Spoof Calls

Trey3216

I had gotten almost none of these type of calls until about 2 months ago. Not from my own office but close. They started right after I provided my phone number (doh!) to Great Clips. A shitty haircut AND apparently they share your info! Sam, my regular barber in the Diamondpoint shopping center, was out due to medical reasons and I had to find some other place. Furk these people. I'm 82% sure they're the culprit. If I had known that chick was going to butcher my luxurious locks and that they were going to sell my #  I'd have told 'em to fuck off. Never again.

2 in the last 2 days, regarding my soc sec. number.

I had NOT received one in so long I thought maybe my number was exempt from their bullshit.

It should be fucking illegal to solicit/ scam by phone.  Fuck these people

39 minutes ago, slorch said:

It should be fucking illegal to solicit/ scam by phone.  Fuck these people

Many of them are.  But they are based in other countries and use a voip service.  I was gonna say they can move their operation as easy as moving a single desktop, but for all I know it could be in the cloud by now.  So it's hard to find the culprits physically, then if you do you may not even be able to do anything about it.  

Good article about it.  

https://www.wired.com/story/on-the-trail-of-the-robocall-king/

We keep getting phone calls 3 or 4 times a week that threaten my wife (by name) to solve a “fraud problem” by demanding her SS & drivers license numbers, or else they will turn the case over to the Cameron County clerk’s office (and gives a toll number to call.... which does not match the real Cameron County clerk’s office).

I am getting sick of those goddamned criminal motherfuckers trying to scare old people so they can rob them. There is a special place in hell for that scum.

The voice does not sound like a recording like those fake IRS “investigator” calls, as they are all a little different in the wording. It sounds like a mature white woman with no accent.

Shit on that shameless bitch for working for a criminal scam. She can rot in a Nigerian septic tank while sucking on a gangrenous dick. 

• Like 4

I average about 10 robocalls per day and have for the last year or 18 months, but that last couple weeks have really seen an uptick. To wit, I’m at 67 since Monday. 

- 99% of them occur between my local business hours 

- The numbers used to closely mimic my own, but that’s declined over the recent months

- The area codes used to be almost exclusively 512 (same as mine); now the majority still are, but others from Minnesota, Florida, South Dakota, Iowa, North Carolina, and New York have started; the area codes don’t change when I’m traveling, as has been reported by other robocall recipients

- The 512 numbers tend to report being from Thrall, Burnet, Buchanan Dam, Taylor, Wimberly, Martindale, or Jarrell 

- Robocall blocking apps are trash and don’t really work

- Fuck Ajit Pai

2 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I got an international call from “Zambia” at 3am this morning.    Fuckers.  

30F2DEB8-FAA7-40B9-8A63-8EE6BC9FD965.thumb.jpeg.7e2b3bd6b386c930fa9d33725fbe252f.jpeg

Looks like that’s who got me...

edit to say I’m not even close AARP age though I get correspondence from them monthly.  

Edited by SDG

Do phone providers make money on this shit somehow? Technology is skyrocketing and I can’t believe that this isn’t something that can’t be stoped relatively easily. Or is just impossible to keep up with the evolving technology on the scammer’s side?

I regularly avoid giving my number to fuckers that ask for it even though there is no reason for them to contact me via phone. The selling of personal info is a huge backdoor for a lot of scumbag businesses.

I was getting about 4 calls a day for most this year, and then suddenly nothing for most of May/June. Started back up in July.

BUT.....I just received an email on Tuesday inviting me to join the illuminati. Once I get signed up, I imagine I can harness their influence to permanently resolve the issue.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Do phone providers make money on this shit somehow? Technology is skyrocketing and I can’t believe that this isn’t something that can’t be stoped relatively easily. Or is just impossible to keep up with the evolving technology on the scammer’s side?

I regularly avoid giving my number to fuckers that ask for it even though there is no reason for them to contact me via phone. The selling of personal info is a huge backdoor for a lot of scumbag businesses.

I don't know that phone companies make money on this; they just don't want to expend the $$$ to stop it.  Right now, even with legit phone systems, you can pretty much broadcast any caller id you want.  Supposedly, your telco limits the id you send out to one that is registered to you, but in my experience, this only works like 1 out of 5 times.  

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

I don't know that phone companies make money on this; they just don't want to expend the $$$ to stop it.  Right now, even with legit phone systems, you can pretty much broadcast any caller id you want.  Supposedly, your telco limits the id you send out to one that is registered to you, but in my experience, this only works like 1 out of 5 times.  

Until they hack my contacts and the number comes up as someone I actually know, I will never answer. 

14 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Which goes to my earlier comment: fuck Ajit Pai. This dude could put the screws to telecoms to spend that money, but he doesn’t.  

