Ate at Black's BBQ today for the first time

Goo Punch

It's been on the top of my BBQ bucket list since the early days of shaggy and i finally went today. We stopped in there for lunch on our way to Port Aransas. I had brisket and pork spare ribs. 

brisket: 3/5

the good parts were good, and nice, and fatty, and tasted delicious, but there was plenty that was much less tender amd much more leathery. it was no better than Louis Mueller, and certainly nowhere close to Franklin. I would be impressed if i were a yankee, but i was honestly a bit let down.

pork spare rib: 2/5 

it was very very fatty, and just not as flavorful as ribs i've had at other joints. would not order again.

also, this was a coincidence- maybe five minutes before we left the place a couple came and sat in the booth behind our table. fast forward 2-3 hours (stupid construction all over 183/SE Texas), and ad we're heading into Virginia's in Port A i see the same couple waiting to be sat. small world.

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Dude how is Blacks at the top of your BBQ bucket list. It's like one of the easiest places to eat at. 

Also, yeah it's perfectly fine and overpriced as I'm sure you found out. 

it's been at the top because of how much shaggy raved about it back in 2008 and 2009. and for whatever reason i haven't been out this way *and* able to stop for BBQ since then. 

41 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Ate at Matt’s El Rancho today for the first time. 

It's been on the top of my Tex-Mex food bucket list since the early days of shaggy and i finally went today. We stopped in there for lunch on our way to the Horseshoe Lounge  . I had the bob Armstrong and No. 1 dinner 

bob armstrong: 3/5

the guac really added something to the queso. Overall, it was rich and creamy but still had good spice. It has some really good parts to it, but I got tired of it half way through. It was too thick after a while and my chips would break.  it was no better than Torchys, and certainly nowhere close to Maudie’s. I would be impressed if i were a yankee, but i was honestly a bit let down.

No. 1 Dinner: 2/5 

it was a very very greasy enchilada, and the taco was drier than tacos i've had at other joints. would not order again.

also, this was a coincidence- but right after I sat down, Matthew Mcconaughey sat down three tables away from us. I had just recently scene Failure to Launch, so it was far out seeing him in person. maybe five minutes before we left the place, I went to take a piss and he was also taking a piss. He said alright alright as we made eye contact at the urinals. He was super cool.  

I know that’s tongue in cheek, but Maudie’s queso sucks. And I like Maudie’s more than most of this board. I can’t think of any worse.

He just got to Port A and went to Virginia’s. Should we really trust his food opinion?

@Goo Punch if you need some recs let me know. Best restaurant in town is Liberty Hall. Venetian Hot Plate and Lisabella’s are also very good. For lunch hit Shell’s or Irie’s or Harbor Lights at the Back Porch. The new place on Beach street called Lelo’s has a damn good burger.

• Like 3

Ate at Matt’s El Rancho today for the first time. 
It's been on the top of my Tex-Mex food bucket list since the early days of shaggy and i finally went today. We stopped in there for lunch on our way to the Horseshoe Lounge  . I had the bob Armstrong and No. 1 dinner 
bob armstrong: 3/5
the guac really added something to the queso. Overall, it was rich and creamy but still had good spice. It has some really good parts to it, but I got tired of it half way through. It was too thick after a while and my chips would break.  it was no better than Torchys, and certainly nowhere close to Maudie’s. I would be impressed if i were a yankee, but i was honestly a bit let down.
No. 1 Dinner: 2/5 
it was a very very greasy enchilada, and the taco was drier than tacos i've had at other joints. would not order again.
also, this was a coincidence- but right after I sat down, Matthew Mcconaughey sat down three tables away from us. I had just recently scene Failure to Launch, so it was far out seeing him in person. maybe five minutes before we left the place, I went to take a piss and he was also taking a piss. He said alright alright as we made eye contact at the urinals. He was super cool.  

6e44aa78f12ba916f0bcef9a8be4fe58.gif

Ate at Whataburger for the 1000th time the other day.

Happy to report the new Chicago Boses have not messed with the menu yet.  No Chicago style pizza or hot dogs on the menu.

Burger with toasted bun and grilled onions was an 8 and the fries were fresh out of the frier.  

Edited by Nueces River Rat

26 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Ate at Whataburger for the 1000th time the other day.

Happy to report the new Chicago Boses have not messed with the menu yet.  No Chicago style pizza or hot dogs on the menu.

Burger with toasted bun and grilled onions was an 8 and the fries were fresh out of the frier.  

what are you? healthy and fit?

4 hours ago, justhookit said:

He just got to Port A and went to Virginia’s. Should we really trust his food opinion?

@Goo Punch if you need some recs let me know. Best restaurant in town is Liberty Hall. Venetian Hot Plate and Lisabella’s are also very good. For lunch hit Shell’s or Irie’s or Harbor Lights at the Back Porch. The new place on Beach street called Lelo’s has a damn good burger.

thanks, we definitely need those refs and then some. half the places were closed yesterday (monday), so hopefully we'll have some more options for the rest of the week.

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

what are you? healthy and fit?

