Big XII Football Media Days - 07/15-07/16 - Jerry World

El Diablo

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Having a guaranteed rematch between the two best teams is no more stupid than having a 7-5 division winner in position to knock the league out of the playoffs.  I initially thought the CCG was absolutely idiotic, and I guess it is, but they all are when you think about it.  In every 12+ team league (save the god awful Pac 12), there is generally significant imbalance between divisions and this creates a scenario where the CCG is either a pointless blow out, or a potential land mine for the best team.  If you have a situation where Texas and OU enter at 11-1 and 12-0 (completely plausible this year) you have the shot for two Big 12 teams to go to the playoffs.

It may be pointless and redundant, but it's a lot more fucking entertaining than watching Clemson mud hole a 6 win Pitt squad in a half empty stadium.

That's all fine and well, but I don't like playing OU twice and I'm guessing many on this board share that sentiment. It waters down the rivalry and I think it's dumb that in a situation where a 1 loss Texas/OU winner needs to win the CCG to make the playoff you are asking them to beat their most hated rival - in one of the most hated rivalries in all of college sports - twice in one season. (so yes - I thought it was dumb last year - not that I didn't want to beat the cocksuckers twice)

Change the teams if you want. TCU/ISU, Tech/OU, Texas/WVU - it's dumb any way you slice it. Sure you avoid boring CCGs but you guarantee a rematch outside of a playoff setting that has the potential to fuck the conference out of the playoffs. 

With a division-winner championship game (because no championship game apparently isn't an answer according to the CFP) you have the chance to either play a team you haven't yet, rematch a non-rival for a playoff spot, or take care of business against a lesser team to strengthen your CFP resume. You say it's no more stupid, but how many 7-5 division winners are ever really in a spot to knock the conference out of the playoffs? 

Look at the 15 BXII CGs from '96-'10 and you get:

• 12/15 ranked matchups
  • Just 3/12 ranked-upsets in those matchups
  • 2 ass-blastings of non-ranked CU teams in '04 and '05 (not OU and UT's fault that the North was dogshit those seasons)
  • Only ONE Cinderella upset that potentially cost the conference an MNC (ask @mulletpelini)
  • In the 4 upsets where the lower-ranked team won, using the AP Poll as a guideline for CFP:
    • Nebraska in 1996 fell to 6th in the AP - but was a 2 loss team ranked behind 2 undefeateds and 3 1 loss teams
    • CU gets in in 2001 after jumping to #4 in the AP after beating Texas, then #3 in the AP the following week
    • OU still gets in in 2003 as #3 in the AP despite getting ass-blasted by a 3 loss K-State team in the CCG
    • OU gets in in 2007 as #3 in the AP after beating #1 ranked Missouri in the CCG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

No, they just aren't thinking about what other people are predicting. Standard coachspeak.

Yeah, I took it to mean they would crumble if they thought they weren't meeting expectations in the past.  Now they're more resilient mentally. And focused.  Something like that.  Campbell's not big on faux disrespect.  I mean, we're picked third behind teams he's beaten once combined for chrissakes.  That's not disrespect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eugene11 said:

I like this idea

I could go for that as long as it doesn't apply to grad transfers.  They should be eligible immediately.  Frankly, I don't even like the BS part about having to be in a program the undergrad school doesn't offer.  If you got the sheepskin, you should be a free agent.

• Like 3