Generic Brands

Landomatic

39 minutes ago, futureman said:

seems like there would have to be some benefit to the store for purchasing their brand.  otherwise what’s the point?

kroger sells springdale milk as a loss leader.  people go in for milk, because people know what the price of milk is off the top of their heads.  then they buy limes at double the price of HEB, cuz they might as well. 

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

kroger sells springdale milk as a loss leader.  people go in for milk, because people know what the price of milk is off the top of their heads.  then they buy limes at double the price of HEB, cuz they might as well. 

interesting.  I guess this is why Randall’s sells gallons for $1.99

The  HEB thread  has plenty of comments on generic stuff  if you truly want to call it generic. 

Every time I go to HEB, I tend to find myself buying more HEB brand vs the national brands.   This would include ice cream,  canned items like beans and corn,  K-cup coffee ( Texas Pecan is the Bomb) , zero calorie cokes among food items.  And trash bags, foil, paper towels  etc on the non food stuff.   It's  cheaper, if not better than the national brands.    A 12 pack of zero calorie sodas are $2.98 vs Coke Zero which is $4.98.   From what I've compared, you probably save a good 15% to 50% on HEB stuff vs the national brands for the same  quantity  and even better quality.   Plus HEB tries to manufacture most of their store brand stuff here in Texas which is a double plus in my book.  

BTW when I think of generic, this what comes to mind..    Yea HEB back in the 80's had a whole section of the white and black label stuff including beer with cans that just said beer on them.   LOL that was before my alcohol consumption days so never tried , but I recall seeing them.

Edited by Nueces River Rat

On 7/13/2019 at 8:30 PM, Gil Bang said:

I’m generally fine with generics.

Meanwhile, I was fucking this blonde milf that owned a coffee stand along a busy highway. She made a lot of money.

Anyway, after a couple of months i asked her out to dinner. She said I’d love to see you but I’m too tired to go out. Maybe bring takeout? After going back and forth, we agreed that I would make dinner at her place. I text from the supermarket neat her place: do you need anything. She tells me to pick up Q-tips

The large container of generic storebrand Q-tips were on sale so that’s what I bought.

Oh shit, she was not happy. I was informed, in no uncertain terms, that generics we’re not acceptable when it came to anything to do with female make up, or feminine hygiene products

She's right re:Q-tips.  Generic are like wispy bits of cotton on flimsy plastic straws. They're useful for next to nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

BTW when I think of generic, this what comes to mind..    Yea HEB back in the 80's had a whole section of the white and black label stuff including beer with cans that just said beer on them.   LOL that was before my alcohol consumption days so never tried , but I recall seeing them.

Pearl supposedly did the generic beer for HEB back in the day. 

21 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I worked a brief stint in management at HEB (when it was open) there are approximately 200 employees at each store. The employees were the guinea pigs for each new product that was introduced. If 10% said a product wasn't satisfactory they tweaked the recipe. If it still wasn't good enough to get everyone on board, then they scrapped the product. The big product that came through when I was there were the fully cooked flame grilled frozen hamburger patties. Those fuckers are legit. HEB knows what they are doing, all of their house brands are pretty badass.

CHIEF

If what-a-burger would sell their buns to match with the HEB frozen burgers there would be no need for 2am Uber drive through trips. 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

Kroger is terribad at the hi-low game and are continually getting their asses driven in the Houston market.

people shop the flash sales and GTFO.

meanwhile shoppers  get household goods and everyday items at DG, Target, or...HEB.

Edited by slorch

I'm all for store brand generics, as well.  For most items, they're often just as good.  Why buy Clorox disinfectant wipes when I can get the same HEB/Target/whatever brand for less?  Trader Joe's also wins on generics... you'll see tons of articles out there of people trying to figure out, "who reallly makes this?"

Case in point:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/these-are-the-real-brands-behind-your-favorite-trader-joes-snacks.html/

On 7/15/2019 at 1:05 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

The  HEB thread  has plenty of comments on generic stuff  if you truly want to call it generic. 

Every time I go to HEB, I tend to find myself buying more HEB brand vs the national brands.   This would include ice cream,  canned items like beans and corn,  K-cup coffee ( Texas Pecan is the Bomb) , zero calorie cokes among food items.  And trash bags, foil, paper towels  etc on the non food stuff.   It's  cheaper, if not better than the national brands.    A 12 pack of zero calorie sodas are $2.98 vs Coke Zero which is $4.98.   From what I've compared, you probably save a good 15% to 50% on HEB stuff vs the national brands for the same  quantity  and even better quality.   Plus HEB tries to manufacture most of their store brand stuff here in Texas which is a double plus in my book.  

18 hours ago, After irth said:

Pearl supposedly did the generic beer for HEB back in the day. 

5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Bought a sixer of these (or something similar) years back.  

beer_7987

Yep, it was Pearl.  35 years ago, I open up my grandpa's fridge and see a sixer of that.  I ask him what the hell it was -- "hell, boy -- it's PEARL!"

We drank some.  It was Pearl.

Wish I still had a few cans.

Depends on what you're buying. For instance, something like albacore tuna in water? Buy the cheapest shit. I highly doubt they have some sort of master tuna grader sending the good shit to starkist and the bad shit to hill country fare. But sandwich bread? The HCF shit smells like formaldehyde. HCF pasta salad and cole slaw and shit is wretched. Their fajitas are terrible, but HEB's Mi Cocina brand are awesome. 

Some of these posts reminds me of the Urban Legends you'd hear growing up, as in:

"Keystone Light is really just the bottom of the beer vats of Coors Light, it's the same thing just the left overs!" (another version was that Keystone Light was the mopped up waste of Coors Light, which is more damning).

and

"the Premium/Mid-grade gas is just regular gas, it all comes out of the same silo/barrel!"

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Some of these posts reminds me of the Urban Legends you'd hear growing up, as in:

"Keystone Light is really just the bottom of the beer vats of Coors Light, it's the same thing just the left overs!"

Not an urban legend. Coors is never going to publicly admit that yeah, that can of keystone light and that can of coors light you're holding probably came from the same tank due to multi level branding.

5 hours ago, Rougarou said:

"the Premium/Mid-grade gas is just regular gas, it all comes out of the same silo/barrel!"

Around here, Regular is 87 Octane.  Plus is 89 Octane.  Premium is 93 Octane.

Are you saying they're adding octane booster to the 87 at the pump.  Often the 93 octane is advertised as having additives (Techron).  My understanding is that there are separate tanks for 87 and 93.

Of course, if your car runs on 87, you do not benefit from running 93 unless you're planning on letting the gas sit in the tank for months on end, during which time, its octane value will diminish.  But if you have a car that recommends or requires 93 octane, and you feed it 87 or 89 octane, it will run, but your vehicle's computer will retard timing to prevent predetonation, resulting in poorer performance and fuel efficiency.

If you're saying all of these fuel types are exactly the same, you're simply incorrect.

Or maybe you were kidding? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Technically, the middle grade is mixed on demand from the premium and regular tanks since there is no middle grade tank. 

This.  2:1 (87:93) to get 89 Octane.