How to appeal to reluctant Trump voters?

Hugo Stiglitz

Moderating policy to get disenchanted conservative Trump voters will alienate voters on the left and in the working class.

Ah, 2020.  Where it wasn't so much "Hillary sucks," but "Hillary sucks BECAUSE she's focusing on disenchanted suburban Republicans and not the base." 

Agree with everything Mojo Hand says up until his last paragraph.

Our country absolutely needs a moderate Dem (or Republican) party, and in fact its really the model that will allow it to best survive. 

Won't have it this cycle, or perhaps ever, but if people stopped being assholes who need to blow shit up, everyone would be a moderate Dem or Repub (with a sense of fiscal responsiblity).

Edited by tantric superman

1 minute ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Same reason you have the Bradley effect in polls, especially ones regarding trump. People know they should be ashamed but still have to go hit that R straight ticket button every time. With all the vile shit that trump has said and done, I will not be trusting the polls as much as usual this time around. 

there are definitely more closet nationalists in this country than we know about.  that's one thing 2016 taught us, and it hasn't changed any.  i expect trump to get just as many votes in 2020.  loyal to a fault,  they're going down with the ship.  

1 hour ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I'll bite. 

I'm a Trump voter, not a Trump supporter.  I look back on that vote as a personal failure, and won't be doing it again.  Though I'm conservative, I feel the damage being done to whatever unity we had in this country is of greater concern than some of the platforms I would hold to.  I didn't realize the extent, at the time, of the dumpster that is Trump's character.  I considered Hillary's character to be equally detestable, if less overt.  I was sick of the same old politicians running the show.  

You can pencil me in with the racists, the rednecks, and assume I'm voting the same come 2020, as some of you are prone to do.  But I won't be, and I don't know who I'll be voting for.  It seems apparent that I'll be voting for a Democratic president for the first time in my life, and I'm not sure which one is most appealing as of yet.

I rarely post on this board because it's full of hatred, assumption, and defining people on both sides with extremes.  But guys like Hugo are more right than you want to believe.  There are going to be a lot of people like me come 2020.

I was gonna vote Yang, but him raising his hand for healthcare for illegals have me thinking otherwise unless he says otherwise.

57 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I was gonna vote Yang, but him raising his hand for healthcare for illegals have me thinking otherwise unless he says otherwise.

You know we give free healthcare to illegals now right?  You think an undocumented immigrant shows up to the emergency room with a gunshot  to the chest and they just throw him out?  You think he’s going to pay the bill?  Nah, we pay for that shit through our inflated insurance premiums. 

That question in the debate was clearly a deceptive Chuck Todd troll question to mislead people like you. 

5 hours ago, relapse98 said:

But that's how they are. They think emotionally and not logically. 

Says the people who believe that if you offer free everything for anyone entering the country while at the same time refusing to enforce laws regarding legal entrance into said country everything will work out fine.  That's almost as good as the same people who believe this in this thread calling anyone who thinks differently a low information voter.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

You are really gonna come in here and spout this crap now? You cannot pretend that Trump is not a racist, or that a huge part of his core of support comes directly from racism.

HillDawg sucked as a candidate and she and her husband are both trash people but she was fucking right about at least one thing, and that is that the likes of you and your fellow Trump supporters are, in fact, deplorable. 

Maybe that's not the right word. How about hateful, or ignorant, or gullible, to go through a few adjectives.

In the category of nouns we have rubes, swine, trash, and Nazis. 

As of right now, that is what any supporter of Donald Trump is.

Get to fucking fuck with your goddamn pussyass whining about how Hillary was so mean to you.

Good thing you aren't thinking emotionally.

Edited by EMAWesome

8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Says the people who believe that if you offer free everything for anyone entering the country while at the same time refusing to enforce laws regarding legal entrance into said country everything will work out fine.  That's almost as good as the same people who believe this in this thread calling anyone who thinks differently a low information voter.

Who exactly are you talking to? And why are you posting at 3:00 in the morning Moscow time? Shouldn’t you be passed out from vodka by now? 

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I love Zavala telling us all what to do to cater to moderates.  LOL

He might as well have the stars and bars in his av...

Stars and bars have killed fewer people in the history of the world than hammer and sickle have.  The Democrat Party is running towards radical leftism like 15 year old girls to a Taylor Swift concert.  The majority of this country sees this and whether Trump appeals to that majority or not he is still more appealing to the majority of this country than a political party that seems to want to wipe their shoes on anything that represents America.  

