Life (1999)- Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence, Bernie Mac, Anthony Anderson

Goo Punch

This is a movie that everyone where i'm from loves (note: where i come from there's a lot of black folks). however, essentially nobody i know who isn't black or from my hometown has seen this movie. shaggy was super white bread at its inception, but it's definitely seen it's soul quotient go up over the years, so i'm assuming we'll have plenty of people here who also love this movie.

We're on vacation in Port Aransas and we watched this last night. Damn if i don't still laugh just as hard today as i did back then. "I'm da pappy!" lmao. Great movie, and one you should watch if you haven't already.

• Like 2

RIP Bernie Mac. An underrated and under appreciated comedian in his own time. To me he's a genius, and it still saddens me that he's gone. In all honestly i don't know how they finished a single take with him on set in character as Jangalang. Just a naturally hilarious person. Great performance in a small role.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

In my top 10 favorite movies and easily the best drama-comedy ive ever seen. Its also murphy’s and lawrence’s best film

It would be considered one of the best comedies of all time by many if it didnt have an almost all black cast

One of the most underrated movies ever made

lulz

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

Now if he said all of that about Coming to America, I might have bought it.

a thousand times this.  That said, LIfe was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!  Funny as heck from beginning to end with great performances by the smaller role players too. 

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, d2o said:

a thousand times this.  That said, LIfe was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!  Funny as heck from beginning to end with great performances by the smaller role players too. 

lol yup.

some of his outtakes that they showed at the end are as funny as anything in the actual movie. 

40 minutes ago, lateshow said:

Strange. Because just about every white person I know has seen this movie.

I enjoy the hell out of it. I'll watch it every time I see it on. 

maybe it's that most of the white people i know are from West Austin and we're in middle school/elementary school when this came out. 

Edited by Goo Punch

The thought that most white people aren't aware of an Eddie Murphy movie is more than a bit bizarre, especially one with the strong ensemble cast Life has.  It's got several, pretty well known black stars, and was a big release from the studio.  Both Murphy and Lawrence have been lead characters in several movies throughout the years.   

I'm sure there are some folks out there that live under large rocks, but I don't think I know any.  It wasn't Medea goes to camp.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The thought that most white people aren't aware of an Eddie Murphy movie is more than a bit bizarre, especially one with the strong ensemble cast Life has.  It's got several, pretty well known black stars, and was a big release from the studio.  Both Murphy and Lawrence have been lead characters in several movies throughout the years.   

I'm sure there are some folks out there that live under large rocks, but I don't think I know any.  It wasn't Medea goes to camp.

you're taking me relating my own personal experience, and trying to turn it into some opinionated commentary on who all has and hasn't seen this movie. as Greenspoint pointed out, this movie should have more acclaim and awards and recognition, but because its nearly an all-black cast it has none of the acclaim or fanfare that it deserves. in my personal experience the black folks i know hold this movie in high esteem while the white folks i know by and large have never seen it. that's my experience- it's not some blanket statement about white people avoiding this movie.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

you're taking me relating my own personal experience, and trying to turn it into some opinionated commentary on who all has and hasn't seen this movie. as Greenspoint pointed out, this movie should have more acclaim and awards and recognition, but because its nearly an all-black cast it has none of the acclaim or fanfare that it deserves. in my personal experience the black folks i know hold this movie in high esteem while the white folks i know by and large have never seen it. that's my experience- it's not some blanket statement about white people avoiding this movie.

Nope, just pointing out that it was a feature/nationally released film. If the white people you know didn't see it or know about it you lived off the pretty beaten path.  It's not an attack so stop with the Jesus on the cross act you like to play at whenever anyone posts something you don't like, and take it as some personal attack.

(SEE: the living under rock comment)

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Gonna have to agree with this

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nope, just pointing out that it was a feature/nationally released film. If the white people you know didn't see it or know about it you lived off the pretty beaten path.  It's not an attack so stop with the Jesus on the cross act you like to play at whenever anyone posts something you don't like, and take it as some personal attack.

(SEE: the living under rock comment)

I remember thinking it was too long for a comedy but now see it's official 1:48.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, chesthair said:

My youngest son's nickname is "cant get right".  so yes, i love this movie. 

Anytime, there is someone who is constantly in the news for fucking up I just post a pic of him.

"The Up-per rooooooom"

"You gon eatcho con'bread"

So many great quotes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So he says!

A lotta people say it though

At least he didnt kill Santa Claus

Which one-a-ya ni&&as killed Santa Claus!?

It wasnt THE Santa Claus... just a man in a suit, ringing a bell

(bernie mac under his breath) “i didnt get any presents... nothin”

amazing scene

Best scene in the movie cause of Macs little under the breath comments.

42 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

tenor.gif?itemid=8956795

The first time we saw this in the theater, the whole fucking theater was cracking up on this scene.    Couldn't even hear the next few lines hahahahahahahahah

Anything with Eddie doing old characters is fucking hilarious.   The barber in Coming to America, all the Klumps, etc.   Lawrence can hold his hold for sure with all of the crazy characters he played on his Martin.     I bet there are 10x the outtakes that they showed laying around somewhere.