fuck every tollway

HOOK'EMHOOAH

22 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Cheesy line aside, if the pentagon cant make their quotas for a functioning armed service, what do you think would happen exactly?  

So far it's been increasing incentives for critical rates. So I'll say they'd try increased wages across the board first and then more post-service benefits. There's never a shortage of young people looking for work or a leg up.

22 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

So far it's been increasing incentives for critical rates. So I'll say they'd try increased wages across the board first and then more post-service benefits. There's never a shortage of young people looking for work or a leg up.

So far.  Its still mandatory to register with selective service at 18.  

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Cheesy line aside, if the pentagon cant make their quotas for a functioning armed service, what do you think would happen exactly?  

Other than not meeting their quota, not much.

Budget cuts to the Defense Department budget? Taxpayer savings?

Edited by Asithappens

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

So far.  Its still mandatory to register with selective service at 18.  

Well yeah and for the last 50 years we've managed to meet our commitments with an all voluntary force. If history is any indicator that trend will continue until and unless a war dictates the reinstatement of the draft which is a totally different scenario entirely. When I volunteered I wasn't taking the place of some poor schmuck who didn't want to be there and that is still the case for anyone else who volunteers to serve. Maybe the word "strawman" fits here, not sure.

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

Well yeah and for the last 50 years we've managed to meet our commitments with an all voluntary force. If history is any indicator that trend will continue until and unless a war dictates the reinstatement of the draft which is a totally different scenario entirely. When I volunteered I wasn't taking the place of some poor schmuck who didn't want to be there and that is still the case for anyone else who volunteers to serve. Maybe the word "strawman" fits here, not sure.

I don't think it likely, but if somehow the pentagon's recruiting and retention tanked and put our two theater capability in peril, the government wouldn't sit back and shrug about it.  You can only incentivize so much, people already hate the pentagon's budget, and no one is going to pay a grunt a six figure salary.  If the numbers got to that point, I don't think its a stretch to believe that we would get some form of mandatory service until the numbers got straight again.  

And you're being disingenuous, there are plenty of poor schmucks that don't want to be in the military as soon as they step foot in boot camp.  Some guys join because the other choice was jail.  Some guys join because its the only way they can afford college, or medical coverage for their family.  Volunteering isnt always voluntary.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I don't think it likely, but if somehow the pentagon's recruiting and retention tanked and put our two theater capability in peril, the government wouldn't sit back and shrug about it.  You can only incentivize so much, people already hate the pentagon's budget, and no one is going to pay a grunt a six figure salary.  If the numbers got to that point, I don't think its a stretch to believe that we would get some form of mandatory service until the numbers got straight again.  

And you're being disingenuous, there are plenty of poor schmucks that don't want to be in the military as soon as they step foot in boot camp.  Some guys join because the other choice was jail.  Some guys join because its the only way they can afford college, or medical coverage for their family.  Volunteering isnt always voluntary.  

Sigh. Regardless, as long as the military IS all volunteer, no matter what the pressure are on individuals to volunteer, then they're not taking the place of anyone. And if/when the draft is reinstated for whatever reason  then it's no longer voluntary and the argument is moot (wrong word?).

I do think that selective service registration is probably a psychological factor in some people volunteering. They turn 18 and become aware of their obligation and then consider the military an option where they may have not before.

If we ever need a draft during peace time I'll concede this one and buy ya a beer. Deal? :)

1 minute ago, El Diablo said:

I do think that selective service registration is probably a psychological factor in some people volunteering.

You think? 

Not to flame, but I don't at all. 

Do girls have to register now? 

They should. 

It's interesting, imo, we have way too many out-of-shape kids who can't serve, but then warfare has turned a lot to drones and robots. So do we really need young, able-bodied cannon fodder? 

Just now, El Diablo said:

Sigh. Regardless, as long as the military IS all volunteer, no matter what the pressure are on individuals to volunteer, then they're not taking the place of anyone. And if/when the draft is reinstated for whatever reason  then it's no longer voluntary and the argument is moot (wrong word?).

I do think that selective service registration is probably a psychological factor in some people volunteering. They turn 18 and become aware of their obligation and then consider the military an option where they may have not before.

If we ever need a draft during peace time I'll concede this one and buy ya a beer. Deal? :)

Deal. 🍻

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Talking about signing up and all, we really (as a country) need to lose some weight. 

How many young people are too fat to qualify for the armed forces? Weigh [sic] too many.