The Democrat Party used to represent blue collar Americans-- the coal miner, the auto worker, the truck driver, the longshoreman, the common laborer, etc..  Now it has branded itself as the party that represents illegal immigration, eliminating the automobile and commercial trucking, and whining and moaning about everything that sucks about America while at the same time seeming to blame those same coal miners, auto workers, etc. as the cause of everything that sucks about America.  And you are wondering why they will not vote for you and calling these people low information voters and deplorable?  If you want to know why they are voting for Trump and not for you take a look in the mirror.  That is why they vote for Trump.

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

Stars and bars have killed fewer people in the history of the world than hammer and sickle have.  The Democrat Party is running towards radical leftism like 15 year old girls to a Taylor Swift concert.  The majority of this country sees this and whether Trump appeals to that majority or not he is still more appealing to the majority of this country than a political party that seems to want to wipe their shoes on anything that represents America.  

The Democrat Party used to represent blue collar Americans-- the coal miner, the auto worker, the truck driver, the longshoreman, the common laborer, etc..  Now it has branded itself as the party that represents illegal immigration, eliminating the automobile and commercial trucking, and whining and moaning about everything that sucks about America while at the same time seeming to blame those same coal miners, auto workers, etc. as the cause of everything that sucks about America.  And you are wondering why they will not vote for you and calling these people low information voters and deplorable?  If you want to know why they are voting for Trump and not for you take a look in the mirror.  That is why they vote for Trump.

You're a piece of shit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

When most of us talk about writing off Trump supporters, we typically mean people who still support him today, not Trump voters like you who realize they made a mistake in 2016.

As I see it, your category breaks down into (1) people who will definitely vote Dem one time only in 2020 to save the country, regardless of policy, and (2) people who will definitely not vote for Trump, but will either go third party or stay home unless there is a Dem they can swallow from a policy standpoint. 

There are two general strategies for group 2:   move them toward us by persuading them to join group 1, or move us toward them by moderating policy to get them to vote D.   

I think the first strategy is worthwhile.  The only practical alternative to Trump will be a Democrat.   The problems with Trump go beyond partisan policy differences.  Some of group 2 can be persuaded to hold their nose and vote D out of patriotism and moral duty.

I think the second strategy is self-destructive.   Moderating policy to get disenchanted conservative Trump voters will alienate voters on the left and in the working class.   And any success will be short-lived:  Biden will be light-years better than Trump, but IMO Trumpism will remain and return if the Dems don't provide a principled progressive alternative. 

Our country doesn't need (and can't survive) a moderate Dem party and a proto-fascist Republican party.  What we need is a progressive Dem party and a conservative Republican party (and maybe a moderate third party, which is a separate discussion).   IMO it was the moderation of the Dem party that led to this mess, with right-wing populism filling the void left vacant by Dems trying to appeal to voters in the ideological middle.   And it will be a return to progressivism that both gets our country back on track and forces the GOP to fix itself to compete. 

There has been one member of Congress suggesting the prosecution of anyone who criticizes a member of Congress and that member was not a Republican.  The modern Democrats are the fascists, not the Republicans.   We could run a little social experiment.  Have one person run around Portland, Oregon or Seattle wearing a MAGA hat and one person run around the Florida panhandle wearing a Hope and Change hat.  Let's see which person will be in more need of medical attention.  

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.-H. L. Mencken

There has been one member of Congress suggesting the prosecution of anyone who criticizes a member of Congress and that member was not a Republican.  The modern Democrats are the fascists, not the Republicans.   We could run a little social experiment.  Have one person run around Portland, Oregon or Seattle wearing a MAGA hat and one person run around the Florida panhandle wearing a Hope and Change hat.  Let's see which person will be in more need of medical attention.  

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.-H. L. Mencken                              

We have a Trumpkin crowd chanting to deport a US citizen as we speak. We have all the info we need about you and yours.

5 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

And you know I'm right which is why this is the only way you can reply to that.

You just tried to apologize for the Confederacy, slavery, and the war started by a bunch of racist assholes with a disingenuous comparison to Joseph Stalin's Soviet Union.

That makes you a shitbag. The fact that you continue to support Donald Trump makes you a racist shitbag.

Own it.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

I'll bite. 

I'm a Trump voter, not a Trump supporter.  I look back on that vote as a personal failure, and won't be doing it again.  Though I'm conservative, I feel the damage being done to whatever unity we had in this country is of greater concern than some of the platforms I would hold to.  I didn't realize the extent, at the time, of the dumpster that is Trump's character.  I considered Hillary's character to be equally detestable, if less overt.  I was sick of the same old politicians running the show.  

You can pencil me in with the racists, the rednecks, and assume I'm voting the same come 2020, as some of you are prone to do.  But I won't be, and I don't know who I'll be voting for.  It seems apparent that I'll be voting for a Democratic president for the first time in my life, and I'm not sure which one is most appealing as of yet.

