Parts of New York City without power.

Rip76

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

All I know is that we have our own power grid in Texas.  This alone makes us a superior race.

Not all of Texas. Unfortunately Lubbock just connected to our grid but at least Beaumont isn't on it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rip76 said:

People stuck in elevators.  F That.

When I was a youngster, my family was vacationing at S. Padre Island and some drunk took out a utility pole resulting in the entire island being blacked out. No AC, people stuck in elevators, all restaurants and stores closed. I don't remember how long it lasted but it seemed like it was for at least a day. Everybody tried to get the fuck out and the traffic on the bridge was completely backed up to a standstill for hours.

It was Hell On Earth.

• Like 1

So I was in NYC this weekend staying at the marriott marquis there in Times Square. I was in the rotating restaurant on the 48th floor when the power went out (had to walk down 48 flights of stairs to get down. At least I wasn’t stuck in the elevator.) Streets were jam packed with hotel guests & theatre goers. Blackout only seemed to hit the western part of midtown. All the broadway shows were cancelled. It only lasted a couple hours though, pretty remarkable how calm the overall atmosphere was the whole time. It being a Saturday night probably helped

On July 14, 2019 at 10:19 PM, Helobious said:

So I was in NYC this weekend staying at the marriott marquis there in Times Square. I was in the rotating restaurant on the 48th floor when the power went out (had to walk down 48 flights of stairs to get down. At least I wasn’t stuck in the elevator.) Streets were jam packed with hotel guests & theatre goers. Blackout only seemed to hit the western part of midtown. All the broadway shows were cancelled. It only lasted a couple hours though, pretty remarkable how calm the overall atmosphere was the whole time. It being a Saturday night probably helped

The videos of the Broadway casts performing in the street were really cool.