2020 DL Van Fillinger

40 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. That's my point. Like I said he may be a badass, but none of the blue bloods seem to care nor do the agencies.

(Correction:  Saban's desk..)

37 NFL Pro Bowl Players Were 3-Star Recruits (Or Worse)

(College football recruiting tools are great, but how accurate are they in determining a player's NFL ?)

The best 250-300 players in the nation earn a 4-star designation, while only about 25 prospects per year are tabbed 5-star recruits. These are the blue-chippers.  So how much do these recruiting rankings really matter? It's hard to tell. They certainly matter for the prospects themselves, who live and die by these stars. It matters for college football fans as well -- always nice to hear your school landed a four or five-star guy. But as far as projecting the true potential of these athletes? It's not an exact science. A quick look at this year's 2017 NFL Pro Bowl roster is telling. 

Jake Steinberg did a little research surrounding this year's Pro Bowl roster. He found 37 of the 88 players headed to the NFL Pro Bowl were 3-star or lower recruits. Interesting stuff.  Let's take a look at some 2017 NFL Pro Bowlers, and where they were ranked coming out of high school. 

Three-Star Recruits in the Pro Bowl

Aaron Rodgers  QB California  Packers    Dak Prescott  QB Mississippi State  Cowboys    Matt Ryan  QB Boston College Falcons    Le'Veon Bell  RB Michigan State  Steelers    Mike Evans WR Texas A&M Buccaneers    Brandon Scherff OL Iowa  Redskins   David DeCastro  OL Stanford  Steelers    Travis Frederick  OL Wisconsin  Cowboys   Trent Williams  OL Oklahoma  Redskins    Travis Kelce  TE Cincinnati Chiefs   Casey Hayward DB Vanderbilt  Chargers   Devin McCourty  DB Rutgers Patriots    Marcus Peters DB Washington  Chiefs   Richard Sherman  DB Stanford  Seahawks    Brian Orakpo  LB Texas  Titans    Luke Kuechly LB Boston College  Panthers   Ryan Kerrigan  LB Purdue  Redskins    Vic Beasley  LB Clemson  Falcons    Von Miller  LB Texas A&M Broncos    Marshal Yanda  OL Iowa  Ravens   Kelechi Osemele OL Iowa State  Raiders   Aaron Donald  DT Pittsburgh  Rams   Geno Atkins  DT Georgia  Bengals    Cliff Avril  DE Purdue  Seahawks    Jurrell Casey  DE USC Titans    Justin Tucker  PK Texas  Ravens  

Two-Star Recruits in the Pro Bowl

T.Y. Hilton  WR Florida International  Colts    Aquib Talib  CB Kansas  Broncos    Khalil Mack  LB Buffalo  Raiders    Bobby Wagner  LB Utah State  Seahawks    T.J. Lang  OL Eastern Michigan  Packers    Pat McAfee P West Virginia  Colts   

No-Star Recruits in the Pro Bowl
          Tom Brady  QB Michigan  Patriots    Ben Roethlisberger QB Miami (OH)  Steelers   Antonio Brown  WR Central Michigan  Steelers    Kyle Juszczyk FB Harvard  Ravens   Mike Tolbert  FB Coastal Carolina  Panthers    Delanie Walker TE Central Missouri  Titans    Donald Penn  OL Utah State  Raiders    Chris Harris  CB Kansas Broncos    Lorenzo Alexander  LB California  Bills    Thomas Davis  LB Georgia  Panthers    Michael Bennett  DE Texas A&M  Seahawks    David Johnson  RB Northern Iowa Cardinals    Matthew Slater RS UCLA  Patriots   

https://m.herosports.com/news/nfl-pro-bowl-players-3-star-college-football-recruits

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu.

Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? I'm in no way discounting him, he may be great but I am obviously missing something. A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

People probably asked Saban why he took Josh Jacobs. OU offered late and Texas never offered. I’m pretty sure he was a 3*. Sometimes you have to watch the film (highlights) and do your homework. 

• Like 1

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu.

Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? I'm in no way discounting him, he may be great but I am obviously missing something. A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

Ksu wishes they had an avg of 373.

• Like 1

People probably asked Saban why he took Josh Jacobs. OU offered late and Texas never offered. I’m pretty sure he was a 3*. Sometimes you have to watch the film (highlights) and do your homework. 
Sweet, so saban hit on a 3 star, and you already have van playing on sundays. You are absolutely missing my point.
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:
13 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:
Yes, and tell that Markstanco dude why this is a good thing.  

Also tell that dumbass markstanco why he is at 373 and this is an awesome get.

He’s Polynesian Brian Robison, motherfucker.  Chill out and smoke some dope.  Do some fucking thing!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:
53 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Sweet, so saban hit on a 3 star, and you already have van playing on sundays. You are absolutely missing my point.

