Pitch me an EPL team

lateshow

Don't let us sway you on a team. Just try out some EPL matches in August when the season starts and see which team grabs you. It may take a bit but one will eventually click with you. I mean we're so spoiled here with all the matches we get on TV. You can get up early on a Saturday or Sunday and get most of the larger clubs matches in one 6 hour period. Maybe read up on the histories of the clubs you're interested in. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 4

Pick a big six team.  More games will be televised, you get to take an interest in champions league, top four race is meaningful, etc. 

That said, they all have their downsides:

- Chelsea: No history before 2003.  Owned by a shady Russian oligarch that bought the team's success.  Longtime captain and fan hero was a racist who slept with his best friend/teammate's girlfriend.  

- Man City: Like Chelsea but a shady Arab sheikh instead of a Russian. 

- Arsenal: noted fans include Derka and Osama Bin Laden 

- United/Liverpool:  Like picking the Yankees or Lakers.  Liverpool are at least entertaining to watch right now. 

- Spurs: Everyone will assume you picked your team based on a Bill Simmons article.  Historically mediocre team that will likely go back to being that way once the current coach leaves. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Dallas Cowboys

St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Blues

Memphis Grizzlies

Hmm. Let me put on my barstool psychology hat for a minute. You're clearly not a front runner. You like teams with ups and downs. You do like to win though, that's clear too. Cardinals fans are very tribal, which is a big part of European football. At first blush, you do not strike me as a City or United fan. 

You really can't go wrong with any one of Arsenal, Tottenham, or Liverpool. All three play attractive brands of football. All three have good/great managers. If an American angle is what you want, Chelsea is probably the way to go. I'd read the threads of all 4 and see who you like best/most. 

But, look, all bullshit aside: Liverpool is the best club in the world. People here won't admit it but everyone, especially @sidis, knows it in their hearts. I honestly can't see how anyone roots for any other club. Best fans. Best kits. Best stadium. Best manager. Best fucking songs of all time. Great history. Plus, 6 Times!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jograves said:

Hmm. Let me put on my barstool psychology hat for a minute. You're clearly not a front runner. You like teams with ups and downs. You do like to win though, that's clear too. Cardinals fans are very tribal, which is a big part of European football. At first blush, you do not strike me as a City or United fan. 

You really can't go wrong with any one of Arsenal, Tottenham, or Liverpool. All three play attractive brands of football. All three have good/great managers. If an American angle is what you want, Chelsea is probably the way to go. I'd read the threads of all 4 and see who you like best/most. 

But, look, all bullshit aside: Liverpool is the best club in the world. People here won't admit it but everyone, especially @sidis, knows it in their hearts. I honestly can't see how anyone roots for any other club. Best fans. Best kits. Best stadium. Best manager. Best fucking songs of all time. Great history. Plus, 6 Times!

You're like the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter but with an agenda. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I remember trying to do this a few years back...kept being drawn to Liverpool(people said it was similar to being a Dallas Cowboys fan).  Still am.

But I love watching Pulisic...so I might go that route.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drew said:

I remember trying to do this a few years back...kept being drawn to Liverpool(people said it was similar to being a Dallas Cowboys fan).  Still am.

Perfect time to get into Chelsea, rebuilding with some youth. Really likeable players (for once) and Lampard as manager!

Liverpool duh. Manager is fantastic, playstyle is fantastic, currently winning trophies, tons of history, but haven't won the EPL since it was instituted so when we win we'll be totally justified in celebrating like we've never been there before because we haven't.

Plus the US fanbase is pretty enormous so you'll have plenty of people to watch games with.

33 minutes ago, Drew said:

The door is right over there ...

• Like 1

About 15 years ago, I was a big fan of Fulham because they always had a couple of Americans on the team.  

About 6 years ago, I was searching for a new team.  I didn't want to jump on a bandwagon of the current (then) top teams.  I was trying to find a team that would be competitive at some point in the future.  Right about that time, I came across the 30 for 30 for the Hillsborough Disaster.  I felt a secondary connection to the team and fans after watching that and Liverpool has been my team ever since.  After this past year, I'd say I chose wisely.

• Like 1

If you dont to be considered a bandwagon fan i would recommend Everton. Plenty of history and have never been relegated. They are 4th all time in league titles but have been down for about 20 years...lots of teams to chose from...take your time like mentioned earlier

The big 6 clubs are easier to watch in usa

You don't pick your team.  Your team picks you.

