Actors that played Batman vs Actors that played 007

MoJames

Ok 2 iconic characters that have been played by a plethora of actors. Had this conversation with my buddy and he was very much team 007. I had to disagree saying Bale and Keaton were heads and shoulders above any 007 outside of Sean.  Thoughts?

Batman

Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale, (Will Arnett) ... Soon Robert Patterson

Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig

Don't forget Ben Affleck.

Daniel Craig was awesome as Bond. Maybe cooler than Connery. I said it.

If you look at it through the prism of, "played the role in a way that suited the era best," Craig beats Connery by a small margin.

To the OP, Keaton, Bale and Aflac > Connery, Craig and whoever else.

a slight highjack here, concerning Batman.

In 1989 my German cousin came over for a two-week visit. It just happened that it was the same time that my mother was going to have surgery for throat cancer, so we had her stay with friends because it was very likely that Mom was not going to survive (she did).

One night, to get away from the hospital and all that stuff, Bettina and I went to see Batman, with Michale Keaton.

Halfway through the movie she leaned over and asked, "What's this Bruce Wayne guy have to do with anything?"

To this day I can't watch a Batman movie without laughing. And never really watch them as seriously as a 007 movie.

I think Daniel Craig is very good as Bond. The sound is sometimes not very good in his movies. Connery was great as well. Roger Moore was let down by some horrible scripts, Moonraker, while Live & Let Die was pretty darn good.

Stopped watching Bond movies when Moore left.  Yeah, I know but his movies were great fun even if a bit heavy handed with the campiness of them.  No one tops Connery from either roles.  

1) Connery

2) Keaton 

The rest, don't really give a shit. 

19 hours ago, Augustus said:

I agree, because I like the way Craig played the character.  Much darker, less playboy.

Era appropriate.  Craig was the Jason Bourne era.  Brosnan was the Mission Impossible era. The Craig movies are better, but I bet in 20 years they’ll feel just as dated as Brosnans do because they are so era specific.  

Connery was the only original.  Because he was the original.  

As to the OP: I think the bottom end on Batman movies drags the whole franchise down so the actors suffer by comparison.  Bond has done a better job of keeping a respectable sheen.  Makes those actors look better.  

4 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

Era appropriate.  Craig was the Jason Bourne era.  Brosnan was the Mission Impossible era. The Craig movies are better, but I bet in 20 years they’ll feel just as dated as Brosnans do because they are so era specific.  

Connery was the only original.  Because he was the original.  

As to the OP: I think the bottom end on Batman movies drags the whole franchise down so the actors suffer by comparison.  Bond has done a better job of keeping a respectable sheen.  Makes those actors look better.  

I agree about the batman series, but I disagree about the Bond series.  Good character portrayals are timeless.  Connerys Bond still works today because the movies around him were pretty strong,  he embodied the international man of mystery so well, and like you said he was the first to do it.  Moores don't because it was so campy, unbelievable, and the stories got a little silly. 

Craigs will actually stand time better IMO, because it's a much more gritty, darker portrayal of the character.  I didn't care that much for the Brosnan Bond. The movies weren't bad, but I just never bought his 007 portrayal, too pretty and refined a character.   Connery had that bad boy persona that Brosnan never had. Add a bit of camp to his portrayal, and he's another Moorelike Bond.

Daltons movies should have held up better as he was more the darker Craig type, but he just didn't do it for whatever reason.  I can't even remember his movies, and they never get played it seems. Lazenby was better, and way under rated. His bad fortune was following Connery, and wearing a kilt.

21 hours ago, Underdog said:

Stopped watching Bond movies when Moore left.  Yeah, I know but his movies were great fun even if a bit heavy handed with the campiness of them.  No one tops Connery from either roles.  

1) Connery

2) Keaton 

The rest, don't really give a shit. 

You can skip over the 1990's Pierce Brosnan era, but you owe it to yourself to see Daniel Craig's Bond before making that claim.

• Like 1

It appears that I am in the minority, but I liked Brosnan as Bond.  His films were meh, but that is true of almost the entire 007 franchise.  They are good fun, but far from transcendent film watching.  I do agree that Connery will always be tops, and Craig is great.  I hated Dalton and Moore.    

I love West as Batman, but it is apples and oranges to compare tv roles to film roles (West's 1966 film notwithstanding).  I have yet to see anyone play Batman where I think, "yeah, that's great casting."  Disclaimer:  I have not seen the 1943 nor 1949 films.   

7 hours ago, idigTexas said:

It appears that I am in the minority, but I liked Brosnan as Bond.  His films were meh, but that is true of almost the entire 007 franchise.  They are good fun, but far from transcendent film watching.  I do agree that Connery will always be tops, and Craig is great.  I hated Dalton and Moore.    

I love West as Batman, but it is apples and oranges to compare tv roles to film roles (West's 1966 film notwithstanding).  I have yet to see anyone play Batman where I think, "yeah, that's great casting."  Disclaimer:  I have not seen the 1943 nor 1949 films.   

He was OK as Bond, and was a better Bond then Moore.  I just never bought his 007 toughness. 

I always thought Brosnan would be a great Bond (Remington Steele was his warm up) until he actually played Bond. The films didn't have the greatest scripts and he just didn't fit the role.

The scene of him driving the tank in GoldenEye was pretty cool, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy-MKdRwhHs

Edited by RPM

Connery, Craig, Lazenby - After Connery every new Bond was trying to be him. Really wish Lazenby had continued for at least 2 more Bonds and if so I think he would have defined it like Connery. His ego got in the way and it ruined his career.

Keaton, West, Bale - Keaton was great. 

Lazenby is underrated.  If he had continued in the role, Lanzenby could have carried the franchise for several movies.  Connery and Craig were great in their respective era.

Keaton was the best Batman.  Bale was good.  West was good for his version.

Advantage James Bond.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:17 PM, Neonmoon said:

No respect for Dalton - 80s cocaine bond?

Dalton was great, but people were expecting another Moore/Brosnan type.

Dalton was the first to actually play Bond as Fleming wrote him. Mean, serious, holds a grudge, etc. And Craig has done it even better.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 9:24 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

a slight highjack here, concerning Batman.

In 1989 my German cousin came over for a two-week visit. It just happened that it was the same time that my mother was going to have surgery for throat cancer, so we had her stay with friends because it was very likely that Mom was not going to survive (she did).

One night, to get away from the hospital and all that stuff, Bettina and I went to see Batman, with Michale Keaton.

Halfway through the movie she leaned over and asked, "What's this Bruce Wayne guy have to do with anything?"

To this day I can't watch a Batman movie without laughing. And never really watch them as seriously as a 007 movie.

I think Daniel Craig is very good as Bond. The sound is sometimes not very good in his movies. Connery was great as well. Roger Moore was let down by some horrible scripts, Moonraker, while Live & Let Die was pretty darn good.

Pics?