Nobody is saying we should turn down 5 stars for 3 stars or guaranteeing Pro success. Every class is going to have some 3 stars and Van is the type of 3 star you want - great physical gifts and huge upside. If he doesn’t develop I trust Herman to manage the roster, unlike Mack. You are trying to dampen reactions that are already properly adjusted. 

• Like 1

Maybe I'd waffle if we had to pick him over Collins, but over another option like Princely, I think this is the perfect high 3-star.  Some reasonable questions and maybe lack of exposure causing his current ranking, but very raw upside possibilities that a good coach can get excited about to develop, etc.  Maybe I'm the only one kind of amazed at just a stupid shuttle run, but that's better than a lot of NFL players going at it every Sunday right now.  Yeah, he won't be 250 later...but still...As much as I have scratched my head sometimes at certain coaching moves (play calling and time management as two examples at times) I actually have pretty good faith so far in how they are evaluating the type of players they want.  I'm also very confident he won't be a 3 star at the end.

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. That's my point. Like I said he may be a badass, but none of the blue bloods seem to care nor do the agencies.

I dont think Saban has to work that hard. Today, we have to.

This staff evaluates talent and they are pretty good at it. Lets pray they always do it.  We bitched and moaned about the lack of good evaluations during the back half of Browns tenure. Now our staff is actually busting their ass and doing their jobs. Sometimes they agree with the agencies/blue bloods and sometimes they don't. Case in point: Tyler Owens. Agencies finally caught up...BOMC/aggy conspiracy bullshit notwithstanding.

He is also from Utah. $9.95rs probably aren't giving a lot of effort here. Its not low hanging fruit.

Let the aggys jerk each other off with $9.95 evals. 

To your point, hes got the potential to be a badass. Its up to our staff to make it so.  

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

The last Kansas State signee that was ranked #373 or better was in the '13 recruiting class. You are not good at this. 

You are stupid. Fillinger is the 3rd DL take with measurements that project a high ceiling.  Also, you do realize that recruiting rankings shift? Rivals is lagging behind the other two services and at some point will probably bump Fillinger to a 4 star. There was a rivals guy earlier today saying that Fillinger was in line for a bump. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, markstanco said:
38 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Are you drunk? At least take this stupid point of yours  you’ve posted 10 times to the 2020 thread, and get this shit off his commitment thread.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. 

What are you arguing? 

Alabama's 2020 recruiting class has 4 commits that are ranked below #373. You are either incredibly dumb and incapable of doing a little research or you're trolling. I hope you're trolling. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, markstanco said:
55 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Maybe because the $9.95ers doing the rankings actually do a poor job of it sometimes?  Just spitballing...

41 minutes ago, markstanco said:
1 hour ago, Chili dog said:

His rating in the composite is .8884, and anything over .8900 is a 4-star. The smallest of smallest update to the rankings and he's a 4-star and then you probably think he's a good take, even though nothing about him has changed.

7 hours ago, Baconboy said:

What are you talking about? 247 shows offers from 5/8 of the blue bloods (USC, Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Texas). He also has offers from LSU, UCLA, and Washington. I get he’s a 3 star but plenty of quality schools offered him.

Does Nebraska really count anymore?

6 hours ago, markstanco said:
6 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Man who pissed in your Cheerios? He's an awesome DL3 take, as Machinator said. No one's looking for the second coming of Christian Wilkins here.

44 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Does Nebraska really count anymore?

Probably not for being considered an elite offer in recruiting, but Stanco’s the one who chose to use the term “blue blood”, not me. I agree they aren’t what they used to be and probably never will be, but they’re still a historic blue blood.

This guy is a mother fucking pipe hitter.  These takes are perfect and necessary.  This guy's got a high ceiling and a fucking motor.  Go shit in someone's bed with all this nonsense.  This is the exact type of kid you see go to other programs and start wreaking shop.  As stated, a Brian Robinson clone.  If you're looking for his number on the field.  It's this one:

tumblr_m4i1zp0Xd51r9eoylo3_250.gif

• Like 4

I think you need a mixture of high floor, lower ceiling players as well as the more high ceiling, low floor players.   Obviously, the highest ranked players tend to be more of the high floor/high ceiling types but this staff has done a great job of identifying and acquiring talent beyond the no brainer players.

As the hopefully 3rd take on the defensive line, Fillinger offers that high floor player, who has some measureables (elite shuttle) which may translate to unexpected athleticism.  He's also a high effort, relentless player who will be great in terms of culture fit and program mentality.  

Very, very excited about this pickup.  He's a guy that needs a couple years to percolate and then unleash as a RS soph.  

Additionally, and this is probably an old guy preference but I'm a fan of players that have low key recruitments.  

