Apollo 11 50th Anniversary

GopherRock

12 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/apollo-11-moon-launch-memorable-moments-cbs-news-coverage-50-years-ago-today-2019-07-16-live-stream/

CBS News is livestreaming their programming from 50 years ago today. Launch goes a little after 8:30 AM CDT.

Ramjet has the comm...

LOL, they are running the original commercials...freeze dried Maxim coffee @ 5:20 before liftoff

AHHHHHHH!   I was going to start a thread now (8:32 CDT), when the mission lifted off, but hey, this will do.

It's my contention that long after the U.S. is a memory in history, historians will determine that that era was the apex of the U.S.'s existence as a country (and I have a buncha reasons).  Whether or not that's the case, I am thankful I was alive to see this event 50 years ago, and I'll post some memories later.  I don't think there is any parallel to this event in my own life anyway, at least as far as experiencing a cultural news event.

Godspeed, Apollo 11!

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

Looked around at work the other day, there's only like 2-3 other people in my department who would have even been alive then. Holy fuck. We went to the moon and nobody here even actually remembers it because we stopped. I wonder if any of these whipper snappers even know what the shuttle was all about and what the ISS does up there? Nope. got a text message, gotta check my IG. smdh.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Looked around at work the other day, there's only like 2-3 other people in my department who would have even been alive then. Holy fuck. We went to the moon and nobody here even actually remembers it because we stopped. I wonder if any of these whipper snappers even know what the shuttle was all about and what the ISS does up there? Nope. got a text message, gotta check my IG. smdh.

It's because we stopped making cool cars. In a 63 Plymouth Fury, you're thinking about revving the engine, getting some pussy, and going to the moon. Bubble-wrapped inside some SUV, you want to stare at the blinky light and see if somebody said lol.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's because we stopped making cool cars. In a 63 Plymouth Fury, you're thinking about revving the engine, getting some pussy, and going to the moon. Bubble-wrapped inside some SUV, you want to stare at the blinky light and see if somebody said lol.

I gave ya a little trophy for that. Hope you're happy now. :) 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Does your mom count?  /obligatorysurlyresponse

No - just in the MCC.

He was gonna take his entire collection of Johnny Cash with him on Apollo 19, but it got cancelled.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Definitely an influencing moment in my life.

spacer.png

Me too!**
ctyp_frankie-macdonald-storm.jpg?w=800

(**Actually this is true.  More later.  But I actually did work at NASA for a summer - in Meteorology, as NASA really didn't have much place for wannabe astronomer interns, and that was the closest they could come up with.  But hey, I'll never forget working there, and it was right around when Apollo 16 flew.  Plus there was a hot secretary down the hall who I used to gawk at daily).

I never did go into astronomy per se, but have maintained a strong "lay relationship" with it, and I didn't go into Meteorology professionally because in my first university class there were no chicks, and only dweebs.  So that was that, but of course I still keep up, you know, "THE WEATHER GOING TO BE A BIG STORM IN AUSTIN TEXAS, AUSTIN TEXAS GET READY FOR A BIG STORM!"

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

... But I actually did work at NASA for a summer - in Meteorology...

During the Shuttle program, I worked EXTREMELY closely with the Spaceflight Meteorology Group.  SMG was responsible for our daily Wx forecasts/briefings that we had to give to the Flight Directors/CAPCOMs/crew summary, as well as on-call Wx data for our world-wide landing sites.  

On launch day, they were extra busy with both launch predictions and abort landing-time predictions at KSC, TAL sites (Africa or Europe), and AOA sites (EDW or NOR).

So - I got to be a "Junior Weatherman" during flights.  We got to take a few meteorology classes, too.

• Like 2

The Meteo guys were dull for the most part but nice.  However there was this young black dude, Ray, who took a liking to me (I guess because I wasn't 53 and dull) and he'd talk all the time about the chicks on the floor and who might be good to go.  He drove a '68 red Riviera with hugeass whitewalls.  He was fucking cool as shit.

I did a lot of hurricane plotting and COBOL corrections and took out the "bad" punch cards and refitted the right ones and took 'em to the punch card readers for the 360/90.  Ah, those were the fucking days... (Goddard Space Flight Center in Md.).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Me too!**
ctyp_frankie-macdonald-storm.jpg?w=800

(**Actually this is true.  More later.  But I actually did work at NASA for a summer - in Meteorology, as NASA really didn't have much place for wannabe astronomer interns, and that was the closest they could come up with.  But hey, I'll never forget working there, and it was right around when Apollo 16 flew.  Plus there was a hot secretary down the hall who I used to gawk at daily).

I never did go into astronomy per se, but have maintained a strong "lay relationship" with it, and I didn't go into Meteorology professionally because in my first university class there were no chicks, and only dweebs.  So that was that, but of course I still keep up, you know, "THE WEATHER GOING TO BE A BIG STORM IN AUSTIN TEXAS, AUSTIN TEXAS GET READY FOR A BIG STORM!"

I'm still waiting to hear Frankie say "Fuck you, Harevey" but I bet he never does.

Friday I will be in Houston at the Space Center, I've never taken a tour strangely enough. Going to do it then.

I was thinking of Saturday, but it's probably going to be a CF and there really is nothing super special going on that day, a few things that don't necessarily seem that attractive.

My #1 goal is to take the tram tour and visit the Apollo Control Room. I'm sure I will either wet or cream my pants in doing so.

52 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Co-worker was on vacation last week and took their family to Johnson Space Center.. I got a NASA sticker out of the deal. Not sure where to put it now.

Put it on your Johnson.  Then wait for the laughs to start rolling in.

Jeesuzchrist what a fucked up time we live in.  I mean holy fucking shit, really?  Seriously?  
Fuck this age.  Fuck it with ten thousand dicks, each the length of a Saturn V.
Stupid fucking idiots who have no idea of anything but their own poisonous bullshit narcissistic ignorance. 

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Jeesuzchrist what a fucked up time we live in.  I mean holy fucking shit, really?  Seriously?  
Fuck this age.  Fuck it with ten thousand dicks, each the length of a Saturn V.
Stupid fucking idiots who have no idea of anything but their own poisonous bullshit narcissistic ignorance. 

Have you seen the programming lineup for Saturday on The History Channel?   Lulz

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

CBS live-streamed this yesterday - if you have 4 1/2 hours, you can see some adds for freeze-dried coffee, somebody in a bikini (looked like Ali McGraw), and Cronkite doing his thing.

Ali McGraw in a paper bikini.

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

CBS live-streamed this yesterday - if you have 4 1/2 hours, you can see some adds for freeze-dried coffee, somebody in a bikini (looked like Ali McGraw), and Cronkite doing his thing.

This is awesome. Is there anything planned out for Sunday. Would love to sit the boys in front of the tube to take this in. 

I work at a large tech company that had a ton of computer scientists and engineers working with NASA leading up to and during the launch. Today one of our SVPs in Houston did a livestream panel discussion with several of the guys who were involved, and it was really cool. One of them was 22 during the launch, and the oldest of this group was 27. It's crazy thinking how young they were.

Edited by austingirl