Berkeley, CA at it again- Manhole becomes Maintenance hole

JimmyHoffa

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think AOC is a player in the future. I think Ilhan is a one shot pony, and will be gone soon. She seems to have some pretty anti American sentiment considering she was given a lottery ticket to this country.

Stop it with the bashing of the Women of Coloring Books outside of the Cloak Room.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Colorado State: 'Avoid' using 'Americans,' 'America'

CSU's online Inclusive Language Guide, compiled by the school’s Inclusive Communications Task Force, lists certain words and phrases to avoid while providing  replacements in an effort to help “communicators practice inclusive language and [help] everyone on [its] campus feel welcomed, respected, and valued.” The school's Women and Gender Collaborative website directly links to the document. 

CSU lists both “American” and “America” as non-inclusive words "to avoid," due to the fact that America encompasses more than just the U.S. By referring to the U.S. as America, the guide claims that one “erases other cultures and depicts the United States as the dominant American country.” The school suggests using “U.S. citizen” or “person from the U.S.” as substitutes. 

The university additionally lists many gendered words and phrases to avoid. These include “male,” “female,” “ladies and gentlemen,” and “Mr./Mrs./Ms.” 

“Male and female refers to biological sex and not gender,” says the guide. “In terms of communication methods (articles, social media, etc.), we very rarely need to identify or know a person’s biological sex and more often are referring to gender.”

“Straight” is another word to avoid, according to CSU. The guide explained that “when used to describe heterosexuals, the term straight implies that anyone LGBT is ‘crooked’ or not normal,” and says to use the word “heterosexual” instead.

“Normal person” was also listed as a phrase to avoid because it “implies that ‘other’ people… are not whole or regular people.” The guide offered no substitute word because it claimed that it is never appropriate to use the phrase to describe someone.

According to the list, the phrase “handicap parking” should also not be used because it can “minimize personhood” and offend disabled people. The guide recommends “accessible parking” as an alternative.

“War,” “cake walk,” “eenie meenie miney moe,” “Eskimo,” “freshman,” “hip hip hooray!”, “hold down the fort,” “starving,” and “policeman” were among other words and phrases deemed non-inclusive by CSU.  (snip)

Man how I wish this had been in effect in grade school, I could have avoided being sent straight to the principal's office all those times.

I expect this bullshit from Boulder, not from Fort Collins. (disclosure: I love Boulder, UC, and Moe's Bagels, and the weed dispenseries there).

Grow a pair (of balls), get a spine, get thick skin, use whatever idiom you want, but jesus people, if you're so fucking scared of mere words then you're gonna have a bad time. 

Don't pizza when you should french fry.

(aside: I love Colorado State. Went there recently visiting an aunt/uncle and the student union gave out free New York Times. Free. New. York. Times. It's like I died and went to heaven. I still can't believe it. Thanks, Auntie Joyce  :) 

Edited by Asithappens

3 minutes ago, Lobo said:

That's El/La Lobx.  

Ella Lobx.  I guess the articles have "L" in common.  So xLx would be the new gender-neutral article in Spanish.  It's Le & La in French, so that'll just Lx.  It's Il & La in Italian, so that'll be xLx as well.  Plus whatever we need to do on Latin, Romanian, and Portuguese.  why are books identified as masculine?  And college?  And knowledge?  And consciousness?  So fucking gender toxic!   

I get a kick out of explaining that feminism is a masculine word and pick-up truck is feminine. Really wakes the class up and gets em feisty.

The Romance definite articles come from Latin illus/illa/illum (if I wasn't drunk the day they taught that,) which were pointing out words like "this" and "that", and like those words shortened into the definite articles.

Pointing is rude, as is singling someone/somebeings out for attention. Perhaps we should rethink the use of any definite articles and the harm they may cause.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Smoking ban was definitely a good idea but there's a bar here in our town that just pays the fine so you can smoke in the bar.  It's like memory lane when all bars were like that.

by "that" you mean polluted, poison-holes of stink?

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think AOC is a player in the future. I think Ilhan is a one shot pony, and will be gone soon. She seems to have some pretty anti American sentiment considering she was given a lottery ticket to this country.

Omar is in no way anti-American. She is anti-Zionist and anti-white nationalist. 

The person who is anti-American is the one who is telling other Americans they should leave. 

I think both AOC and Omar will last.  Omar is better at policy. AOC is better at shutting down the other side. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

19 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

This sounds like something from a george carlin bit.

2 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

No one who is moderately left would refer to our National Anthem as "a song,"  I'll leave it at that and hang up and listen.

I think the correct nomenclature is drinking song. And the more things change, the more they stay the same. Stravinsky caused some controversy for his beautiful arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner. It all seems silly, tame, and quite pointless today.

45 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I thanked him for his definition. I think it elevates it above “a song.”  If it was just a song, why protest it?

He didn't protest the song.  He protested police brutality.  At no point did anyone say anything to the effect of "fuck the national anthem, this song and country are trash", but yet it's spun that way.

I understand why people get offended by flag burning, or desecrating other national symbols.  He merely knelt during the national anthem to draw attention to a serious issue and people act like he was one of the pilots on Flight 11.  It's such a quiet, benign gesture that bears no resemblance to traditional antagonism.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Did he REALLY kneel to draw attention to a serious issue though?

Really?

You're sure about that?

