cheats. Everyone stretches the rules or flat out breaks them, including Texas... BUT, not everyone is on that SEC/Ohio St/Oregon level. It's multiple levels above anything a Texas does. It's so organized, and the school administrations allow it. 

OU, I think they're ramping up to it, how far they go I dunno. I envy that, tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I do kind of envy blowU in the sense that they cheat and they just fucking own it. They don't care and don't try to pass themselves off as overly sanctimonious. 

Disagree.  They don't own that their entire history is built on cheating (damn for 2 of their 50s titles, they couldn't even play in a bowl game due to suspension for cheating - they just spin/ignore/lie about it).  They also ignore all the recent violence against women they condone for Ws.  They try to say everyone does it to absolve themselves of dirty behavior.  If they did as you suggest and just said "Yeah we're complete scumbags, so what?  We've got titles to show for it" I'd respect them more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Disagree.  They don't own that their entire history is built on cheating (damn for 2 of their 50s titles, they couldn't even play in a bowl game due to suspension for cheating - they just spin/ignore/lie about it).  They also ignore all the recent violence against women they condone for Ws.  They try to say everyone does it to absolve themselves of dirty behavior.  If they did as you suggest and just said "Yeah we're complete scumbags, so what?  We've got titles to show for it" I'd respect them more.

They kind of did say that.. 

229148.jpg

• Haha 1

Everyone colors outside the lines to a degree; that's not what is being discussed.  It's the institutionalized cheating brought into vogue by the $EC and also being practiced by tOSU and NikeDuck that is ruining college football.  You mention "art institution" to reps of those schools and they think you're talking about a money laundering operation.