2020 DL Van Fillinger

Machinator

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Sometime in 2022:

Fowler:  Herbie, Van Fillinger really got into great shape in the off-season.  You visited with him at practice this week.  What did he say was the secret behind his breakthrough in conditioning?

Herbstreit: Yeah, Chris, I asked him how he got so jacked, and his answer surprised me.  He said it was from laying pipe all summer.  

Fowler:  Interesting.  You don’t see a lot of guys working construction in the off-season, especially not a Radio, Television & Film major like Fillinger.

Herbstreit:  That’s what I thought, too, Chris, but it doesn’t stop there.  He told me he’s been a pizza delivery boy, a cable guy, and get this, even a prison guard.  He told me it doesn’t matter what it is, if someone has an opening, then he’s willing to fill it.

Fowler:  Wow.  Quite the Renaissance Man.  

Holy shit, we got Johnny Sins?

• Like 1

Holy crap.  Had no idea this was coming.  OG says "hold my beer."  I don't remember hearing much about this guy other than we wanted him (like when he might verbal, sho was leading, etc). Sounds like an elite athlete.  

Who is next Princely?

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu.

Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? I'm in no way discounting him, he may be great but I am obviously missing something. A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu.

Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? I'm in no way discounting him, he may be great but I am obviously missing something. A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

At his size, with his frame, a 4.25 shuttle time is ridiculous. For comparison, average times for linebackers at the NFL combine are in the 4.35 range. Linemen are considered good at 4.4; for DT's, 4.5 is average.

Add to that the fact that his big weakness is technique, which can be taught, and you've got a high floor guy, with an undetermined ceiling. That kind of a get is essential.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, markstanco said:

A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

I'm not going to pretend this guy is a superstud, but Kansas State would kill for a team full of #373s.

Van Fillinger's current rating is 0.8884, which is in line with the average rating of a South Carolina, Oregon, Nebraska-level recruit based on 2019 ratings.

If he ends up being our third-best DL take, the coaching staff did their job.

Edited by Machinator

11 minutes ago, markstanco said:

He’s got a great offer list and close to freakish verified combine stats.  He’s rated 4 stars by two of the services and will likely end up a 4 star.  This staff isn’t perfect but it can evaluate with anyone.  

• Like 2

If you are from Texas and live in Manor and think playing against Elgin and Taylor makes you a 5 star Myles Garrett clone, then party on Princely.  But if you are a big bad 3 star kid from Draper, Utah with better measurables and  came to UT twice on his own dime, then the choice is clear.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm not going to pretend this guy is a superstud, but Kansas State would kill for a team full of #373s.

Van Fillinger's current rating is 0.8884, which is in line with the average rating of a South Carolina, Oregon, Nebraska-level recruit based on 2019 ratings.

If he ends up being our third-best DL take, the coaching staff did their job.

He'll be 3rd best at worst. Let that sink in for a second.

At the end of the Longhorn Blitz podcast that went up today, Howe and Roach discuss Fillinger. He already had a solid offer list when he reached out to UT and expressed interest. At first staff didn't think he was serious but they invited him down and the rest is history/what's been posted above. 

20 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Most of the reason he barely came up is that people thought we had no shot. A Poly OOS guy with that offer list (regardless of how many are commitable) and Giles as his position coach isn't exactly an inspiring conversation for Texas most of the time.

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Most of the reason he barely came up is that people thought we had no shot. A Poly OOS guy with that offer list (regardless of how many are commitable) and Giles as his position coach isn't exactly an inspiring conversation for Texas most of the time.

We were all selling Giles short. It turns out that he was the one who taught Kyra Sedgwick how to be a closer.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Sometime in 2022:

Fowler:  Herbie, Van Fillinger really got into great shape in the off-season.  You visited with him at practice this week.  What did he say was the secret behind his breakthrough in conditioning?

Herbstreit: Yeah, Chris, I asked him how he got so jacked, and his answer surprised me.  He said it was from laying pipe all summer.  

Fowler:  Interesting.  You don’t see a lot of guys working construction in the off-season, especially not a Radio, Television & Film major like Fillinger.

Herbstreit:  That’s what I thought, too, Chris, but it doesn’t stop there.  He told me he’s been a pizza delivery boy, a cable guy, and get this, even a prison guard.  He told me it doesn’t matter what it is, if someone has an opening, then he’s willing to fill it.