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Man who pissed in your Cheerios? He's an awesome DL3 take, as Machinator said. No one's looking for the second coming of Christian Wilkins here.

He’s an aggy troll. I’d love to hear his explanation of how the cinder blocks in their OL class are going to keep Case’s reincarnation in one piece. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, Chili dog said:

I think you’re missing mine. This guy is a great take because he is a great football player. His film looks good. His numbers look good. Sometimes the rankings are wrong and the coaches are right. If you can’t watch his highlights and look at his combine numbers and understand why we took him, you can plan to be frustrated by recruiting. If I’m missing your point, so is everyone else. Why don’t you make a better point? 

30 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I think you need a mixture of high floor, lower ceiling players as well as the more high ceiling, low floor players.   Obviously, the highest ranked players tend to be more of the high floor/high ceiling types but this staff has done a great job of identifying and acquiring talent beyond the no brainer players.

As the hopefully 3rd take on the defensive line, Fillinger offers that high floor player, who has some measureables (elite shuttle) which may translate to unexpected athleticism.  He's also a high effort, relentless player who will be great in terms of culture fit and program mentality.  

Very, very excited about this pickup.  He's a guy that needs a couple years to percolate and then unleash as a RS soph.  

Additionally, and this is probably an old guy preference but I'm a fan of players that have low key recruitments.  

I don't know how old you are, but as an older age millennial, I too, appreciate low key recruitments.

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Every time markstanco posts on the recruiting board, I’m surprised by how dumb/misinformed his comments are. 

This string of posts is no exception.

I really think he’s a troll. This level of density has to be embellished. I keep waiting for someone to tell me I’ve been markstanco’d.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

I dont know why anyone engages with him. Its obvious he’s watched zero film, doesn’t understand recruiting multiple takes at the same positions in one class, and can’t/doesn’t know how to read or fathom that kids like these land in Alabama’s classes every year. And everyone else’s. Ive been reading his posts for a decade, if he’s a troll he’s the most patient, consistent one I’ve ever seen in a thankless manner of trolling. There’s no payoff or gotcha, if the dude really gets his rocks off from having people smarter than him have to explain obvious shit to him 4-5 times while he goes “huh,” well, then my hats off to his trolling wizardry. But My money is on Occsm’s Razor and the fact he’s a rock-headed idiot. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know why anyone engages with him. Its obvious he’s watched zero film, doesn’t understand recruiting multiple takes at the same positions in one class, and can’t/doesn’t know how to read or fathom that kids like these land in Alabama’s classes every year. And everyone else’s. Ive been reading his posts for a decade, if he’s a troll he’s the most patient, consistent one I’ve ever seen in a thankless manner of trolling. There’s no payoff or gotcha, if the dude really gets his rocks off from having people smarter than him have to explain obvious shit to him 4-5 times while he goes “huh,” well, then my hats off to his trolling wizardry. But My money is on Occsm’s Razor and the fact he’s a rock-headed idiot. 

Great quote I heard recently: 

"When you try to argue with a fool, that proves there are two."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

I found markstanco

D_z-fH3U4AAjtsy?format=jpg&name=small

Lulz at using 40 times as any sort of metric for DL, especially the school whose recruiting created the term human cube. I don’t even think Raikes could run 40 yards at once.

I’ve never seen a fan base that is as uniformly terrible at analyzing line play as aggy, it’s truly impressive. They have 0 idea what makes a good linemen because, generally, they’re idiots, and more specifically,  they’ve been parroting this SEC LOS league bullshit for so long as an excuse for their crappy takes. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Great quote I heard recently: 

"When you try to argue with a fool, that proves there are two."

Mark Twain:

”Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” 

Edited by Chili dog
Corrected the quote
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve never seen a fan base that is as uniformly terrible at analyzing line play as aggy, it’s truly impressive. They have 0 idea what makes a good linemen because, generally, they’re idiots, and more specifically,  they’ve been parroting this SEC LOS league bullshit for so long as an excuse for their crappy takes. 

What boggles the mind is how consistently this has been true through several coaching changes now. With a brief spike thanks to Mike Sherman's superior OLs, aggy line play on both sides of the ball has been absurdly underperforming, either as a function of recruiting (on the OL) or scheme (on the DL) coupled with a lackadaisical culture (See: Mack, Daylon). They point to Myles Garrett as the be-all-end-all of defensive linemen, without remembering that against quality opponents, he simply disappeared. His performance since he joined the NFL suggests that the reason he disappeared was not a lack of talent.

So.... what was it?

Hint: it's been a part of why aggy hasn't won anything in 80 years.

As to your basic point, yeah, they can look at a guy with a decent frame and no bad weight, high powerball and fast shuttle measurements, and not realize he's a highly coachable take. They'd rather have the fat-ball dudes. Hey, more power to 'em.

• Like 1