What is Your Favorite Football or Sports Autograph? Here are Mine.

TreatyOak

When COTA first opened, we provided medical coverage (for the drivers) at the Emergency Department that is there on site. The second year, Mario Andretti came by the building for what was supposed to be a quick meet and greet to the medical providers. Pretty sure he was there for around a half hr. after taking pictures with all the medical staff. Some fan had given me a racing team hat and though we weren't supposed to ask, I grabbed it and asked for an autograph. Pretty much unreadable, but it is still cool to have Super Mario's sig.

Years ago when I worked in Tacoma Wa., we covered all the events in the Tacoma Dome. Got Chris Shiver's autograph a few years after he won PBR World Champion Bull Rider. 

• Like 1

Myself, my wife and our then 1yr old daughter ran in to Coach Royal and Mrs. Royal at Cisco’s one morning- As they were finishing, I FINALLY got the guts to say something to them. I think I said something goofy like, “Good morning, Coach” or some such.

Anyway, he starts up a convo- I ask for an autograph and next thing you know, Miss Edith is playing with our daughter.  I have a pic of my wife and Coach Royal holding our daughter in Cisco’s...I mean can you get any more “Texan”? 

That might be my most prized piece of memorabilia 

• Like 3

I have a note from Tom Izzo, which he gave to my son. Izzo was scouting a player from our HS and my son had abandoned his family at a HS choir concert and snuck into the HS gym across the hall to watch the hoops game.
I was plenty pissed, he was in the 7th grade at the time and said he had to go to the bathroom ... and he never came back. He shows up just as we are walking out of the concert and I ask him where the heck he'd been (having to talk as nicely and politely as I could muster since we were still in the school and it was crowded). Anyway he said he went to the basketball game, saw Izzo sitting by himself, in the visitors bleachers; so he went over and sat with him and talked to him for a while. 
I called bullshit on his story - so Wally shithead pulls out his flip phone and shows me a photo of him and Izzo (grainy but you could tell), and then shows me the note - and then shows the 2nd note that he got for his little brother. I've seen Izzo since and told him that he was my sons get out of jail card that night.

I'll look for the note and see if I can find the photo later tonight......and the kid he was scouting ended up going to UM, a sad ending to the story (especially for that kid)

• Like 1

My dad was trying to get to his plane, parked at Love Field in Dallas, in a hurry to get back to Kerrville for my 8th grade football game vs Uvalde. I’d been pretty depressed because I’d sprained my wrist, two weeks prior, and had to sit out on full game, and had limited playing time in another. I was also upset because my dad commuted, via his airplane from Houston to Kerrville, and I was always worried about him. I also just wanted him there to watch me (he typically was). It was to be my first game back starting, and I was worried that I’d be placed on B team (nothing wrong with that). But I just really wanted to play in front of my dad again.

Dad had had a meeting with Roger in his office earlier that morning, and had mentioned my plight. Roger told my father to swing back by the office after he’d filed his flight plan, and interrupt whatever Roger was doing at the time because he had something for me. My dad left his rent car running, hopped on the elevator, walked into Roger’s office lobby, and saw that Roger was in the boardroom with a metric fuckton of people. Not only did Roger see my dad and stop the meeting. He walked out with a signed LOI for a deal that he and Dad had been working on, and then literally ran down the hallway to his office to give my dad this, “saying, give this to Homesick, and call me tonight after his game, I want to know how he does his first game back”.

My dad made the game, and when we got home, told me how good of a game I’d played, and then explained the story of how Roger walked out of the meeting to give him this. .

3893496a73c08968a2937e2f85bf0ce2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

On 7/13/2019 at 3:29 PM, msucolt45 said:

My Dad played for the Horns (60-63) and he invited my son and I to the “breakfast with the Horns” prior to the Baylor game in ‘08.

Prior to arriving, I bought my son a UT autograph book, and when we entered the field house for b-fast, my dad immediately saw some old teammates in an area and went over to that area of tables. My son and I in the buffet line, I tell him to go get autographs of some Longhorns. He’s a 9 yr old and comes back to me frustrated, so I ask him why? He said he didn’t see any Longhorns - he thought we were having b-fast with the current team!

I asked to go find his grandpa and get the autographs of all at his grandpa’s table - including Tommy Nobis, Tommy Ford, David McWilliams, and Ed Padgett (enshrined into the Ring of Honor that day). Upon arriving with our food, I asked how many autographs did you get? He said None as I looked at that seated table, so I asked why not these and he said they were just a bunch of old guys!!!! They all laughed, which I promptly sent his book around the table to be signed!

The only person he was glad to get was Roger Clemens, who signed his “football” book of autographs.

I am absolutely Green with envy...

So how'd you do?

I actually had one of the best games of that year. We accidentally won. This was when I still played quarterback. That came to an end sophomore year when everyone but me realized I was too short to play qb, and moved me to safety (not really a csb, but that football still sits on my mantle).

Chuck Yeager signed the wing of a pretty big model F-4 Phantom that I built in the 6th grade too. It’s in Kerrville, but it says, “Homesick, never stop climbing for the stars, Chuck Yeager”. That’s pretty badass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have a baseball signed by Brooks Robinson that I had Cal Ripken, Jr.  sign a few years later.  Mickey Tettleton was sitting next to Ripken at the autograph table  He took it from Ripken and pretended that he was about to sign it as well.  He just grinned and handed it back.