The petty, wonderful and delightfully wierd rise of the Horns Down

GreenspointTexas

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

It's dead-on-balls-accurate.  UNL and aggy are, without a doubt, the biggest sandy vagina programs out there.   I guess that's what happens to Texas' bitches. 

The irony of a Nebraska fan accusing me of kowtowing to Texas (as I'm pitching a losing argument that horns down isn't a big deal) while they've spent the last decade raking in partial shares (and less revenue than ISU) to be Ohio State and Michigan's lap dog is incredibly rich.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The irony of a Nebraska fan accusing me of kowtowing to Texas (as I'm pitching a losing argument that horns down isn't a big deal) while they've spent the last decade raking in partial shares (and less revenue than ISU) to be Ohio State and Michigan's lap dog is incredibly rich.

Horns down isn't a big deal.

But it should give us 15 free yards everytime an opposing player does it. Sportsmanship and justice demand this taunting give us free yards. That is all I am saying.

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

But it should give us 15 free yards everytime an opposing player does it. Sportsmanship and justice demand this taunting give us free yards. That is all I am saying.

I have no problem with a consistent enforcement from the officials.  Just make a clear rule, and enforce it consistently.  Just make a rule that inverted hand signals on the field of play are taunting, and a 15 yard penalty.  Shouldn't be that difficult to manage from there.

4 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

This horns down thing is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've heard from college football in the last few years, but damn if it isn't getting more gotdamn funny by the second listening to all the fucking burnt orange whine about it.

Not whining about it.  Just calling those who do it trashy assholes.  Root for your own loser team.  More better?

Yeah, this wasn't even a thing that got talked about until Mike Davis was penalized 15 yards for holstering his guns in Lubbock in 2012.

Then the media proceeded to get everything wrong as they tend to do when Mack Brown, rightfully, stated that if that's a penalty then the horns down should be a penalty. It's really pretty simple. Either it's all a penalty or none of it is a penalty. Texas spent 60 years not complaining about the horns down gestures from opponents until the moment we were flagged for doing the same thing to another team. There's literally no intelligent argument that can be made to contradict what Brown said then and what we're saying now.

Call it the same both ways. That's it. I don't care which way they decide to do it, just enforce it equally.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

There's literally no intelligent argument that can be made to contradict what Brown said then and what we're saying now...

Think you answered your own question there.  Consider the audience.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, this wasn't even a thing that got talked about until Mike Davis was penalized 15 yards for holstering his guns in Lubbock in 2012.

Then the media proceeded to get everything wrong as they tend to do when Mack Brown, rightfully, stated that if that's a penalty then the horns down should be a penalty. It's really pretty simple. Either it's all a penalty or none of it is a penalty. Texas spent 60 years not complaining about the horns down gestures from opponents until the moment we were flagged for doing the same thing to another team. There's literally no intelligent argument that can be made to contradict what Brown said then and what we're saying now.

Call it the same both ways. That's it. I don't care which way they decide to do it, just enforce it equally.

yeah, i remember that and i remember roy williams getting 15 yards for the fucking horns up. 

i think that justifies many of our fanbase assumptions on the slanted field of officiating in the big xii. horns down with impunity for years and years, then we get flagged for guns down and horns up. 

wtf

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

agreed.  if chris nelson rubbing his belly after a sack is a 15-yd penalty, then by god anyone doing the horns down after a sack should be a 15-yd penalty.  the fact that it has to be directed at someone to be a penalty is ludicrous.  

Was anybody else there when the Arkansas trumpet player threw the horns down alone at center court during halftime of that NCAA tournament Arkansas vs. Syracuse game at the Erwin center? Like 1993 or so. In my memory from childhood, the place felt like a prison riot after he did it.

Horns down is trashy and is textbook taunting. It should draw a flag every time. Other than that, it doesn't bother me at all, because it's a colossally stupid gesture. A bull/steer with horns down is about to fuck someone up. We'd see it a lot less often if more of our fans had that attitude. 

Horns down also tends to fire up the team when the game is still within reach, or for the next time we play them. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I have no problem with a consistent enforcement from the officials.  Just make a clear rule, and enforce it consistently.  Just make a rule that inverted hand signals on the field of play are taunting, and a 15 yard penalty.  Shouldn't be that difficult to manage from there.

I just figure if the rule is "taunting" well why the hell else would you reverse the symbols of your opponents but to taunt them? I would like a referee to explain how taunting is not a taunting penalty or at least what exactly is a taunting penalty because, as you say, it is the one of the most random and arbitrary things in the rule book.

In any case I want our coaching staff raising hell every time an opponent does it for two reasons: 1. to acquire 15 free yards. 2. to make the refs think everytime they consider throwing a taunting flag on us if they are not flagging for horns down. Horns down provides us with a great advantage that should be leveraged.

If a player flipped the bird at the opposing team’s crowd, it would be a flag. How is an OU (or someone less trashy) player flashing horns down at UT fans any different? Maybe our players can start taking dumps on a wigwam and peace pipe after every touchdown? How does one exhibit an “incest down” hand sign?

9 hours ago, Judge Elihu Smails said:

Does anyone know why WV players went apeshit in Austin last year with the horns down penalties?  Did something happen in the game?

It's not frustration from the horns being 'dominant' I'm guessing since West Virginia has a 4-1 record in Austin.  Just curious.

Clever girl. 

Its because we’re Texas, even when we aren’t. 

19 hours ago, Jester’s Inn said:

All predators when protecting their domain, do horns down when fighting. Elk, big horn sheep, rams, buffalos,  mule deer and especially longhorns.  Just ask uga.  Take it as a compliment and know the ones that are doing it are just afraid like a Jr high school girl. 

Like West Virginia was?

• Fuck You 3

On 7/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, Judge Elihu Smails said:

Does anyone know why WV players went apeshit in Austin last year with the horns down penalties? 

They're hillbilly trash and will be left out of the next conference alignment as a result.

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

They're hillbilly trash and will be left out of the next conference alignment as a result.

They definitely are hillbillys...but aren't they the 3rd best Big XII FB team since they joined?  Also, both 'horns down' offenders (Grier and Sills V) were neither WV natives or original WV recruits.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not surprised. It’s the only road trip where Iowans can have a feeling of intellectual superiority. 

Good point.  We're nothing if not complete mouth breathers.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

https://247wallst.com/special-report/2018/09/07/most-and-least-literate-states/

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 11:07 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Jesus fucking christ. It's like the entirety of sooner nation was distilled into one photo.  I bet this jagoff lives in a $40,000 house in Midwest City that's filled with about $50,000 worth of sooner memorabilia and fucking jerseys.  Nice fucking sleevless tee you dumb fucking rube.

His letterman jacket was at the cleaners.

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, NOMAAA said:

i would like to see thumbs down become a thing in the sec.  bigly.

The problem is that it's not nearly as iconically tied to Aggy.  I would "thumbs down" them in Ames, but no one really got it that "thumbs up" was their thing, being as it's so fucking universal.