A lot of services turned a blind eye to weight and PT in general especially the later into OEF we got.  That was all based on retention.  They are tightening things up again with new PT standards, but they aren't a blanket standard, they will be based around the MOS you're in.  While it will probably chap a lot of 11 bang bang asses, you don't want to be calling for drone support and find out they cant send one because your drone geek cant fireman carry his combat buddy.  

16 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Talking about signing up and all, we really (as a country) need to lose some weight. 

How many young people are too fat to qualify for the armed forces? Weigh [sic] too many.

If God had wanted them all over that obstacle He'd have miracled their asses over it...

5 hours ago, Asithappens said:

This is probably an unpopular opinion, but we're not in the draft. If you were "forced" into the armed forces and got injured/disabled that's a little bit different than if you volunteered. 

There should be some medical benefits and things like that for disabled vets (obviously), but free tolls? Homestead exemptions? Come on. People need to stop suckin' at the gubmint teat so much.

Slippery slope

54 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

I flipped through an old yearbook prior to a recent reunion. The kids I thought were "fat"  back then looked average for 2019. The rest of us looked like people who live in gyms, and we didn't exercise for shit.

Maybe we should drop the armed forces and just concentrate on getting the rest of the planet as fat as we are. Mexico has stepped up to the plate, the rest can too.

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

They can find a waiver for that. Just ask your recruiter.

3 hours ago, Asithappens said:

You think? 

Not to flame, but I don't at all. 

Do girls have to register now? 

They should. 

It's interesting, imo, we have way too many out-of-shape kids who can't serve, but then warfare has turned a lot to drones and robots. So do we really need young, able-bodied cannon fodder? 

"Cannon fodder. "

You bring up an interesting point. No one wants to be shot at, and hit much less hit. War still requires a human component. Presently, we live in an age where an unmanned aircraft could hypothetically launch a can of whoopass onto anyone. Many cans of whoopass infact. Ideally, said, whoopass is laid upon someone that agreed to be the target. So just because it hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it will never happen that an unmanned aerial vehicle couldn't be intercepted and used to harm an American life. There are many safeguards in place to prevent such an occurrence, but it could hypothetically happen.

I advocate for the human component to keep the enemy fire centered, but also keeps it away from the airspace we all expect to be free from danger.

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:50 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Slightly off topic, but do people with "DV" plates automatically have access to handicap parking?  Or is it just one of those things where they park in a handicap and no one is asshole enough to ticket a DV?

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, BillyGoatHill said:

Yes. They are allowed in a handicap space.

17 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

They have access. The spots in Killeen are filled with new Corvettes, Maseratis, AMGs, etc. 

Yep. And It SUCKS.  I'm former military, and I'm only here because both my parents were, and my Step Dad retired.  You simply can not find a handicapped parking spot in any type of busy part of the day.  Good luck going to Wal-Mart or HEB or getting a good spot for dinner.  EVERYONE has them.

I personally have a problem with everyone who's handicapped getting these privileges.  I believe handicapped parking should only be for those with legitimate issue walking far.  If you're missing a limb, or elderly, or have a short term pass due to leg/hip surgery.

But just because your grand ma is legally blind or def, whoever is driving them around gets to park that close?  If you have some very small percentage of disability for tendinitis or some shit, you shouldn't have free access to park in handicapped.  That's my rant.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I flipped through an old yearbook prior to a recent reunion. The kids I thought were "fat"  back then looked average for 2019. The rest of us looked like people who live in gyms, and we didn't exercise for shit.

Maybe we should drop the armed forces and just concentrate on getting the rest of the planet as fat as we are. Mexico has stepped up to the plate, the rest can too.

ISWYDT

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

Every tollway can eat a goddamn dick. Any road taxes pay for should never EVER have a toll on it. 

Fuck these bastards for charging tolls to disabled veterans. We paid with our goddamn lives and limbs to be able to drive wherever we goddamn well please/need to. There is literally not a single road in this fucking country any disabled veteran should be charged to drive on.

Here is the latest on the impact of the veterans program with CTRMA. It doesn't include phase 1 of the 183 East project in East Austin which just opened. 

CTRMA-Board-Presentation-091119-01.jpg
CTRMA-Board-Presentation-091119-02.jpg
CTRMA-Board-Presentation-091119-03.jpg
CTRMA-Board-Presentation-091119-04.jpg
CTRMA-Board-Presentation-091119-05.jpg