Pitch me an EPL team

lateshow

Some other points about Liverpool and the traveling angle.  If you're associated with a team from Liverpool(LFC or Everton), they have a unique perspective about themselves and tend to lean LEFT politically or at the very least AGAINST the right(pretty big celebrations when Maggie Thatcher died). May not be a big deal, but if you are a political type person, you may be turned off by some of the conversations of fans.  
Many of the fans seem to be proud of being Scouse rather than English and you see a decent amount of that during the National team stuff.  A lot was made on the Liverpool fan sites about the Tottenham fans' banners having a lot of English flags in Madrid vs. essentially none for Liverpool.  
Again, may be a factor and may not, just throwing that out there.

The Scousers are fun. I’ll give em that. And Liverpool is jam packed with single women. Not ladies exactly, but women.

So what I said above about Pulisic, Chelsea, and being a casual American fan may all be true, but here's the real answer:
You should just start watching matches and see which side you're drawn to.
I started watching in 10/11.  I had no intention of ever picking a team.  But Chelsea had Lampard, Terry, and Cole, who I already knew from cheering on the English national side.  And I discovered that I really liked Didier Drogba and Petr Cech.  By the end of that season I realized I had become a Chelsea fan and the following season I would back them from the start.  It just kinda happened.

868b3633c22621e0608638877d02d015.gif

Come up with some unscientific rationale, plus some irrational emotional reasons, pick a team, and enjoy the ride!

And if you get a chance definitley go over for a match. And look out for chances to see your new team in the states. I’m headed to Charlotte this weekend to see Arsenal play.

4 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

I have two teams:  a big 6 club and an also-ran club.  Makes things exciting on both ends - whether the big 6 club can win the EPL or a major trophy, and whether the little club can stay out of relegation and maybe make some noise.

My teams are Liverpool and Crystal Palace (the Pride of South London). 

I never had an EPL team.  I loved watching games but never wanted to get emotionally invested so I shied away from being a true supporter.  But I figured I needed one.

Liverpool is kind of an easy pick.  To start with, I am a huge Beatles fan and have always had a soft spot for the city.  It's London's little brother.   I always liked the team and felt bad they hadn't won the EPL ever.  And then mdmost and I went to a game at Anfield last year.  That sealed the deal.  This is team that I will live and die by.

As for Crystal Palace, I went to a game there many years ago.  Had a blast.  Again, they are one of the little brothers of the London teams.  So it's easy to support them and hope for good things.

The secondary teams I’ve rooted for the past few years: Hull, Sunderland, Cardiff. Teams should really hope I don’t pick them as my secondary teams.

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

Hating Tottenham would require me to give a shit about Tottenham first, and since statistically I only have another 40 years here, I'm not gonna spend one moment giving a shit about Tottenham when they're not losing to Chelsea.

The defense rests

I also have two teams, though only one is EPL. I started following the Arsenal thread a year ago and have gone with them since. Not sure why other then I like the name Arsenal.

The other team is the Celtic Bhoys of the Scottish Premiership. Though they are equivalent to second tier in England, they are a sure winner having won the past 8 Scottish Championships.  

Realize whoever you pick there are a few things you can do to enhance your viewing pleasure

1.  Men In Blazers

2.  Rebecca Lowe 

3.  Arsenal Fan TV, particularly a good DT or Troopz rant (and this is in no way a plug for Arsenal...I have plenty of friends who are fans of other sides who enjoy the shit out of those moments...buddy of mine who is a Chelsea fan and I even kicked around the idea of starting a Texas Fann TV in the dark last days of Mack, all the dark days of Charlie where I would play Robbie and he would play DT but we would just sub in the Saturday shit shows in Austin for the ones in North London....a little too lazy and I could never be as level headed as Robbie)

Edited by Surly Bevo

13 hours ago, RamjetFDO said:

Whoever you pick, don't punch your dad over it.

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Yep.   Being an Arsenal fan, even when you lose you have something to look forward to.   Arsenal Fan TV is the never ending train wreck of hilarity. 

AFTV is great regardless of who your are a fan of. Troopz blows everyone away on that show.

