Cincinnati-Dinner recco

BrazilHorn

I lived in Cincinnati for about a year and a half back in 2010-11. Over-the-Rhine was just starting to get gentrified, so I spent a decent amount of time there. Eat at Senate.

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

skyline chili.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Gold Star

Don't do this. 

I stayed not long ago at... whatever the big hotel is at that square with the fountain downtown.  There's an Italian place that's OK.  Locals I was working with told me I needed to go to Over-the-Rhine (a neighborhood) because that's where all the cool shit is

https://www.urbanadventures.com/blog/neighbourhood-locals-guide-rhine-cincinnati.html

not real far from downtown, but it seemed like a pretty sketchy area was between downtown and there.  Think hipster parts of east Austin.  We ate here, it was good

https://www.eaglerestaurant.com/menu/

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I lived in Cincinnati for about a year and a half back in 2010-11. Over-the-Rhine was just starting to get gentrified, so I spent a decent amount of time there. Eat at Senate.

Don't do this. 

i had that (Senate) written down because someone said something about poutine that i wanted to eat

ah, it was poutine with a fried egg on top.  i would eat the shit out of that

Edited by Celery Man
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I stayed not long ago at... whatever the big hotel is at that square with the fountain downtown.  There's an Italian place that's OK.  Locals I was working with told me I needed to go to Over-the-Rhine (a neighborhood) because that's where all the cool shit is

https://www.urbanadventures.com/blog/neighbourhood-locals-guide-rhine-cincinnati.html

not real far from downtown, but it seemed like a pretty sketchy area was between downtown and there.  Think hipster parts of east Austin.  We ate here, it was good

https://www.eaglerestaurant.com/menu/

OTR used to be one of the most notoriously dangerous neighborhoods in the US for years. There were race riots there in 2001. Just keep your eyes open and your wallet in your front pocket. 

12 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i had that (Senate) written down because someone said something about poutine that i wanted to eat

ah, it was poutine with a fried egg on top.  i would eat the shit out of that

Yes. Damn good poutine.

12 minutes ago, gecko said:

Is the Montgomery Inn still "a thing" for ribs?  Haven't been there in decades.....

I don't know. Haven't been there (In Cincy) since the mid 90's. They opened a store in Dublin, OH some years back and it was horrendous. The ribs were boiled then put through a conveyor belt oven they called a "ribulator." One bite pulled all the meat off the bone. And the sauce tasted like ketchup. I wouldn't risk it, especially if I was from Texas. 

Edit: Also, that store closed some years back too. They probably only lasted a couple of years. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

18 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I don't know. Haven't been there (In Cincy) since the mid 90's. They opened a store in Dublin, OH some years back and it was horrendous. The ribs were boiled then put through a conveyor belt oven they called a "ribulator." One bite pulled all the meat off the bone. And the sauce tasted like ketchup. I wouldn't risk it, especially if I was from Texas. 

Edit: Also, that store closed some years back too. They probably only lasted a couple of years. 

Ribulated for her pleasure

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's probably better as a lunchtime option. Or late night after you've been at the bar. 

It would take more than alcohol to get me to eat "chili" laced with cinnamon, cocoa powder, and spaghetti noodles. 

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

It would take more than alcohol to get me to eat "chili" laced with cinnamon, cocoa powder, and spaghetti noodles. 

You should probably avoid moussaka too. Or is it not the spices you're afraid of but the word "chili" in the name "Cincinnati chili" that you're hung up about? Because you're from Texas goddammit and chili only means one thing to you so you can't like something with the name chili in it that doesn't conform to your definition? 

It's a spicy meat sauce first made by Greek immigrants, flavored with Mediterranean spices, that is served on pasta or hot dogs and covered with cheese. What's not to like about that? Oh, right, it has the word "chili" in the name. It's not chili. It's Cincinnati chili. They're not the same thing. 

Frito pie isn't pie but I'll bet you eat that. 

• Like 1