Texas football has a writer at The Athletic now, Kaelen Jones

Machinator

Good.  Always wondered how Texas didn't have it's own writer and some of those other schools didn't.

Also yes, the Athletic is by far the best sports site going right now.

Edited by Drew

• 1 month later...

The Athletic is great. I’ve never paid for any other site but got on board with The Athletic from the get-go and have really enjoyed it....even before they finally expanded to a Texas beat writer. If you’ve been on the fence about trying, you really should give it a chance - all content with no ESPN bullshit pop up ads or videos.

• 9 months later...

damn.. he just had a cup of coffee and now he's gone.. 

BTW I was actually looking forward to him on the summer circuit previewing Texas Football.  He did a segment with RJ Young last summer and the guy was lost when talking about certain players on the roster.  Was wanting to hear what he felt about the team a year in.

Edited by Thiefery

They are probably retrenching, the same as a lot of other media outlets. I personally would think that along with Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Michigan, the traffic and interest generated by a Texas beat writer would pay for the writer, but maybe not.

It probably doesn't help that any Texas fan paying attention isn't willing to subscribe and underwrite Texags. I cancelled my subscription the minute that shit was announced, and I bet I was one of the first thousand subscribers when the site launched. 

• Like 3

Even though I have a subscription to the Athletic that runs through the end of the year, I have boycotted them because of their anti-Astros bias and for glorifying that fucking rat piece of shit Mike Fiers. I hope they go under. Fuck Evan Drellich too.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

50 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Even though I have a subscription to the Athletic that runs through the end of the year, I have boycotted them because of their anti-Astros bias and for glorifying that fucking rat piece of shit Mike Fiers. I hope they go under. Fuck Evan Drellich too.

source.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well shit that sucks.

But not surprising since quite a few of you flat out boycotted The Athletic because they were associated with aggy...which was a very aggy thing to do in the first place.

5 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You just love everything that's corrupt and oppressive and absolutely hate justice and liberty. It's like the mold was accidentally flipped upside down when your personality was being created. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Drew said:

But not surprising since quite a few of you flat out boycotted The Athletic because they were associated with aggy...which was a very aggy thing to do in the first place.

It is not "aggy" to refuse to patronize i.e., give money to an ostensibly impartial news source that republishes material from Texags.com. You either don't understand what Texags.com is, or you don't understand how that alignment flat-out contradicts how The All-American was marketed when it launched. 

• Like 3

They made a comment that is true about the astros cheating and it pissed you off?
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, markstanco said:
20 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

They made a comment that is true about the astros cheating and it pissed you off?

Astros should move to the SEC. They'd be right at home there.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Anti Astros bias. 

LOL.

You hope the entire company goes under because some people said some mean things about your favorite baseball team? Are you 12? What a god damn snowflake. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TornACL said:

Anti Astros bias. 

LOL.

You hope the entire company goes under because some people said some mean things about your favorite baseball team? Are you 12? What a god damn snowflake. 

I have an issue with an outfit that glorifies a stinking rat traitor propped up by a fuckface reporter with a grudge. Also they’re partners with Texags. If they last, they’ll go the SI or Deadspin route and have freelancers getting paid $50 an article soon. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

It is not "aggy" to refuse to patronize i.e., give money to an ostensibly impartial news source that republishes material from Texags.com. You either don't understand what Texags.com is, or you don't understand how that alignment flat-out contradicts how The All-American was marketed when it launched. 

Maybe, oh I don't know...don't frequent the parts of the site that talk aggy.  I don't.

But their Cowboys, Mavs and national coverage is second to none.  I'm sorry if having some type of association with aggy is all it takes to make you not read a great site otherwise.

44 minutes ago, Drew said:

Maybe, oh I don't know...don't frequent the parts of the site that talk aggy.  I don't.

But their Cowboys, Mavs and national coverage is second to none.  I'm sorry if having some type of association with aggy is all it takes to make you not read a great site otherwise.

This for me too.  I don't care about/don't read their aggy stuff.  I've been a subscriber since they launched (and prior to their later expansion to include team specific beat writers).  If you have boycotted them due to the source they use for a team you shouldn't care all that much about reading, you have unfortunately been missing out on some of the best coverage out there (and in the least obnoxious, no ads, pop-ups bullshit format possible).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

I have an issue with an outfit that glorifies a stinking rat traitor propped up by a fuckface reporter with a grudge. Also they’re partners with Texags. If they last, they’ll go the SI or Deadspin route and have freelancers getting paid $50 an article soon. 

So I was right. You ARE 12.

• Haha 1

Probably let go because of the pandemic and a loss of revenue due to things outside everyone's control. I hear the AAS recently let go of one of their sports reporters, maybe they can let go of Bohls too. Hell, Burton could fire Brown and replace him with this guy too.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...