FriendlyFirstKangaroo-small.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Also the Championship League is a hell of a lot more fun than the Premier League, and the playoffs is the best thing about soccer.

I’m still pulling for a Forest rebirth in the EPL.

When you can watch it. Usually a crap feed from the team itself unless it's a game of the week type situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

The Championship has a lot of midweek games too. The ESPN+ app is great for catching one of those matches at work when the office is slow. 

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

I'm going to try ESPN+ for a month at least this fall to see how it works out. 

Yeah ESPN+ is great for some Championship football just hard to follow an individual team for the whole course of a season. I had AVTV last year and it went fine but different teams have different quality for sure. 

52 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Looking at your list, you probably don't choose your teams by their uniforms.  That said, you do want to be able to watch your team without getting a seizure, so you should probably at least browse this:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1204999

Chelsea and Liverpool away's look like cheap knockoff Chinese crap.  Yuck.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:25 PM, MAROON said:

Can you trace any of your family back to the UK?  If so, find out the city and the closest EPL team.  Just assume your relative would have been a fan, so it would be natural for you to be a fan.

That's what I did a few years back when my Dad finished his side of the family genealogy study.  His great grandfather was born in Manchester - Eccles to be more precise, which happens to be three miles from Old Trafford.  United it was.

That's kind of what I did. My ancestry comes from Kent and Sussex regions, so I root for Brighton & Hove Albion. For the "Big 6" I go with Chelsea because of the Republic of Texas embassy, military veteran (pensioners) and American players connections, but as a history buff I also like that their stadium is called Stamford Bridge (even though it's not THAT Stamford Bridge).

Do you enjoy watching dreadful soccer by yourself, on streaming service you pay for (NBC Gold), on a Saturday morning, and then have no one to commiserate with post-match?

If so, Southampton is your club.

(although having Hasenhüttl at the helm is giving me some glimmer of optimism)

Edited by yoladu
  • Like 3

On 7/18/2019 at 11:48 PM, Surly Bevo said:

Realize whoever you pick there are a few things you can do to enhance your viewing pleasure

1.  Men In Blazers

2.  Rebecca Lowe 

3.  Arsenal Fan TV, particularly a good DT or Troopz rant (and this is in no way a plug for Arsenal...I have plenty of friends who are fans of other sides who enjoy the shit out of those moments...buddy of mine who is a Chelsea fan and I even kicked around the idea of starting a Texas Fann TV in the dark last days of Mack, all the dark days of Charlie where I would play Robbie and he would play DT but we would just sub in the Saturday shit shows in Austin for the ones in North London....a little too lazy and I could never be as level headed as Robbie)

The guy on the right is English Derka.  

And I mean that as a compliment.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:22 PM, midtown said:

International Champions Cup just started so you have a chance to see some EPL clubs playing friendlies.   Might consider tuning into a couple of those.

My company has a box at Giants Stadium.  Might go see Athletico Madrid and Blancos next Friday.

On 7/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, lateshow said:

Dallas Cowboys

St. Louis Cardinals

St. Louis Blues

Memphis Grizzlies

Here’s some science.  In my house, there are two lifelong Blues and Cardinals fans.  Both support Liverpool.  We can thus conclude that you must support Liverpool.  

Edited by BrickHorn

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Here’s some science.  In my house, there are two lifelong Blues and Cardinals fans.  Both support Liverpool.  We can thus conclude that you must support Liverpool.  

Who am I to argue with science? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 6:35 PM, yoladu said:

Do you enjoy watching dreadful soccer by yourself, on streaming service you pay for (NBC Gold), on a Saturday morning, and then have no one to commiserate with post-match?

If so, Southampton is your club.

(although having Hasenhüttl at the helm is giving me some glimmer of optimism)

Today checked all the boxes

01) dreadful soccer - Check!!! Burnley 3- 0 Southampton... Fucking Burnley!

02) NBC Gold - Check!!! 

03) Saturday Morning - Check!!!

04) no one to commiserate with post-match - Check!! the Southampton thread is not exactly blowing up.

Still not tempted?