PSA: Phoenix fucking sucks

XYZ

On 7/17/2019 at 9:58 PM, HeHateMe said:

Danny is serving steaks there tonight to a small group, probably getting the new crew up to speed. A good friend of mine is there and I’m jealous as fuck.

Haha, love DG!  I'll probably fly in for the friends/family stuff they'll get going later in the summer.  Shoot me a PM if you want an invite.  

On 7/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, HeHateMe said:

Listen to this man, he’s post med.  Love living in Scottsdale.  250 days a year of perfect weather, better than average culinary scene (getting better every year), hot ass EVERYWHERE with no winter weight,  more golf per square mile than anywhere in the world, all 4 major professional sports, no natural disasters, manageable traffic, reasonable cost of living... yep it sucks.  So much good going on makes it worth 100 days of hot.

Yeah, yeah, but you've got that valley death fungus thing to deal with...

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Yeah, yeah, but you've got that valley death fungus thing to deal with...

We are all going to die.  Might as well die surrounded by hot pieces of ass.  That being said, valley fever doesn’t really kill people, but it can get to animals.  My condolences Butch, hope your dog pulls through.

Lowest “low” forecasted for Phoenix for the next 10 days: 88.

And “dry heat” my ass. When it’s 115 and your car has been parked in the sun for a few hours, “dry” doesn’t matter.

Whatever. I spent 33 summers in Texas. Been here off and on since 98. I’ll take the Phoenix summer over the humid ass miserable Texas summer all day long.

Focusing on the summer in Phoenix is missing the point though. So what, it’s hot for 3 months. The other 9 are the reason you live here.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Lowest “low” forecasted for Phoenix for the next 10 days: 88.

And “dry heat” my ass. When it’s 115 and your car has been parked in the sun for a few hours, “dry” doesn’t matter.

Why the fuck would you park your car in the sun in the middle of summer? I lived in Phoenix for 17 years and never had to park my car in the sun. Just about everything you need has a covered parking option.

• 11 months later...

Once early December, onWe’ve stayed a couple of times north of Tucson at the Ritz Dove Mountain.  Early December once, late January another.  Great that time of year.  Can’t imagine what it’s like now, though Austin is pretty miserable for the next week as well.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:40 AM, Upgrayedd said:

Its my last summer here.  We’ve had enough.  Despite all of the positives.

Very little humidity though.  Been to places in the south during the late summer and have wondered how some of y’all do it.

Literally.  How do people have sex in that environment?

Personally?  I now do all my fucking in a tent or the truck, but I bet most on here do their fucking in their house with the AC turned up. 

Here’s my Phoenix story:

wife was asking me the other day- is it true that you went through Phoenix in the middle of the summer in a U haul with your dad and he didn’t turn on the ac?

me- yes that’s true

her- why?

me- dad said that the ac made the gas mileage go from 6 mpg to 3 mpg so he wasn’t paying for no Ac. If I wanted to be a pussy about it I could go ride with my mother or little brother in the car. 

her- that sounds awful what did you do?

me- dumped buckets of ice water on my head and put my feet in a bucket of ice water. It was like 120

her- that sounds awful. 

me- 15 minutes later- I said it was 120 and that’s the way I remember it but I doubt it was actually that hot. Probably like 113 or something and I just remember it that way because I was 12. 

me- 10 minutes later- I’m going to google all time high temp in Phoenix. Wow 122 degrees on July 2, 1990. We went through Phoenix on July 1 of 1990. Yep, guess it was the hottest day in the history of that god forsaken place and I did it in a UHaul with no AC bc my dad is a cheapskate. Hmmm. Great timing 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 2

Gonna be 115 or 116 tomorrow. Still looking to buy another place in lakeside/pinetop.  My sister has a place up there and they invite the family and I up all the time but covid has fucked shit up.  So I'm gonna stay inside all weekend. 

Honestly,  don't hate it here or anything.  It's home now but dang I want that summer home away from here. 

3 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Personally?  I now do all my fucking in a tent or the truck, but I bet most on here do their fucking in their house with the AC turned up. 

