The petty, wonderful and delightfully wierd rise of the Horns Down

GreenspointTexas

I could give a shit. Provided when a UT player celebrates he doesn't get a flag for it the other teams can put the Horns down all they want.

It is only when a UT player shows some emotion and gets a flag after all game some fucktard from OU has been doing Horns down all game with impunity that I get annoyed.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

I could give a shit. Provided when a UT player celebrates he doesn't get a flag for it the other teams can put the Horns down all they want.

It is only when a UT player shows some emotion and gets a flag after all game some fucktard from OU has been doing Horns down all game with impunity that I get annoyed.

This. I recall a player getting flagged for thumbs down against aggy when they'd been doing horns down the entire game. 

Why define yourself by who you're not?  It's dumb.  I've seen vehicles where someone went out and bought a Longhorns sticker and put it on their window upside down...boy, you really showed them...

I mean, I get it, every other big 12 fanbase is gonna flash the horn down when they score on UT or whatever (including mine) but OU's trophy case says they should be better than making it their sign.

Just because Oregon makes an "O" with their hands doesn't mean Oklahoma can't.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Has always seemed dumb as fuck to me.

So much other low hanging fruit exists with regard to rivalrous banter.

Also not a UT fan like you @slorch and feel the same way. Most schools around here do have people that use it, but I feel like it's a much bigger deal in Oklahoma. I guess because they don't have any hand signs like the old SWC schools.

What a great image by the way

image.png.bc6433d18082d3398b5a2b8b3b2c4a6e.png

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

This is a "F the offseason" article.

No real reason to flag it in itself. Now, running by the student section or the Texas bench doing it should be flagged just from a game management perspective.

"Throw it up, let 'em see it / So they can know how you G it / If they hatin', so be it!" -Bun B

Funny reading some of that shit. Anyone who was in Dallas during the 60’s and 70’s would agree that a Horn’s down gesture was the least of concerns coming from the OU fanbase. Shit, we used to throw fucking empty bottles at one another. And a good time was had by all.

• Like 3

I've always thought the horns down thing was fucking dumb as shit.

And yeah, there's about a million dipshit redneck OU fans in this state that have bought Texas stickers just so they can affix them upside down on the back window of their beat-to-shit 1979 Ford pickup.  I always thought that was peak sooner dip-shit-ery.  You literally gave your hated rival money just to show how much you hate them.  Way to go, moron.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Jesus fucking christ. It's like the entirety of sooner nation was distilled into one photo.  I bet this jagoff lives in a $40,000 house in Midwest City that's filled with about $50,000 worth of sooner memorabilia and fucking jerseys.  Nice fucking sleevless tee you dumb fucking rube.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

What schools would consider UT to be their main rival? OU and A&M (no matter what they say) for sure. What about Tech would they consider UT to be rival #1 or is it just all of the other P5 teams tied for first? TCU and BU have each other. oSu has OU and none of the schools north of Stillwater would consider UT to be #1.

Edited by SimonBolivar

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What schools would consider UT to be their main rival? OU and A&M (no matter what they say) for sure. What about Tech would they consider UT to be rival #1 or is it just all of the other P5 Teas teams tied for first? TCU and BU have each other. oSu has OU and none of the school north of Stillwater would consider UT to be #1.

Cougar High

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

What schools would consider UT to be their main rival? OU and A&M (no matter what they say) for sure. What about Tech would they consider UT to be rival #1 or is it just all of the other P5 Teas teams tied for first? TCU and BU have each other. oSu has OU and none of the school north of Stillwater would consider UT to be #1.

Dude, if you think Tech, UH, Rice, Baylor or TCU have anyone else ranked higher, you are out of your fucking mind. For that matter, I wouldn’t be shocked if Arkansas still views Texas as its biggest rival. I wouldn’t be shocked if Nebraska fans didn’t wind up there as well. Beyond that, I think the answers would actually surprise me. Probably something like UTEP, UTSA, SMU and Texas State - schools we don’t even think about but rather beat us than anyone else, if they had a shot to play us. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Would they consider UT more than Rice?

Yes, the same way TCU and Baylor would, if there were being honest. Think of "rival" as "you can only win one game on your schedule and you'll lose the rest" or "they're making a fictional football movie about you and you're the star QB who's going to win the National Championship game, who do you want to score the winning TD against in your heart of hearts?" 

By that rubric, we'd be the pick of OU, A&M, Arkansas, Tech, Baylor, TCU, and Houston. Probably Rice, maybe SMU. And then the tagalong programs in the state-- UTEP, UTSA, UNT, whoever the fuck, a couple of them probably picked us too.

Texas has one rival, Oklahoma. And we have two more opponents that it is (was) mortifying to lose to, A&M and Arkansas. After that, they're just different-sized ankle biters.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Dude, if you think Tech, UH, Rice, Baylor or TCU have anyone else ranked higher, you are out of your fucking mind. For that matter, I wouldn’t be shocked if Arkansas still views Texas as its biggest rival. I wouldn’t be shocked if Nebraska fans didn’t wind up there as well. Beyond that, I think the answers would actually surprise me. Probably something like UTEP, UTSA, SMU and Texas State - schools we don’t even think about but rather beat us than anyone else, if they had a shot to play us. 

