University of Texas Tuition Assistance

UTDD

Fucking awesome. One of the only places with the balls to help low income kids get educated stay out of debt. Wish they had this while I was in school, but I'm debt free because by grandparents saved to help me get through and they did Texas Tomorrow fund when I was born. Paid off big-time. 

Hook em!

From the UT announcement.  Great use of the PUF imo. 

https://news.utexas.edu/2019/07/09/regents-make-ut-austin-even-more-affordable-2/

“There is no greater engine of social and economic mobility than a college degree, and this initiative ensures that more Texans will benefit from a high-quality UT Austin education. The use of Permanent University Funds to invest directly in students demonstrates the strong commitment of the Board of Regents and UT Austin to the values of public higher education,” Chancellor Milliken said.

The Permanent University Fund includes money from oil and gas royalties earned on state-owned land in West Texas

It's just tuition and it's similar to programs other universities in Texas have. The good news if you're a Texas alum is that it matters enough to get extensive media coverage when it's the University of Texas. A&M and Tech have similar programs and Rice, although not public of course, instituted something similar recently.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

It's a full scholarship now? Covers everything? Tuition, r&b, books, etc? I thought it was just tuition.

My link was simply to note we already have a 4 page thread on the subject in case the OP and others were not aware. 

Yeah, saw this in the news and on the other thread, but will repeat -- this is fantastic.  This is exactly what the PUF should be used for, and is a very important move to make a major capital investment in our future economic growth as a state.  While we will remain an in-part resource-based economy for some time, human capital is one of our greatest resources.  Investing so as to maximize the value of that resource is an excellent decision.