2020 DL Van Fillinger

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Haha bitter aggys are bitter. “Mountain Conference Type Player...”

Yeah, those guys get offers from USC, Oregon, UW, LSU, Mich, tOSU, etc.

It's just because he's from Utah and someone mentioned Boise State as one of his offers. That and I'm not sure they've realized Utah and Colorado are in the Pac.

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's just because he's from Utah and someone mentioned Boise State as one of his offers. That and I'm not sure they've realized Utah and Colorado are in the Pac.

Those clowns aren't yet aware the check cleared on the Louisiana Purchase. 

16 hours ago, sushihorn said:

1) Two ratings services rank Fillinger as a 4-star.  The composite rank of 0.8884 puts him right at the top of the 3-star range.  That begins at 0.8903.

2) He's a multi-sport star, which Coach Herman values very highly for demonstrated athleticism.

3) Absurd measurables - Tons of upside for Fillinger. 

4) Impressive offer list - suggests that Texas isn't the only team that thinks he's a good player

5) Ranking trend - Fillinger's recruiting stock has been rising steadily this year.  As more information has come in, his ranking has moved up considerably.  No reason to believe he won't be a consensus 4-star soon.

6) Location - much more likely to be overlooked in Utah which isn't exactly saturated with scouts.  May help to explain #5 as well.

7) Work ethic:  He's a guy that will fit right into and reinforce the culture that Texas Football is building.

8 ) Staff evaluation - Demonstrated well above the norm in the past.  With higher rates players still on the board this suggest to me that the staff has Fillinger rated above some of those players or at a minimum quite close in ability so taking the bird in the hand is more than worthwhile.

9) Commitment - Fillinger sought out Texas, not vice versa.  He really wants to be here and the staff won't have to commit a lot of precious time and effort to keeping him in the fold.  Considering how much work still has to be done to fill the 2020 class that's important.  It's especially true when measured against so many teams with 16-20 commits already.

I would merely add to this that Polynesians have a reputation for possessing high motors, which translates into hard workers who will run through a wall for their team.  Princely, for all his ability, appears to prefer leaning against said wall.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chili dog said:

He’s an aggy troll. I’d love to hear his explanation of how the cinder blocks in their OL class are going to keep Case’s reincarnation in one piece. 

I don't think he's an aggy troll, but his post was a God-awful take of Old Testament proportion.

This is a really interesting pickup. Looking at the little bit of highlights, he seems to do some good work on the interior and uses his hands pretty well. I would love to see him grow into a guy that could be a 285 pound plug at 4i and shift down into a penetrating 3 technique. Pardon me aggy if our defensive tackles don't run 4.5. Daylon Mack seems to be the new standard at defensive line these days due to his dominant career. This feels like a Sam Cosmiesque eval by the staff.

Edited by Vertigo

21 hours ago, sushihorn said:

9) Commitment - Fillinger sought out Texas, not vice versa.  He really wants to be here and the staff won't have to commit a lot of precious time and effort to keeping him in the fold. 

any backstory on this?  does he have family in texas?  kind of odd for a utah poly to just want to come to austin.  or maybe it’s not, I guess. 

27 minutes ago, futureman said:

any backstory on this?  does he have family in texas?  kind of odd for a utah poly to just want to come to austin.  or maybe it’s not, I guess. 

The non-Mormon inhabitants of Utah comprise several hundred thousand fairly cool people with literally nothing worthwhile to do. The ones who look East instead of West fit in with Austin every bit as well as their counterparts fit in with L.A.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Caveat: I have no idea what VF's religion is, nor do I care. This is a cultural generalization, not a competition, so please, no wagering.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, futureman said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-Van-Fillinger-commits-to-Texas-Tom-Herman-Draper-Corner-Canyon--133752214/

the staff had a link to him as one of his high school coaches played for Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando while at Utah State.

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

Thanks for the link, that clears up the connection  piece. Nice get.  Incidentally, wrapped in that article is a snippet about Desmond Harrison getting arrested, didn’t realize he started 8 games (albeit for the Browns) in the NFL before washing out and getting cut for being a no -show. 

16 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yeah, the problem with Vertigo's comparison with Mack is that aggy wouldn't understand the sarcasm. They honestly don't realize how bad Mack's football IQ is, let alone how lazy he is.

I only go for eyebrow humour you illeterate fucks

14 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Love this pick up. Any clue how hard we're going after Logan- Redding? He looks like a beast as a DE. Is his composite low due to playing in Missouri? 

His rating’s about right. He’s just not that good. Probably isn’t a take for us now.

• Like 2

On 7/19/2019 at 10:23 AM, SydneyCarton said:

I dont know why anyone engages with him. Its obvious he’s watched zero film, doesn’t understand recruiting multiple takes at the same positions in one class, and can’t/doesn’t know how to read or fathom that kids like these land in Alabama’s classes every year. And everyone else’s. Ive been reading his posts for a decade, if he’s a troll he’s the most patient, consistent one I’ve ever seen in a thankless manner of trolling. There’s no payoff or gotcha, if the dude really gets his rocks off from having people smarter than him have to explain obvious shit to him 4-5 times while he goes “huh,” well, then my hats off to his trolling wizardry. But My money is on Occsm’s Razor and the fact he’s a rock-headed idiot

You live in our neighborhood too? 😁

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...