I'm a Baylor grad (I know I know) and we certainly have TCU above UT right now. Hell on a personal level I would still have A&M #1, but that doesn't go for the full fan base (who I don't claim in public). It's all fluid and I'd wager the Briles nuts that blamed the BOMC for getting him fired would have UT #1.

Edited by SimonBolivar

34 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yes.  Texas is Tech's main rival, or the team we want to beat the worst.

Totally understand it isn't reciprocal.   Doesn't matter.

When aggy was Big XII, well still to this day; I hated them worse than anyone else... for much different reasoning.

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yes.  Texas is Tech's main rival, or the team we want to beat the worst.

Totally understand it isn't reciprocal.   Doesn't matter.

When aggy was Big XII, well still to this day; I hated them worse than anyone else... for much different reasoning.

Man... nothing was better than when Leach was at Tech and they would crush Aggy's dreams EVERY. FUCKING. YEAR.  So great.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hamttx said:

Funny reading some of that shit. Anyone who was in Dallas during the 60’s and 70’s would agree that a Horn’s down gesture was the least of concerns coming from the OU fanbase. Shit, we used to throw fucking empty bottles at one another. And a good time was had by all.

I accidentally dropped a metal trash can full of confetti out of our Adolphus suite’s 10th floor window late on the Friday night of the OU game in 1963. We leaned out and watched it hit the portico/marquee overhang with a huge “CLANG”, which made the soldid mass of drunken humanity instantly part like the Red/Burnt Orange Sea before falling harmlessly to the pavement.

Hotel security showed up about 10 minutes later, but nobody knew nuthin’.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GoldAppleCorps said:

This is a "F the offseason" article.

No real reason to flag it in itself. Now, running by the student section or the Texas bench doing it should be flagged just from a game management perspective.

Well, if it isn't the definition of taunting, I don't know what is. If you don't call horns down, you can't call anything.

This guy is the quintessential Sooner fan.

Classless piece of shit? Check

Beer belly and clogged arteries? Check

Sleeveless white trash shirt? Check

Bad (most likely meth-fueled) tats? Check

Triple chin? Check

Deep-seated penis envy? Check

Never taken a college course in his life? Check

Pan the camera down and I have no doubt this genius is also wearing jorts. This picture should become more widely circulated than the one of the face-painted retarded Sooner fan. (I know that isn't a very specific description.) BOOMER!

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Well, if it isn't the definition of taunting, I don't know what is. If you don't call horns down, you can't call anything.

This guy is the quintessential Sooner fan.

Classless piece of shit? Check

Beer belly and clogged arteries? Check

Sleeveless white trash shirt? Check

Bad (most likely meth-fueled) tats? Check

Triple chin? Check

Deep-seated penis envy? Check

Never taken a college course in his life? Check

Pan the camera down and I have no doubt this genius is also wearing jorts. This picture should become more widely circulated than the one of the face-painted retarded Sooner fan. (I know that isn't a very specific description.) BOOMER!

spacer.png

That pic ranks right up there with the milkmen cheerleaders.

29 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Man, I really miss having crazy Uncle Mike in the Big 12.

It was great playing Wazzu in the Alamo Bowl just to hear Mike go off on Iowans loving Iowa and having to tell you all about it.  Solid fucking gold.

Edited by SnowAggy

33 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

No offense @SimonBolivar but there's no way I'd believe Baylor considers TCU more of a rival than TX - even before Briles.

that's down to how you define it-- I believe all but a small percentage of Baylor fans would rather beat Texas in any given year. They might spend more time thinking about TCU, or comparing themselves to TCU, but in the "you can only win one game in 2019" scenario, it's us. 

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

No offense @SimonBolivar but there's no way I'd believe Baylor considers TCU more of a rival than TX - even before Briles.

Maybe I've spent more time around y'all and lost touch. It's a distinct possibility as I spend about 100x as much time on here as any BU message board.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Also not a UT fan like you @slorch and feel the same way. Most schools around here do have people that use it, but I feel like it's a much bigger deal in Oklahoma. I guess because they don't have any hand signs like the old SWC schools.

Was pretty sure he had amputated arms for a second. On second glance, I realize he's just weird looking, but indeed the character in the picture behind him appears to have amputated arms

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Speaking of Rice I would guess that academically UT is their biggest rival and athletically it comes down to UT or UH.

Rice grad here (undergrad....UT for MBA).  Rice sees UH as it's biggest rival in all sports except for baseball.  UT is its biggest rival in baseball, after some epic battles, including in Omaha, the past 20 years.  

Academically. Rice considers Duke, Vandy, and the ivies its main rivals.  ...and enjoys hilarious belly laughs at the quality of UH's academics.