I rarely post on this board because it's full of hatred, assumption, and defining people on both sides with extremes.  But guys like Hugo are more right than you want to believe.  There are going to be a lot of people like me come 2020.

How in the world did you not realize the the extent of Trump's character??? Not being a asshole,  but calling bullshit. A fucking blind man could see his character. Looks like trying to save face, but hey that's cool, all for it.

25 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Stars and Bars got their asses handed to them......

25 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Yawn.

Do your rants ever vary at all? I mean can’t you at least change it up a little bit? Make it somewhat interesting? This routine is boring me. 

Here is the message to relunctant/ashamed Trump 2016 voters:
"We are moving forward in our exact same direction and we would love for you to come along. We are not going to change our course one nanometer to accommodate your beliefs, but we will gladly welcome you into this movement as we fight for racial, economic, and environmental justice."

That's my offer to Ghost of Shag.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WgnBrnr said:

How in the world did you not realize the the extent of Trump's character??? Not being a asshole,  but calling bullshit. A fucking blind man could see his character. Looks like trying to save face, but hey that's cool, all for it.

You can believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WgnBrnr said:

Trump was normalized in our society by a lifetime of corrupt and amoral pieces of shit.  

How was Trump ever allowed to have his own prime time television show for a decade if he was such an awful human being?  

What kind of irresponsible broadcasting and unethical business practices would permit this career criminal to be fire hosed into the living rooms of millions of Americans every week for 10 years?

What kind of law enforcement mechanism allowed this man to go on committing numerous financial crimes, fraud, sex crimes, and deception without ever being held accountable?

Granted, we’re all free to make our own assessments of Donald Trump but there is a never ending line of people complicit in enabling this walking predator to appear as nothing more than an innocuous and successful American business leader. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You can believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me.

No I do believe you can/could easily acknowledge what a huge buffoon-ish asshole Trump was but his outsider status was an appeal and maybe, JUST MAYBE, getting elected would be the moment for him to act like an adult.  

It didn't.  You got duped, no biggie.  A lot of people thought he'd figure it out when he got to office and maybe act like an adult and be presidential.  Turns out he couldn't do it. 

20 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You know we give free healthcare to illegals now right?  You think an undocumented immigrant shows up to the emergency room with a gunshot  to the chest and they just throw him out?  You think he’s going to pay the bill?  Nah, we pay for that shit through our inflated insurance premiums. 

That question in the debate was clearly a deceptive Chuck Todd troll question to mislead people like you. 

Then maybe we should do something about the border instead of saying Trump was lying about it then after about a year of people saying it was bad. Then the dems look at the packed facilities and calling them concentration camps! Even Bernie said he wants the border closed.

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Here is the message to relunctant/ashamed Trump 2016 voters:
"We are moving forward in our exact same direction and we would love for you to come along. We are not going to change our course one nanometer to accommodate your beliefs, but we will gladly welcome you into this movement as we fight for racial, economic, and environmental justice."

That's my offer to Ghost of Shag.

This is what I’ve been saying. With the added addendum of “I don’t know what you’ve been told but here’s where we are on things. “

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Then maybe we should do something about the border instead of saying Trump was lying about it then after about a year of people saying it was bad. Then the dems look at the packed facilities and calling them concentration camps! Even Bernie said he wants the border closed.

Maybe Donald Trump shouldn't have turned down $25 billion for the border.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Maybe Donald Trump shouldn't have turned down $25 billion for the border.

Was that money attached to something else?  One of my bigger issues with Congress is they rarely can look at things on their own merits without pork and other riders. 

Guys, we should totally listen to OnBoard, Zavala, EASwam, and Slorch about what Democratic candidates need to offer and run on, because those guys aren’t completely and fundamentally dishonest or anything, and look - there is a real chance that they would consider voting for someone other than Trump, especially if the Dems would just listen to their advice.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

No I do believe you can/could easily acknowledge what a huge buffoon-ish asshole Trump was but his outsider status was an appeal and maybe, JUST MAYBE, getting elected would be the moment for him to act like an adult.  

It didn't.  You got duped, no biggie.  A lot of people thought he'd figure it out when he got to office and maybe act like an adult and be presidential.  Turns out he couldn't do it. 

Another factor along those lines is the fact that the average mom and dad in the US often don't have time to research Donald Trump's past. Most in here are pretty politically aware, and Cheeto has long resume of being a racist asshole who sucks at business. His record with respecting women is also horrible. So, admittedly, it's hard to see how people don't know his character, esp after the Access Hollywood tape. I'm sure Rush had an excuse for that.

With work, kids, etc., a lot of people don't have time. They'll listen to Rush during the day and Fox at night, and make their decision based on that. 

Edited by retread