Fowler:  Wow.  Quite the Renaissance Man.  

I have no idea why I laughed at this, but I did.

39 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu. Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? 

D_yp16LWsAImTnS.jpg

• Like 1

At his size, with his frame, a 4.25 shuttle time is ridiculous. For comparison, average times for linebackers at the NFL combine are in the 4.35 range. Linemen are considered good at 4.4; for DT's, 4.5 is average.

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. That's my point. Like I said he may be a badass, but none of the blue bloods seem to care nor do the agencies.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. That's my point. Like I said he may be a badass, but none of the blue bloods seem to care nor do the agencies.

Because his tape is decent, not elite. He's a bit stiff in the hips and while his frame is good, he won't carry as much healthy weight like Collins will.

#373 is still fringe four-star territory.

Edited by Machinator

Just now, markstanco said:
2 minutes ago, Machinator said:
Because his tape is decent, not elite. He's a bit stiff in the hips and while his frame is good, he won't carry as much healthy weight like Collins will.

You are missing my point. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and restart.

I understand your point. He's a good get, not great. Most people understand that, but being human (unlike me), they are going to be prone to exuberance and slight hyperbole when we add a good prospect at an important position. Plus,  the staff has shown that they can maximize lower-rated players and turn them into quality contributors, even against the Georgias and OUs of the world.

Does that answer your question, Mr. Enlightened Contrarian?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, markstanco said:
7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Because we have a recruiting board managed by the coach Tom Herman who has concluded that it is best to add Van Fillinger now than it is to wait for Princely U.  WTF is so hard to understand?

Edited by lemonandaturd

3 minutes ago, markstanco said:
5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Your point is pretty stupid. We're not talking about DL1, we're talking about DL3. And take a look at 'bama's recruiting through the years -- there's plenty of 3 stars in their #1 classes, they were just well scouted, that's all. Same thing here.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:

What are you talking about? 247 shows offers from 5/8 of the blue bloods (USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Texas). He also has offers from LSU, UCLA, and Washington. I get he’s a 3 star but plenty of quality schools offered him.

Edited by Baconboy
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Baconboy said:

What are you talking about? 247 shows offers from 5/8 of the blue bloods (USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Texas). He also has an offer from LSU. I get he’s a 3 star but plenty of quality schools offered him.

This!!! Why was JJ Watt overlooked? It happens. At least this kid is being offered by blue bloods.

Yes, he’s a little stiff, but he has a hell of a motor. His first step is pretty tremendous, truthfully. He gets no credit for that. He’s in the backfield many times before the offensive lineman knows what happened. He looks powerful on tape, and his combine numbers support that. He also had a hell of a rip move in at least one of the clips that jumped out at me. His technique isn’t as bad as some say. In fact, it’s probably better than most kids at his stage of development. I think he’s a great pickup and better than other four-star kids out there on the camp circuit. 

If he played in a state that produced more top tier athletes, I’m think he might have a higher rating. I think he’s underrated, and I’m betting his ratings will improve. 

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

The staff makes the call to take Van Fillinger over Princely Umanmielen. Probably for the best as it is easy to confuse Prince and Princely. Is there room left for Jalen Logan-Redding?

Princely has had half a year to commit being a local kid.  He fooled around and got the idea he's a 4-3 DE and the staff got tired of waiting and went and got a kid who by the looks has more upside.

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Princely has had half a year to commit being a local kid.  He fooled around and got the idea he's a 4-3 DE and the staff got tired of waiting and went and got a kid who by the looks has more upside.

So what about JL-R? IIRC, he's visited thrice.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not only that, all the scouting stories talk about how well he'll (Fillinger) fit as a 4i; he's cool with that. What more could we be asking for?

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Clarity, always clarity.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

A. You are confused. This is Fillinger’s commitment thread that has only existed a few hours. You’ve been clicking it daily?

B. Related to A, but if you have somehow been clicking this thread daily, it would explain why you don’t recall his name coming up.

C. You meant that you click on the 2020 Recruiting thread daily. Fine.

D. His name has been mentioned on that thread fairly often.

E. Lurk more, post less on the recruiting threads since you clearly have no idea why this was a good take.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1