Washington Post-The Lion King is a tale of fascism.

EMAWesome

56 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

And when it's taking down corrupt Presidents of the most powerful nation on earth. 

After that is precisely when it started going down the shitter. It could have continued in that vein but it started becoming the paper that tells you how you should live. Since then it's been a piece of shit. As a Washington native, I've read it for over 50 years and it's obvious to anyone who has..

16 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

After that is precisely when it started going down the shitter. It could have continued in that vein but it started becoming the paper that tells you how you should live. Since then it's been a piece of shit. As a Washington native, I've read it for over 50 years and it's obvious to anyone who has..

Too true.  They reached their Zenith on that day, and since then it's been a slow ride downhill.  Still better than some.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

12 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

As has been mentioned many times, it is based on classic literature. That classic literature reflects the ideas and beliefs of the era it is written in and the eras it covers. So it's interesting to see old modes of storytelling mixed with newer modes. Old stories that venerated the Divine Right of Kings (not necessarily Hamlet itself, though...) had the purpose of upholding/reinforcing/teaching that social order to prevent unrest, so when you adapt those stories to modern, Democratic times, it creates an anachronistic value set trying to fit in with modern value sets.

The white/black coding of the characters in The Lion King is debatable, of course, and is an element of that transition from pre-modern to modern era storytelling. When the older stories were written, it was an in an all-white context so the delineations were primarily class-based. But in modern America (and the modern West in general, so much as "the West" means anything (it doesn't)) race and class are inextricably linked so it is virtually impossible to tell a class-coded story without making it racially coded as well.

And the creators of the Lion King didn't work very hard to try and separate those things, choosing minority actors for the bad guy's voiced underlings (along with one mentally retarded underling) and a feminine/gay-coded male as the main bad guy.

It's interesting if you aren't (1) stupid and/or (2) strangely emotionally invested in believing that art is entirely without context or message.

It's fine to enjoy The Lion King while acknowledging what it is.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Brain Worms 1

bad_teammate 0

23 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

As has been mentioned many times, it is based on classic literature. That classic literature reflects the ideas and beliefs of the era it is written in and the eras it covers. So it's interesting to see old modes of storytelling mixed with newer modes. Old stories that venerated the Divine Right of Kings (not necessarily Hamlet itself, though...) had the purpose of upholding/reinforcing/teaching that social order to prevent unrest, so when you adapt those stories to modern, Democratic times, it creates an anachronistic value set trying to fit in with modern value sets.

The white/black coding of the characters in The Lion King is debatable, of course, and is an element of that transition from pre-modern to modern era storytelling. When the older stories were written, it was an in an all-white context so the delineations were primarily class-based. But in modern America (and the modern West in general, so much as "the West" means anything (it doesn't)) race and class are inextricably linked so it is virtually impossible to tell a class-coded story without making it racially coded as well.

And the creators of the Lion King didn't work very hard to try and separate those things, choosing minority actors for the bad guy's voiced underlings (along with one mentally retarded underling) and a feminine/gay-coded male as the main bad guy.

It's interesting if you aren't (1) stupid and/or (2) strangely emotionally invested in believing that art is entirely without context or message.

It's fine to enjoy The Lion King while acknowledging what it is.

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Rafiki, the smartest, wisest character in the entire movie is voiced by a minority actor John Kani. Oh no, there goes a leg of your revisionist history farce about the intentional use of minorities for the bad guy roles being some nod to white racial superiority.  James Earl Jones, another minority actor, if I'm not mistaken played Mufasa (the wise and great king of the pride).

Oh and his mother was played by another minority actor, Madge Sinclair.   All of those actors played the good guys, and gals in the Lion King. What dog whistle message is that trying to send ?  I guess Cheech Marin and Whoopie are just bad people ?  Never known Whoopie to play the bad guy, and Cheech, well he just played them so well, but I guess he was just a beaner, stoner in all those Cheech and Chong movies.

Rut rho...facts, they some tricky little devils.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Rafiki, the smartest, wisest character in the entire movie is voiced by a minority actor John Kani. Oh no, there goes a leg of your revisionist history farce about the intentional use of minorities for the bad guy roles being some nod to white racial superiority.  James Earl Jones, another minority actor, if I'm not mistaken played Mufasa (the wise and great king of the pride).

Oh and his mother was played by another minority actor, Madge Sinclair.   All of those actors played the good guys, and gals in the Lion King. What dog whistle message is that trying to send ?  I guess Cheech Marin and Whoopie are just bad people ?  Never known Whoopie to play the bad guy, and Cheech, well he just played them so well, but I guess he was just a beaner, stoner in all those Cheech and Chong movies.

Rut rho...facts, they some tricky little devils.

Here's a tricky little devil: you are content with supporting evil.

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There ya go, what a nice little, this has not a damned thing to do with The Lion Kings alleged hidden racist themes thread moment for you.

Ya might wanna read those potential posts a bit more carefully before posting, and ask yourself, does this have any relevance at all to the thread. You'll save some wear, and tear on that keyboard.

It's merely symptomatic of our post-modern ennui. There are no absolutes, and thus you perceive our world as meaningless when it's really your own freedom you detest. I like pork.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mole said:

It's merely symptomatic of our post-modern ennui. There are no absolutes, and thus you perceive our world as meaningless when it's really your own freedom you detest. I like pork.

You mean it's not a lie if you believe it ?

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Here's a tricky little devil:  you are content with over analyzing animated movies where animals sing Elton John songs.  For the sake of everyone stay away from Kurosawa and Leone movies. 

(May have mistaken you for bad teammate but I really don't care.  You both could take the fun out of a weekend in Las Vegas.)

Edited by EMAWesome