Just bought a gallon of West Virginia shine.

Apple pie is a great option. Moonshine cherries (a quart of maraschino cherries, drain 3/4 the liquid and refill) are stealth panty droppers. OR you could buy a small oak cask off ebay and age it (patience Grasshopper), but it's hard to find charred ones.

I may or may not have a friend that owns a still and cooks off a few gallons now and then which would be highly illegal and very cool.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQk0h-tRggap6Jna6Ug3

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

Having sampled many varietals on my two trips to the Blue Lot in Morgantown.  I would recommend apple along with the others.  Peach and cherry are also pretty damn good and had a pretty decent blueberry.  That said the one that knocked my songs off was some dude who had whipped up some chocolate cream pie tasting stuff (don't worry it still stung) . I have no fucking idea how we did that.

• Like 1

Making just enough for personal consumption. That's not legal?
100% illegal. There's kind of an unwritten rule on boiler size, basically if your still boiler is under 25 gallons and you don't sell your stuff then nobody will fuck with you. If for some reason you do get busted, at worst they'll make you destroy your still but that's about it.

If I remember correctly it's legal in many states to own a still, but you just can't make spirits without a distiller's license.

Or so I've heard.

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Having sampled many varietals on my two trips to the Blue Lot in Morgantown.  I would recommend apple along with the others.  Peach and cherry are also pretty damn good and had a pretty decent blueberry.  That said the one that knocked my songs off was some dude who had whipped up some chocolate cream pie tasting stuff (don't worry it still stung) . I have no fucking idea how we did that.

Apple, cherry, and peach were what I was thinking already. I suppose that'll be the way I do it.  And yeah, I can feel it on my lips.

18 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

The things we allow politicians to say we can or cannot do is mind blowing.  

come on man, you know the reason why its illegal, it has nothing to do with drugs or anything, its a straight revenue issue.

The gov't wants their piece of the taxes that should be paid on the moonshine. 

The Shiners dont want to pay taxes, hence illegal- not because distilling spirits is illegal, but selling without a license is.

38 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

come on man, you know the reason why its illegal, it has nothing to do with drugs or anything, its a straight revenue issue.

The gov't wants their piece of the taxes that should be paid on the moonshine. 

The Shiners dont want to pay taxes, hence illegal- not because distilling spirits is illegal, but selling without a license is.

This.  It's literally one of the things we've been debating in this country since the founding. George Washington led an army into PA to fuck up some distilleries who were resisting taxation and talking rebellion.  They wisely stood down and went home.

9 hours ago, JoseMedinaDeJesus said:

spacer.png

It just arrived in town and I poured it off into pints. The old man says it's 100 proof. I just had my first glass.  I believe him.  It is also much, much better tasting than I had anticipated.  I probably won't be candying this up.

Shake it and look at the bubbles.