Here’s my Phoenix story:

wife was asking me the other day- is it true that you went through Phoenix in the middle of the summer in a U haul with your dad and he didn’t turn on the ac?

me- yes that’s true

her- why?

me- dad said that the ac made the gas mileage go from 6 mpg to 3 mpg so he wasn’t paying for no Ac. If I wanted to be a pussy about it I could go ride with my mother or little brother in the car. 

me- dumped buckets of ice water on my head and put my feet in a bucket of ice water. It was like 120

her- that sounds awful. 

me- 15 minutes later- I said it was 120 and that’s the way I remember it but I doubt it was actually that hot. Probably like 113 or something and I just remember it that way because I was 12. 

me- 10 minutes later- I’m going to google all time high temp in Phoenix. Wow 122 degrees on July 2, 1990. We went through Phoenix on July 1 of 1990. Yep, guess it was the hottest day in the history of that god forsaken place and I did it in a UHaul with no AC bc my dad is a cheapskate. Hmmm. Great timing 

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon

• Haha 1

I used to have a steady haul between Phoenix and Houston. The mine I loaded at in Phoenix was closed during the day because of the heat. I could leave Phoenix and the temp was well over 100°, but it was still cooler than Houston at 85° because of the f'n humidity.

4 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Are there any Vietnam/Afghanistan/Iraq war veterans in this thread? Reason I ask, I never hear war vets in the States bitch about the heat. 

If you have a/c in your car, house, mall, grocery store, office, etc.....what's the big deal about living in Phoenix/Tucson? It's not 1922. 

It gets so hot the ac can’t keep up I’m sure. Car yes (once it takes some time) but the house is a cool 85). In my experience (not Phoenix but dry heat) the advantages of it being dry go away at about 105-108. Anything g over that is just misery even if it’s dry. 

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

It gets so hot the ac can’t keep up I’m sure. Car yes (once it takes some time) but the house is a cool 85). In my experience (not Phoenix but dry heat) the advantages of it being dry go away at about 105-108. Anything g over that is just misery even if it’s dry. 

Lived in PHX for 17 years and the A/C kept up just fine. I ran the A/C at 68 all night and had zero problems. I live in Houston now and the unit that serves our bedroom runs all night to keep it at 68. The difference in humidity also makes it easier to cool since the A/C isn't having to remove so much moisture from the air.

14 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Here’s my Phoenix story:

me- yes that’s true

her- why?

her- that sounds awful. 

Lulz.  As an undergrad I was driving back to ASU from Long Beach for the start of the fall term.  Mid August.  My POS car started overheating in Riverside.  Had to make that god forsaken drive with the heater on.

Spent my last summer here.  I’m moving to San Diego.  

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Gonna be 115 or 116 tomorrow. Still looking to buy another place in lakeside/pinetop.  My sister has a place up there and they invite the family and I up all the time but covid has fucked shit up.  So I'm gonna stay inside all weekend. 

Honestly,  don't hate it here or anything.  It's home now but dang I want that summer home away from here. 

You should buy a place in Flagstaff.  Higher elevation, moderate temps, pine trees, and skiing. 

• Like 1

I want a home on rainbow lake in lakeside. Flagstaff is always a consideration though due to the restaurants and breweries, higher elevation, hiking, and overall experience but costs are higher as well. Personally we would choose Flagstaff and I love it there as well but rainbow lake vrbo is pretty lucrative if you equip the home with bikes, canoes, and kayaks.

Pinetop is close to sunrise so skiing is also an option. They have plenty of pine trees, and it might be warmer than Flagstaff but it's certainly not as hot as here in phoenix. 

• 3 weeks later...

Holy shitballs, 118 yesterday.  I was thankfully up in pinetop and hiking in mt baldy wilderness and down in Greer at the little Colorado so I was in heaven in comparison. 

Took the Globe route home for the first time and damn, can't believe I have never seen the salt river canyon before. Beautiful area. 

spacer.png

Edited by Butch Had Not
Google image not my photo
  • Like 1