My cynical side thinks Kaepernick saw his relevance as a player slipping and saw an opportunity to get attention. 

On the other hand, a bunch of players who weren't in danger of losing relevance joined in, so I think there's some legitimacy to that intention among the majority of guys who did it.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

He didn't protest the song.  He protested police brutality.  At no point did anyone say anything to the effect of "fuck the national anthem, this song and country are trash", but yet it's spun that way.

I understand why people get offended by flag burning, or desecrating other national symbols.  He merely knelt during a song to draw attention to a serious issue and people act like he was one of the pilots on Flight 11.  It's such a quiet, benign gesture that bears no resemblance to traditional antagonism.

Why choose a random song unless it has no meaning?  Why not protest outside a police station?

1 hour ago, Mole said:

I think the correct nomenclature is drinking song. And the more things change, the more they stay the same. Stravinsky caused some controversy for his beautiful arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner. It all seems silly, tame, and quite pointless today.

Next thing you"ll say is that The Eyes of Texas is a silly song about trains.

22 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Why choose a random song unless it has no meaning?  Why not protest outside a police station?

Because they play the national anthem before every game, televise it, and he knew that a segment of society would lose their damn mind over it.

I will grant you that the act was definitely provocative (aren't all protests?), but that has more to do with the predictably emotional reaction from a segment of our country than it does the objectively offensive nature of the act itself.  Flag burning, for example, is an obviously antagonistic behavior.  You are quite literally destroying a symbol.

He simply took a different action than the norm in this setting.  There's nothing inherently antagonistic about kneeling.  But there are enough people that freak out if anyone does anything other than remove their hat, put their hand over their heart, and sing during the national anthem.  He didn't jump around.  He didn't act flashy.  He just did something different.  The people who react strongly to this are people who are very easily offended, because there's little about this gesture that would be seen as universally offensive.  IMO, it is analogous to people on the left losing their mind when some refers to Caitlyn Jenner as Bruce in terms of it's overreaction.  Yeah, at this point everyone knows they prefer Caitlyn, so it's clearly mildly antagonistic, but it really shouldn't be viewed as some kind of level offense.  Just like kneeling during the anthem.  IMO.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

21 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Next thing you"ll say is that The Eyes of Texas is a silly song about trains.

I'll admit I was very surprised to hear that melody set to something that 100,000 people were taking very seriously when I visited DKR in 2010.

15 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I think it’s a stupid thing to do but even more stupid to think it’s a reflection of an entire party and to waste multiple paragraphs whining about it.

You don’t like it?  Fucking leave. Oh, you don’t live there?  Then shut the fuck up already.

funny as Trump said that to the bimbo quartet and the backlash hes received.....

13 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

What hurts the party the most is that the left doesn't just turn out for every piece of shit that runs under it's banner.  A big reason Clinton lost (the biggest, IMO) is the sheer number of left leaning folks who despised her and wouldn't vote for her (like myself).  I know a lot of right leaning folks that can't stand Trump, but they all voted for him, and they will again.  Raw tribalism is healthier on the right than the left as I see it.

But I'm not that concerned about the party.  I'm moderately left and find the general incompetence of the Democratic party to be a huge turn off.

I also don't think that from a policy stand point that the "national level" is as far left as advertised.  "The Squad" gets a lot of media attention, but it's pretty obvious that the party's power brokers view them as too extreme and are isolating them.  A lot of the stupid shit you see liberals embracing is also being done at say the university level, or just in someone's blog - these aren't decision makers.  It pretty quickly becomes the narrative for defining where the left is going in today's culture (which drives a lot of reasonable people away), but I know very few people who embrace that extreme version of left wing politics.

And I realize I'm kind of rambling at this point (but fuck it), and this just circles me back the stupidity of a 2 party system.  In no way can 2 political parties adequately represent the interests of 350 million people.  It's completely absurd.

Bullshit.  Ted Kennedy.  Robert Byrd.  Two of the biggest pieces of shit in American politics the last 40 years.  Both in major leadership positions.

On 7/18/2019 at 8:19 PM, UTGrad98 said:

The world is slowly turning me republican, one ridiculous change at a time.  

bs13690-83559-albums-animated-gifs-pic43

On 7/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, Gil Bang said:

Not me, but I did nail a Cal chick back in the day.  MIcrobiology, IIRC.   Not bad looking at all, but her snatch was a little too hairy for my taste.  

i think I see what you did there.

9 hours ago, RPM said:

I have to formally apologise for not stating my opinion on a local municipality naming their infrastructure facilities. My bad.

I give 0 fucks.

Imagine spending 1 second of your week worrying about it. Berkeley is liberal. Water is wet.

• Like 1

I have to formally apologise for not stating my opinion on a local municipality naming their infrastructure facilities. My bad.
I give 0 fucks.

Hard to believe people are having a discussion about something on a discussion board. What’s the world coming to?

Best way to show you give 0 fucks is by not wasting your time posting about how many fucks you give. Just saying.
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Hard to believe people are having a discussion about something on a discussion board. What’s the world coming to?

Best way to show you give 0 fucks is by not wasting your time posting about how many fucks you give. Just saying.

Now we're having discussions about people having discussions, about people having discussions about topics...

First they came for the man holes and I did nothing.

Then they came for Manwich, and still I did nothing

But then they came for the Hungry Man dinners, and I had to take a stand.

Edited by Onboard 2.0