Berkeley, CA at it again- Manhole becomes Maintenance hole

JimmyHoffa

A California city voted to ban some gender-specific words in its city code and replace them with gender-neutral options.

Berkeley's municipal code will no longer feature words like "manhole" and "manpower," and instead say, "maintenance hole" and "human effort" or "workforce." The measure passed unanimously Tuesday and replaces more than two dozen terms.

Gender-specific references to job titles, like "policeman" and "craftsmen," will also be changed in the code, to "police officer" and "craftspeople" or "artisans."  

"Sorority" and "fraternity" would change to "collegiate Greek system residence." And the use of gendered pronouns, like "he" and "she," would be replaced with specific titles, like "the attorney" or "the candidate."

Rigel Robinson, the council member who proposed the measure, praised its passage in a tweet Tuesday.

"There is power in language. This is a small move, but it matters," he tweeted.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/18/berekeley-bans-gendered-words-manhole-becomes-maintenance-hole/1764901001/

59 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

What will they resort to at the municipal hospital maternity ward when a boy or girl is born? In fact, what are they going to rename the “maternity” ward with?

That's easy. It's a baby that hasn't chosen it's gender yet and it's a birth ward. It's about the children, not the mother. 

4 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

That's easy. It's a baby that hasn't chosen it's gender yet and it's a birth ward. It's about the children, not the mother. 

Why are you assuming the gender of the birthing person?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ajax said:

Why are you assuming the gender of the birthing person?

Birthing person it is. But that's why we are ditching the maternity ward name in the first place. 

Also, mother isn't referring to a gender. It's referring to someone who gives birth. Whether a person identifies as female or male, if they give birth to something, they are a mother. 

33 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

What about manslaughter?

I'm sure we will be seeing a defense lawyer roll with that soon.

Your honor, my client could not possibly have committed manslaughter as the deceased is a woman. As there is no crime of womanslaughter or personslaughter, my client must be found not guilty. 

Berkeley has also just changed the building code so that new residences are not allowed to have natural gas utilities....I'm sure heating a house in the winter with electricity will be cheap.  Cooking with electric is fun, too.

37 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Berkeley has also just changed the building code so that new residences are not allowed to have natural gas utilities....I'm sure heating a house in the winter with electricity will be cheap.  Cooking with electric is fun, too.

I was unaware that natural gas was considered sexist, or racist, or any other kind of ist.  If the ban is because it's a fossil fuel then I guess they aren't aware that natural gas is the single largest source of electrical generation in the U.S.

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

What will they resort to at the municipal hospital maternity ward when a boy or girl is born? In fact, what are they going to rename the “maternity” ward with?

There is a push to stop using gender with newborns and children. They will ask “Sex:?” and you respond with male or female to anatomical sex, but not gender. Can’t say boy or girl. 

It's not whether anyone here gives a flying fuck about it or not. I'd hope that about 99% of the posters on the Surly have more important things in their lives (like posting needless, irrelevant shit here) than worrying about the term manhole, and its gender insulting terminology, and that is should be changed.

That Berkley, CA. feels that the name manhole is such an important, pressing matter, and requires time to be spent discussing its grotesque ramifications, and that tax payer money should be spent to change it to something that doesn't trigger the snowflakes that so completely inhabit the ranks of the DNC, says all you need to know about the far left liberal mind set.  

It's a fucked up place where reality is ignored, and common sense, and perspective is nowhere to be seen.  

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

What if someone doesn't identify as human? Seems oppressive to those people. 

I am sorry, I shouldn't have used the word people. That's insensitive. Seems oppressive to those sentient beings. 

Edited by TornACL

1 hour ago, Steel Shank said:

Anybody other than me ever bang a Berkeley city council chick?

Not me, but I did nail a Cal chick back in the day.  MIcrobiology, IIRC.   Not bad looking at all, but her snatch was a little too hairy for my taste.  

I can only assume California will be canceling all Romance languages.  700,000  nouns per language, five of them plus Latin.  Over four million nouns, each of them labeled with a masculine or feminine article. 

The irony being these folks think they have the enlightened worldview.  The logical result of your program will be to eliminate tens of millions of nouns across dozens, maybe hundreds of languages and dialects.  And you can’t just take away the El or La, because we know...we know 

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's not whether anyone here gives a flying fuck about it or not. I'd hope that about 99% of the posters on the Surly have more important things in their lives (like posting needless, irrelevant shit here) than worrying about the term manhole, and its gender insulting terminology, and that is should be changed.

That Berkley, CA. feels that the name manhole is such an important, pressing matter, and requires time to be spent discussing its grotesque ramifications, and that tax payer money should be spent to change it to something that doesn't trigger the snowflakes that so completely inhabit the ranks of the DNC, says all you need to know about the far left liberal mind set.  

It's a fucked up place where reality is ignored, and commons sense, and perspective is nowhere to be seen.  

They’re doing it to get snowflakes like you riled up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

They’re doing it to get snowflakes like you riled up.

Yeah that's it. I'm all riled up.  More like people in the democrat party have such fucked up priorities, and philosophies they have to invent issues to solve whatever problem the word manhole creates.....

Oh no a man hole over... I'm repressed I'm repressed....I'm repressed....  

I bet every time they hear "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" they wanna leap off a building in abject horror.....  but I'm sure they'll handle it by banning it from their local school systems history curriculum... problem solved...

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

OMG they changed some words in a city handbook, next thing you know they'll he colluding with a foreign government, locking up kids in cages, and getting away with rape!

Yeah, figures it would go right over your head PatC.  

Those word are pressing issues in todays word....  We need to address this major major issue before its too late.

17 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Is english not your first language?

Oh that's a triggering offense. English ??  thats a brutal, empire that conquered, and oppressed people every where.

We prefer non nationality specific language. I'm sure you're more comfortable now.  Again the whole irony laden, hilarity of the issue ent right over your head.

We have to change the name of San Francisco then.  San is for male saints, Santa for female saints.  That's a masculine article.  That's more sexist than "Manhole" cover.  

So no San Francisco, no Santa Clara, no San Jose, no Santa Rosa, no San Rafael, no San Pablo, no San Mateo, no San Leandro, no San Gregorio, no Santa Cruz, or San Martin.  And that's just in the Bay Area, near Berkeley.  I guess we'll change them all to Sanx?  What about Los Gatos?  That's a masculine/male article.  Literally right next to Berkeley is a little suburb called El Cerrito.  From now on, it's just Cerrito.  There's a San Carlos Street in downtown Berkeley.  Gotta change that, because San is male.  Articles and pronouns are sexist!