Lol!   Just 47 years old and some change.   If I ate at Whataburger at least once a week since the day I was born, that would make it around 2400 visits.  So I might be undercounting.    I mean in high school and college I ate at least four or five times a week at Whataburger if you include breakfast at 2 am.   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Lol!   Just 47 years old and some change.   If I ate at Whataburger at least once a week since the day I was born, that would make it around 2400 visits.  So I might be undercounting.    I mean in high school and college I ate at least four or five times a week at Whataburger if you include breakfast at 2 am.   

plus you cant really control what or where you eat until you got your drivers license and a job..so really we're starting at about 31 years. im not good at math so help me out

• Like 1

oops, I went and made it all about me several people who incessantly whine about me went and made it all about yet again. you know there's no law that says the whole group of you need to run to every single thread i make and cry about how some innocuous thing that i did is such a big deal. but keep telling yourselves that it's not you, it's me. jesus.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

oops, I went and made it all about me several people who incessantly whine about me went and made it all about yet again. you know there's no law that says the whole group of you need to run to every single thread i make and cry about how some innocuous thing that i did is such a big deal. but keep telling yourselves that it's not you, it's me. jesus.

No, you went and made a thread about yourself. 

This is not your first time you've been to this forum. Exhibit A: 

So you know there are different threads for different topics. Including BBQ

So you've seen this thread: Exhibit B

But instead of posting your opinion in that thread, you decided to make your own thread about eating at Blacks' BBQ. 

So people are giving you shit about it. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But instead of posting your opinion in that thread, you decided to make your own thread about eating at Blacks' BBQ. 

jesus christ you people are so dramatic. i must have posted in this forum like three fucking times since surly's inception. have blacklab look it up if you're so concerned about it. i did a search for a thread on "black's BBQ", and when that turned up nothing i made my thread. end of story.

you know what's so fucking stupid about all of this? i wouldn't even be getting any of this special attention if there weren't ten of you in here giving it to me! how are the lot of you so obtuse that you don't see this? take away all of the posts you guys have made about me and it's problem solved! *you* guys love the attention and the drama. you live for it. christ get some self awareness and get off my jock.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

here's the two facts that make this so fucking stupid:

1)literally anyone but me makes the exact same thread and it's a non issue

2)if 10 of you guys don't run in here and actively change the subject of the thread to me, then the problem you are whining about so much literally doesn't exist!

every single one of you is completely self deluded to not see this. christ almighty. 

Edited by Goo Punch

50 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

just clicked your link it took me to the very first post. never seen that thread, never posted in it, and i almost never come to this forum at all. you are factually wrong and you are fucking up this thread by obsessing over me. you are needlessly giving me the attention that you pretend to hate. 

im sure you'll be apologizing and admitting you were wrong any moment now. 

3 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

In the spirit of this thread: I actually did eat at Bill Miller's for the first time this past weekend. It was very bad. I'd prefer Dickey's over this. Great Tea though, tbh.

In SA for work this week. Stopped yesterday for some fried chicken and tea. Chicken was alright, fries sucked and tea was bomb. 

12 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

In the spirit of this thread: I actually did eat at Bill Miller's for the first time this past weekend. It was very bad. I'd prefer Dickey's over this. Great Tea though, tbh.

No one goes to BM for que, doofus. 

9 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

In SA for work this week. Stopped yesterday for some fried chicken and tea. Chicken was alright, fries sucked and tea was bomb. 

Neg worthy. 

It's been on the top of my Italian bucket list since the early days of shaggy and I finally went to Olive Garden today. I had the bottomless salad and breadsticks and chicken parmesan for my entrée. 

salad: 3/5

The dressing was fantastic, just like from the Old World.  The iceberg lettuce was a bit soggy, but the extra pepperoncini made up for it.  Oddly, for a place like Olive Garden, there were only two olives in the salad.

chicken parm: 5/5 

It was so outstanding that I made the joke about feeling like I was in Rome.  The chicken was extra tough and chewy, just like my Mamma Mia would make, and the marinara sauce tasted so fresh I could've sworn they took the lid of the jar right before putting it over my plate. 

Also, this was a coincidence- maybe five minutes before we left the place Vernon Broughton and his family came and sat in the booth behind our table. They had their computer out and it looked like they were editing some sort of video.

Edited by South Austin
can't spell marinara sawce
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's been on the top of my Italian bucket list since the early days of shaggy and I finally went to Olive Garden today. I had the bottomless salad and breadsticks and chicken parmesan for my entrée. 

The dressing was fantastic, just like from the Old World.  The iceberg lettuce was a bit soggy, but the extra pepperoncini made up for it.  Oddly, for a place like Olive Garden, there were only two olives in the salad.

It was so outstanding that I made the joke about feeling like I was in Rome.  The chicken was extra tough and chewy, just like my Mamma Mia would make, and the marina sauce tasted so fresh I could've sworn they took the lid of the jar right before putting it over my plate. 

Also, this was a coincidence- maybe five minutes before we left the place Vernon Broughton and his family came and sat in the booth behind our table. They had their computer out and it looked like they were editing some sort of video.

Image result for you son of a bitch gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It was so outstanding that I made the joke about feeling like I was in Rome.  The chicken was extra tough and chewy, just like my Mamma Mia would make, and the marinara sauce tasted so fresh I could've sworn they took the lid of the jar right before putting it over my plate. 

if the salad is bottomless what does it sit on??!?!?!

Edited by 52-80
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1