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

I was getting about 4 calls a day for most this year, and then suddenly nothing for most of May/June. Started back up in July.

BUT.....I just received an email on Tuesday inviting me to join the illuminati. Once I get signed up, I imagine I can harness their influence to permanently resolve the issue.

We are The Illuminati.

Your disrespect will cost you dearly.

criminals don't give a fuck about another law, especially if they know they can't be tracked down. some shack cranking out calls in Pakistan isn't worried about new legislation fining them for calling me. if they get a 1% hit rate on their scam it is worth it. hell, maybe even way lower than that. I answer almost all calls i get and if it is a recording i hang up immediately. if it's someone with a really thick accent i either hang up or tell them to fuck off then hang up  

• Like 1

I realize that computerized auto dialing systems don't need much of a hit rate, but I can't understand why ANYONE would cooperate/do business with a spoofer. They tricked you into answering, but I am sure they can be trusted to clean your windows/inspect roof/etc. 

Also, the African calls in the middle of the night were apparently designed to get you to call back to the "900 number" pay per minute type deal. 

40 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This isn't uncommon.  Fucking disaster waiting to happen. 

Yep.  That was the point of my OP.  When my office is dialing me at 11:00 at night, I know it’s a spoof, but a lot of people wouldn’t.  

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  That was the point of my OP.  When my office is dialing me at 11:00 at night, I know it’s a spoof, but a lot of people wouldn’t.  

Yeah, I got it - I think Slorch just thinks this is referring to telemarketers?  LOL

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah, I got it - I think Slorch just thinks this is referring to telemarketers?  LOL

who else would it be?  people are just dying to visit with OP and his wife?

Lay out the pineapples, yo...

FTR- i am referring to any call where people are being nefarious and are not genuinely calling, as one of your friends/ family/ or coworkers would.  Fuck what reason/ methodology they have for calling.  It is bullshit interruption in life.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Apple needs to get with the program on this one.   Good use of AI by google.  

It's great inasmuch as it doesn't allow them to get to voicemail. 

I think you can download Google's assistant on an iphone. 

16 minutes ago, dcbc said:

It's great inasmuch as it doesn't allow them to get to voicemail. 

I think you can download Google's assistant on an iphone. 

I haven’t looked into it extensively but I think on an iPhone you would have to be using the google voice phone app to use screening, it won’t work with the native phone.  

10 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I haven’t looked into it extensively but I think on an iPhone you would have to be using the google voice phone app to use screening, it won’t work with the native phone.  

Ah, bummer.  Finally got the wife and older kid onto Pixels.  We are sans Apple at this point, save for the OG iPad that barely is hanging on. 

13 hours ago, wood said:

Help. How do I find this setting?

It's not automatic.  On my phone (Pixel 2), when I receive a call, I have three buttons---answer (green), end (red) and screen (assistant 3 dots).  If there is no contact name, I hit screen, and I get a bubble telling me what the assistant is saying to the caller.  Next, I get a real time transcription of what the caller is saying.  If it's a human, they'll say their name and why they're calling (I have the option to answer).  If it's a recording, I can hit (spam/block caller).  Assistant tells them to take me off their call list and hangs up on them.

To enable (if available on your android), go into the phone app, click the menu button -> Settings -> Call screening.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387?hl=en

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dcbc said:

It's not automatic.  On my phone (Pixel 2), when I receive a call, I have three buttons---answer (green), end (red) and screen (assistant 3 dots).  If there is no contact name, I hit screen, and I get a bubble telling me what the assistant is saying to the caller.  Next, I get a real time transcription of what the caller is saying.  If it's a human, they'll say their name and why they're calling (I have the option to answer).  If it's a recording, I can hit (spam/block caller).  Assistant tells them to take me off their call list and hangs up on them.

To enable (if available on your android), go into the phone app, click the menu button -> Settings -> Call screening.

https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387?hl=en

Thanks! Sounds great, but it looks like maybe it's not available on my phone.

• Like 1

the ones that are strange to me are the occasional voice mail that just pops up with no ring at all

just suddenly I have a new voice mail and the "call" (that never rang) is from just then as well

also I constantly get "Emily" that is checking in with me about that $250,000 business line of credit......for about 2 weeks the name changed once it was even a guy and now it is back to "Emily" again.....I mean after a while wouldn't you fucking give up and move on when you have never once done anything other than leave a voice mail

it is not like my mom that often answers the fucking calls and actually listens to the assholes and then starts explaining to them why she is not interested....I try and tell her mom when you engage these fuck heads you are just giving them an in that you are a number that answers random unknown calls and then actually listens to bullshit for longer than 2 seconds much less responds back to them....and you fucking wonder why they keep calling you