In 1984 I was stationed in Ft. Sill whilst (!) attending artillery school.  So, I was pretty much predestined to follow the artillery-related club.  As luck would have it, I didn't really get into soccer until around 2006, when I bought a car with Sirius and found myself listening to a couple of English guys talk about the EPL.  One was a Chelsea fan who went into hiding after insulting Liverpool too many times (the scousers don't have jobs so they have plenty of spare time on their hands).  Unfortunately I had missed The Invincibles by a couple of years. 

5 hours ago, MoJames said:

Join up with Ramjet on the Aston Villa train.

Join us and you will be blessed by Saint McGinn. Seriously nothing wrong with picking a smaller club. It's one extra subscription and there are always plenty of free streams. Risky though if you get relegated then watching The Championship is a beating and god forbid you end up like Sunderland. On the reward side you get a Wolves team from last year often and a Leicester can happen.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

About 15 years ago, I was a big fan of Fulham because they always had a couple of Americans on the team.  

About 6 years ago, I was searching for a new team.  I didn't want to jump on a bandwagon of the current (then) top teams.  I was trying to find a team that would be competitive at some point in the future.  Right about that time, I came across the 30 for 30 for the Hillsborough Disaster.  I felt a secondary connection to the team and fans after watching that and Liverpool has been my team ever since.  After this past year, I'd say I chose wisely.

Brother? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, shigginz said:

Liverpool duh. Manager is fantastic, playstyle is fantastic, currently winning trophies, tons of history, but haven't won the EPL since it was instituted so when we win we'll be totally justified in celebrating like we've never been there before because we haven't.

Plus the US fanbase is pretty enormous so you'll have plenty of people to watch games with.

LOL! I live in Northeast Arkansas. The other 10 people interested in the EPL and myself will have a hell of a good time! 

20 hours ago, mdmost said:

Don't let us sway you on a team. Just try out some EPL matches in August when the season starts and see which team grabs you. It may take a bit but one will eventually click with you. I mean we're so spoiled here with all the matches we get on TV. You can get up early on a Saturday or Sunday and get most of the larger clubs matches in one 6 hour period. Maybe read up on the histories of the clubs you're interested in. 

OP, this is the answer.  Start watching matches and one club for whatever reason (results, kit, supporters, style of play, who knows) will choose you.  We aren't "born into" a club like most other football supporters, either by location or family ties. Think of yourself as a free agent.  It may take a week or it may take two seasons, but one you will find one club holds your attention more than others (Arsenal drew me in back in 2000 because I enjoyed their attacking style of play and they had The Iceman Dennis Bergkamp, one of the slickest footballers of the time.) Don't be surprised when you start scheduling your weekends around your club's match. 

Now really is a great time to be a football supporter in US.  Back when I got into EPL in 2000, there were only a handful of matches televised on Fox Sports World - a channel that only came with the highest cable tier - each weekend.  Euro 2004 wasn't broadcast without an additional charge.  The FA Cup Final was pay-per-view live otherwise on tape delay a few days later.  Now, we have a bevy of live options. NBC really does a great job with covering the EPL between NBC and NBCSN, and for a few extra bucks a month NBC Sports Gold will let you basically watch nearly every EPL match. The big six clubs (and many other ones, as well) will have local supporters' groups and watching parties at bars.  I saw a guy driving around Plano the other day with a "Klopp6" license plate.  

13 hours ago, Bullneck said:

when I bought a car with Sirius and found myself listening to a couple of English guys talk about the EPL.  One was a Chelsea fan who went into hiding after insulting Liverpool too many times (the scousers don't have jobs so they have plenty of spare time on their hands). 

World Soccer Daily with Steven and Nick (later Kenny). I used to listen to those guys on my way home from work, too.  IIRC, what got Steven were comments he made stating Liverpool supporters were the cause of the Hillsborough disaster.  Liverpool supporters' groups then organized a boycott of all his sponsors. 

20 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

- Arsenal: noted fans include Derka and Osama Bin Laden. 

Also, Arsenal are currently owned by Stan Kroenke, the same fucking braindead cocksucking motherfucker who thought it was a good idea to employ Jeff Fischer for nearly  a decade.  Fuck him. Fuck his cocksucking dipshit son.  #KroenkeOut.  Oh, and fuck Jeff Fischer, too.

Edited by Dutch
  • Like 1

It was fun as shit to be a Wolves supporter last year.

Hopefully more of the same in 2019-2020.  I picked Wolverhampton as my team a few years back, and the next year they were relegated and vanished into obscurity until their return to the top league last season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Just don’t pick Tottenham. Bill Simmons wrote a column explaining why they are the best choice and now every new American fan picks them. Plus they never win anything.

He wrote that column 10+ years ago.  Shirley we can find a more up to date opinion.